Sport Bikes banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having some issues starting my 94 ZX-11. I changed the battery and everything worked great. The old battery was in bad shape. Now the problem is, that if I leave the bike sit more than a day and try and start it, the power dumps like the battery is dead. But if I keep holding the starter button after everything dies, there is about a 10-15 second pause, then the bike comes to life and starts right up. This only happens after the bike sits for a while. The only thing I can think of is the starter is on it's last leg? Any thoughts? I thought the battery was low, but when I hook up the charger, the light shows fully charged after a minute.

·
Squid Poacher
1,831 Posts
I second loose connection.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
primary choice is loose connection and causing the starter to really work for it to overcome the now added resistance.

check your battery terminal connections and starter solenoid connections.

I had something like that happen to me back when I rode my 94 zx7 and it turned out to be the battery terminal arcd against the subframe a few times melting the terminal.........never blew a fuse but I had a glob of lead barely holding the cable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All right I need some more help. I changed the starter relay and the bike worked fine. A couple of days later it did the same shit, then blew the relay fuse. I checked all the connections, had NAPA check the battery and now I'm back to the square one (see original post). I looked at the alternator and it checks fine. I got a reading a 12.3 after riding the bike. I charged it up to a 12.9. Started the bike and it dropped to a 11.2. After it was started I got a 15.3. I have a gut feeling the test NAPA did was bad. Why would my battery only read a 12.3 when the alternator is putting out over 14.00?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
It's not clear from you post which numbers are with the engine running and which aren't. A good battery with ignition off should read around 13V. With the starter running about 11V. With the engine running about 14V. If your charging system is putting over 15V across the battery, your voltage regulator may be over-charging the battery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.