Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, new user and equally new rider. I haven't yet purchased my bike--I want to go ahead and take the MSF course first, get my license proper (I have a permit now, and have tooled around in a parking lot on a friend's Burgman a couple times.)

I was looking into buying an R6--err, that's a different thread. Seriously, though, I was looking into buying a Ninja 250, and was wondering if anybody had any experience with one as a starter bike. I've heard the "You'll get tired of it" argument enough, and I honestly don't think I will--but I figure even if I do, it's better to get bored of a slower bike and learn, than get scared on a b***** bike and spill.

Anyway, since this is going to be a starter, I'm not worried about horses, speed, et al. If anyone has some nice, verified(!!) information about things like maintenance, reliability, and gas mileage and wouldn't mind offering some info, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'll throw in my .02 since I started on one.

Mine was a great bike. It had 20,000 miles on it but it was cheap and reliable. I sold it for the same amount I bought it for in fact. I was able to build my confidence and riding ability on it. In the end it made me appreciate the more powerful bikes I would get later on too. If I hadn't needed the money to buy another bike, I would probably still have it today. You cannot go wrong with the littlest Ninja.

Edit...Here's a photo I dug up of it next to my car!
Ooops, I had to resize it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Well, if this is your first bike you may not know that wearable parts (ie tires, clutches) don't last nearly as long on motorcycles. So expect to spend more $$ there than you might for a car that you put equal miles on. There aren't many unreliable Japanese motorcycles though, so don't worry about major things too much. I've heard that the 250 gets about 70mpg.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Nice to see someone with a great attitude. Good luck and enjoy. I started on a 250 Rebel, and it scared the hell out of me for the first month or so.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Great starter. Let's you build your skills without scaring you witless. Rode an '01 last season (borrowed). Really helped a lot. Moving up to a 500cc was easy because of it I think.

·
Super Moderator
18,633 Posts
Ninja 500 or Suzuki 500...Great bikes, can't go wrong with either...

All I have a pic of is the Zuki...I was at the dealer today and it looks sweet in person...

Attachments

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I was told to look at the Ninja 500, and the Suzuki GS500F, but myself, I'd rather start small. I want to have something I can really *LEARN* on without being forced to learn lessons the hard way. Thus, the N250.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I went from never having riden a cycle in my life.. no dirtbikes no nothing... to hoping on a Honda CBR600F2 as my first cycle.

I didnt' have any issues at all but I dont' know if I would reccomend it. So really why am I talking? Move along.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 250 rocks. I've been riding for over 20 years and stopped counting mileage after 100K. I bought a new 04 about a month ago for two reasons, a) so I could take my daughter out riding(My VFR has left side hi mount exhaust, hence no passenger pegs), and b) to test first hand Kawasaki reliability before I plop down the big bucks for a ZX-12R(Unless Honda gets off their ass and makes me a 1000cc VFR).

The baby Ninja is a BLAST to ride. I have more flat out fun on it than my b***** bike. I think that is because the bike gives LOTS of warning, in a very predictable way, before it is pushed over the edge of its capability. I can experiment with sliding the front, trail braking, the effects wierd throttle inputs, etc. at very sane speeds. In other words, I can learn how most bikes will react to dumb things I do as a rider, without paying in flesh. It only cost me a bit over $3400 OTD.

I live only 25 miles from Deal's Gap. Up there it is hard for liter bikes to keep up with it. It's low speed handling is awesome. The peg feelers are nothing but little nubs now, and I had to remove the centerstand so it wouldn't drag, otherwise the bike has been perfect so far in 1500 miles of HARD riding. It rarely sees less than 8K on the tach in the twisties, and the motor seems to be happy to work that hard. It will cruise happily, if a bit buzzily, at 75mph on the freeway. The bad stuff: The front tire is starting to cup already, but that's not surprising given the soft forks and my fat 205 lb. butt on the seat performing traction experiments at high lean angles. The suspension is WAY soft front and rear(see 205lb butt). The brakes are not very good, but that's not a bad thing on a bike geared for new riders. A set of SS lines would probably help tons.

Anyway, here's the less than 4 lines part:

Buy one, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
EricKC said:
I went from never having riden a cycle in my life.. no dirtbikes no nothing... to hoping on a Honda CBR600F2 as my first cycle.

I didnt' have any issues at all but I dont' know if I would reccomend it. So really why am I talking? Move along.
I kind of did the same, started on a '96 Ninja 600R. I also dropped it the first day, not a fun experience. All in all I *wish* I'd have started smaller.

M.

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
Hagios said:
Hey, new user and equally new rider. I haven't yet purchased my bike--I want to go ahead and take the MSF course first, get my license proper (I have a permit now, and have tooled around in a parking lot on a friend's Burgman a couple times.)

I was looking into buying an R6--err, that's a different thread. Seriously, though, I was looking into buying a Ninja 250, and was wondering if anybody had any experience with one as a starter bike. I've heard the "You'll get tired of it" argument enough, and I honestly don't think I will--but I figure even if I do, it's better to get bored of a slower bike and learn, than get scared on a b***** bike and spill.

Anyway, since this is going to be a starter, I'm not worried about horses, speed, et al. If anyone has some nice, verified(!!) information about things like maintenance, reliability, and gas mileage and wouldn't mind offering some info, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

I started out on it and even still have it!! Great bike, very forgiving and as one of my friends said, "you ride the balls off of that 250" Don't listen to all those people who say you will be bored--going in a straight line is pretty boring--most of the people who tell you that anyway probably have never set foot on a track--that's what I tell people like that and 9 times out of 10 they haven't done anything like that---soooo bored as in what???

It gets good gas mileage etc. Learn well on it and you will be a better rider to move up to a larger bike later on. I always ask these people too--what is the rush??? Bikes are always going to be for sale--they aren't going anywhere!! DOH!! ;)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
As most have already said. The Kaw 250 is the way to go as a first bike. Best of the 250s probably anyway. Kaw has been making it for quite a while. Handling is good, brakes good, suspension is a bit soft though. Take care of it and you can probably get most of your money back as they can easily be sold to the mest person in your shoes looking for something like this.

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I considered the GS500F, but I can't flatfoot it. As it is, I figure the EX250 is the way to go.

Also, I was recently told that Kaw isn't producing the Ninja 250s as EX250s anymore--now they're called GPX250s. Anyone have any information on this?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I started on a 250 and my girlfriend is currently learning on one as well. I can't imagine not learning on it because I made some mistakes on it that I know would have been much worse had aI been on a b***** bike. It handled really well, I upgraded the suspension with a shock off a ZX6 and planned to do the forks. There really is a cult following to them, check out http://www.ninja250.com and lastly, but one, you will not regret it

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought one as a second bike since I got a hell of a deal on it. I love riding the little thing. My brother is currently learning to ride on it too. The only real complaint I have is the soft suspension, but that can be easily taken care of. Anyone who says "250's aren't fun" or "you'll get bored on it", doesn't have a true passion for riding.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Cicada said:
i want this bike as my first:

:drool:
hehe :D i got one of those...decent first bike...just enough power to get you into trouble. I think it's about as fast as a EX500, well mine was...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts