Sport Bikes banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you all go for parts and service?

Being new to the area I finally realized that I need to find a bike shop to deal with (since a taillight is out). I was just wondering what the word is on Star City Motorsports in Lincoln or where do you go otherwise? It seems to be a huge place so I'm leery of price gouging and bad service. In Chicago there's a place called Downer's Grove Yamaha and they're just awful. I don't think I've ever read a good review of the place but they stay in business somehow.

I don't want a repeat experience but I don't want waste this good weather by ordering parts online. By the way, how is Powersports Pro in Omaha? I went there during the winter and I wasn't impressed.

Thanks and Ride Safe,

Mark

·
Registered
101 Posts
Star City is ok. I just bought a Polaris Predator from 'em. I still wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of the place though as I've had some friends have some issues with them. I've bought some parts from them if it was stuff that I had to have right now. Otherwise, I usually go to Lincoln Cycle & ATV if at all possible. They don't have a ton of stuff as they are a small shop, but they treat you right when you come in. If I go there, I just bank on whatever I'm after having to be ordered and am alright with it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply and sorry for the slow response. I actually went there today and was not even a little bit impressed. They didn't really have a huge selection of bikes (which is okay because the season is winding down). They DID have the SparX line of helmets, which was nice. They didn't have the part I needed but I can order it online since it's just a bulb. The staff wasn't really friendly or helpful (not that they were jerks, just not great service) so I think I'll try to go to Lincoln Cycle & ATV in the future.

It amazes me that there is so little customer service in most motorcycle shops. It's like, if you're not buying a bike they don't really care to be nice. There was a shop in Iowa (Struthers Bros.) that had a really cool staff. Of course, we were buying at the time so maybe that was the reason for it. Still, it seems like a lot of people think they're doing you a favor by taking your money.

Oh well...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yep, your thoughts pretty much mirror mine on the place.

Like I said, I go there if I think that I absolutely have to have something right now. Otherwise if I know I can wait for something, I'd rather give the little guy the business. Lincoln Cycle & ATV is pretty much a little hole of a shop, and they mostly deal with dirtbikes, & quads. Don't take it the wrong way though, 'cause they worked on my R1, and ordered a lot of parts for it as well.......and they'll do what they can to beat Star City's prices!

·
SBN Grand Master
53 Posts
I liked Star City better when they were at the old location near the airport. They had great prices back then on tires and bikes, and if they were not too busy, they would spoon on new rubber in less than an hour. Since they moved to their new location, seems like most of the deals dried up. I have not had any tire service done at the new location so I cannot say if that is still the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Powersports Pro, or Dillon Brothers as it's called now, is horrible. I have never had work done there, but their prices on parts are ridiculous. I bought my bike from there and got handled. Then when i went to buy a new exhaust they quoted me a price $100 more than DSR and wouldn't drop it. I also bought parts for my old bike there, and it just seems like they should give you a thing of lube with every purchase since you're more than likely getting f***ed. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
148 Posts
When I was living in Lincoln I used a place on South Hwy. 77 like you're headed to Beatrice. I don't remember the name now but I never had a qualm with them about anything. Also used Star City on rare occasion but they seemed pretty high priced compared. The place on Hwy. 77 South is nearly out of the city limits, if it's not just past. It's on the west side of the highway, a gas station on the right. Someone will surely chime in with the name.... good luck

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went into Star City on the way home from work yesterday and they didn't seem too bad, just not a great place. I tried on some helmets and the chick who was working that section seemed nice (although I'd guess she had no clue about helmets). She tried to convince me to order a helmet that wasn't in stock but she wasn't too pushy about it. They did have the FZ6R Raven Edition, which was why I went in the first place. It looks much better in the flesh than in the pictures (which aren't bad, IMO). Also got to hear the Ninja 650r (with modded exhaust) in person and decided it's not a bad bike after all.

It was a very productive trip but if I buy anything from that place I'll have know exactly what I'm looking for and how much it should cost.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Rod's seemed to me to work with you easier than what star city did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts