Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help with Stand up wheelies.. Got the sit downs working.. but I tried a couple stand ups, because during sit downs, I cant see where I'm going when I bring it up high....
I tried standing up, and it feels like I *almost* lose my grip every time I let the clutch out. It scares the shit out of me..
What do you do and how do you do it, so you dont lose your grip during the initial lunge, before the wheel comes up..

Also, are you just out of your seat a little bit, or are your legs straight, with your butt in the air?

·
Banned
436 Posts
I had the same problem, standing up on the pegs and slipping the clutch felt really unsafe. I think its one of those things just like finding the balance point that takes time and practice. I think it feels like your losing your grip at first because your slipping the clutch and staying on the power accelerating. In time you can just launch the front up without too much inertia from acceleration.

Standups are definitely way better since your able to see whats infront of you. I never do sitdowns anymore because you never know if your riding towards a pothole or something.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i stay squatted. that way it's your legs, not your arms absorbing the bike. also, giving it more throttle sends it up more than forward. helps keep it from lurching.

then agian, im 6'8" and it's probly a lot diff for me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You gotta just do it, don't think about it. Try first gear round 3k, clutch it more and more alittle bit at a time gettin the front wheel higher and higher each time untill your comfy. Also try puttin your left leg on the rear passenger peg and make sure you keep the rear brake covered!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I do em in 2nd gear about 50-55 just bounce "straight" down on the pegs and crack the throttle. Timing is important and I found out that doing them standing up you feel alot higher on the wheelie then you are with sitdowns... i got a pick of me doing one and I have a ways to go before balance point. At least I am getting it up on a consistant basis.. and my wheelies are coming along too :lao :lao

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
like wangsta said - "yank that shit"

·
Registered
60 Posts
Pow, Pow, Powerwheelies suck! Clutch it. You know any pro's that power wheelies up the majority of the time? No, becuase clutching is better for stunting, maybe not for the bike. lol

·
shut up & Ride!!
234 Posts
Definately clutch it up! It's a lot more predictable. Try putting your left foot on the passenger peg and the right foot ALWAYS covering the rear brake. It will feel funny at first, but once you learn to balance your weight evenly, it's the easiest thing to do. It'll come up a lot faster, so be carefull!!!! Once you start getting them tall enough, it gets easier to use the rear brake to slow them down.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You guys that clutch it standing... I've started messing with this,,, But I feel like I don't have enough grip to hang on, In normal riding use the 2-3 outside fingers to operate the clutch. ( middle to pinky) That only leaves 1-2 to grip the left bar. I've heard use 1 finger to clutch but it feels like there is no control If I need to bring it back in. What finger (s), do most of you clutch with??
Does it pull that much harder standing the sitting?

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
i clutch with my index finger only. you guys need to start wacking off more or something if your forearms are that weak... :newbie

·
Registered
456 Posts
i use my middle finger, this way i still got alot of grip on the bar. and i lean back to the point im kinda squating over the rear. just a tibit of the clutch and im up where i need to be. the more forward you are less likely youll come up high. lean back more when clutching it up and youll be basically upright with the bike when it comes up.

·
Registered
139 Posts
snigg said:
i clutch with my index finger only. you guys need to start wacking off more or something if your forearms are that weak... :newbie

I'll have you know I wack off plenty! , I do it so much I..... I, aa umm I mean, My forearm strenth is fine, excuse me.... gotta go. :bitchslap

Thanks, I'll have to practice 1 finger clutch more. It just dont feel natural yet. I'll Keep exercising more. :bitchslap :lao

·
RLPoloArgyleSweaters,Son!
1,272 Posts
supersport929 said:
I'll have you know I wack off plenty!
He said "I wack off plenty..." :lol

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
kern0079 said:
Index finger, staggered standup, straighten your legs out, cover your rear brake, grow some balls.
:eek:nfloor some balls, huh? I like my balls.. If I frag my bike because I get too gutsy, my wife will cut them off.... Baby steps..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, I'm in the same situation. Sitdown's are pretty easy now, clutching them up in 1st & 2nd. I really want to use the staggered stance. But I'm 6'2 and when I do straighten out my left leg my head ends up over the headlight. If I try straightening up my other leg then my left leg is really bent. I'm going to keep practicing, I'm thinking about going ahead and putting my foot on the rear peg before I bring the bike up then after it is up try standing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i've been toying around with something similar (im 6'8"). i put left foot on pass peg *while sitting* and it it come up, then just kinda roll my weight up to stand. it felt a lot better than i thought it would, but the bike did get pretty squirly on me first few times i tried it. then again, i dont lower my tire pressure any so my bike is pretty sensitive to weight change.

·
Go #214!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2,390 Posts
I know on my 600 I can bounce them in 3rd gear on the highway. I really don't see much of a need to use the clutch (although one of my buddies on a CBR1000 uses clutch). Try getting your bounces down in 2nd gear then move to 3rd. Keep in mind on a 600 you may have to give it quite the bounce and have your timing pretty decent, but I know its possible.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts