Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i got 1st and 2nd gear wheelies down pretty good to where i feel comfortable had some approx 2-300 yds in 2nd i just feel if i could stand up at a higher speed i could get much closer to the balance point and be smooth there..how do u got about standing up,what i mean is do you stand up then clutch/power up the wheelie or do you get it up then stand up as it comes up?thanks

·
Registered
332 Posts
I just bounce mine around 35-40mph. If you're looking for the balance point I suggest finding some slight uphills. Because you're already going uphill the balance "feels" lower than it does than going on flat ground, but keep in mind that physics dictates that it IS at the same point, so you can still flip that shit real easy. Cover the rear brake!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Whats up guys? I just started doing stand ups the other day, Im getting up there but not quite to the balancing point. What should i do when the bike gets really light while in the air, I mean when i get it up in the air at first its kinda hard but then it feels like its getting lighter and smoother does that mean i just need to go just a little more throttle to get to the balancing point or am i close at all if the bikes doing that?

·
Registered
133 Posts
kneescraper1 said:
Whats up guys? I just started doing stand ups the other day, Im getting up there but not quite to the balancing point. What should i do when the bike gets really light while in the air, I mean when i get it up in the air at first its kinda hard but then it feels like its getting lighter and smoother does that mean i just need to go just a little more throttle to get to the balancing point or am i close at all if the bikes doing that?
the closer you are to the balance point the 'lighter' the bike will feel. this is because weight is transfered from front/rear to entirely balanced on the rear well. therefore you will be fighting with less weight as you get closer to being balanced.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
once u get the wheel up past a certain point it'll feel light, but its not balanced. you'll hear rpms drop and it'll be floating when your at BP

·
Registered
117 Posts
not to jack the thread- but quick question...

when everyone says to cover the rear brake, what happens when you have to jab the rear brake because you are higher than you anticipated? I mean in a panic situation, you would probably jab it hard, right? With all the weight there and everything.... so wouldnt you just fall down if you stopped the rear wheel ?

Has anyone ever done it?

I dont wheelie or anything (yet)... but curious as to how that works...

thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
snigg said:
you hit the rear brake and the front end slams back down to earth, thus saving you from looping

yea man, I understand that. But wouldnt the quick stabbing motion lock the rear wheel, or stop it so fast that the front would come down really really hard and you would headshake, or just fall off because of the immediate weight transfer/loss of balance....?

Sorry for being so naive.... but it seems liek a crappy failsafe.... maybe its not as big of a deal as i think it is.

·
Registered
33 Posts
you just hit it quickly to get the front to lower. you don't need to hold it once the front starts going forward. And with the angles of your feet, i don't think you'd be able to hit it hard enough or long enough to lock the wheel.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I don't know why it went to the inside like that. I guess I probably just pulled it up funny or something. I'm assuming you're talking about the vid where I didn't stand up.

·
Registered
133 Posts
abruptly chopping the throttle will cause you to drop harder than hitting the brake. unless you stand on the brake lever, and in that case your going to tip over anyway

1 - 17 of 17 Posts