Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've started practicing my stand ups on my 2004 GSXR 600. Other than the Yoshi bolt on, it's bone stock. I've managed to get a couple of 3 footers but the rest are inch high or nothing at all. I know my problem is just timing and lack of practice, but any tips would be much appreciated.

Here's my technique:

1. Rolling about 35-40mph in second gear. My RPMs are at about 6k.
2. As I reach 40 mph I TRY to bounce down on the front while whacking full throttle.
3. If/when the front end comes up I'm pulling back a little bit on the bars.

The whole time I've got my rear brake covered incase of a "Whoa nelly!".

So... any suggestions for a 600 rider? Thanx

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
if you want to do it the pussy way do what your doing in 1st and 2nd gear except close the throttle when you bounce and open it up right after your forks compress. also bounce on your pegs. now third and up is where you have to bounce+clutch to get er up.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
the great ESKIMO said:
if you want to do it the pussy way do what your doing in 1st and 2nd gear except close the throttle when you bounce and open it up right after your forks compress. also bounce on your pegs. now third and up is where you have to bounce+clutch to get er up.
wtf are you talking about?

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
do what you are doing in fist and it will come straight up. Also you can use the clutch to get it up but that takes some more skill to do so learn the way you are now and you will get it. If you use the clutch get going to the desired speed and pull the clutch in and bring the RPM's to about 6,000-7,000 and let the clutch out fast while holding the throtle open and up it will come but it comes up much faster than the way you are doing it. Hope this helps you out and I'm not responsable for you if you get jacked up doing this.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hold nobody's suggestions/opinions accountable for me jacking my sh!t up. I just merely wanted to get people's takes on it. It is up to me to decifer which option to take. Thanks for the help everybody!

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
snigg said:
wtf are you talking about?
yeah what the hell you talkin about man, there aint no need to bounce up an 04 gsxr 600 in first gear, just whack the throttle and there you go. i never bounced in first. i clutched, but thats a different story :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
about covering the rear brake..who actually thinks it would work or has it worked for you saving it from looping?from my experience i think if i ever did tap the rear it would either be too late or too abrupt on the landing and give you a slapper..just looking for others oppinions not trying to start an argument i just dont see it working for me i rely 99% on my throttle control to not loop not brake.

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
in first and second i don't think that the brake is necessary, but it is still a good habit to get into. and if you get high enough to loop it, i think that slamming it down gives you better odds of saving it than going backwards.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
patfitz9 said:
in first and second i don't think that the brake is necessary, but it is still a good habit to get into. and if you get high enough to loop it, i think that slamming it down gives you better odds of saving it than going backwards.

the brake is necesarry for all wheelies. learn brake control...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Dunno what that other guy is talking about. But as far as the rear brake. It is your friend. I've used it before to control wheelies that were starting to get a little to high. If your Conscious of the rear brake and are covering it you can bring the bike back down before it gets out of hand.

When your bounceing your 2nd gears try it at 50mph untill you get used to it. I can get them up at 40 but it takes a little more effort on my part. 60+ is usually to fast and I end up just chaseing the damn thing and go way to fast.

Also. I've heard people say to cut the throttle while bounceing but that just throws my big ass over the front of the bike. (I'm 6'1" 190lbs) Here's what I do.

I get going about 50ish. Hold the throttle steady and then bounce hard on the pegs with the archs of my feet. (if you use the balls of your feet your just asking to slip and plant that foot into the road) Right when the suspention bottoms out I get on the gas and up she comes. If I waited for it to start to rebound I was to late. No need to pull on the bars. When I first started doing these I eventually found out that I wasn't bounceing down hard enough. You can't really bounce to hard unless your a really big fella so just slam the bitch with your legs. (notice I said legs, your arms are just there to apply the throttle.)

Now if you can get this down to one smooth motion it comes right up everytime. It just takes a bit to get the timeing.

I'm by no means an expert but this is just what works for me on my '03 R6.

Wes

·
Registered
103 Posts
WesR6 said:
Dunno what that other guy is talking about. But as far as the rear brake. It is your friend. I've used it before to control wheelies that were starting to get a little to high. If your Conscious of the rear brake and are covering it you can bring the bike back down before it gets out of hand.

When your bounceing your 2nd gears try it at 50mph untill you get used to it. I can get them up at 40 but it takes a little more effort on my part. 60+ is usually to fast and I end up just chaseing the damn thing and go way to fast.

Also. I've heard people say to cut the throttle while bounceing but that just throws my big ass over the front of the bike. (I'm 6'1" 190lbs) Here's what I do.

I get going about 50ish. Hold the throttle steady and then bounce hard on the pegs with the archs of my feet. (if you use the balls of your feet your just asking to slip and plant that foot into the road) Right when the suspention bottoms out I get on the gas and up she comes. If I waited for it to start to rebound I was to late. No need to pull on the bars. When I first started doing these I eventually found out that I wasn't bounceing down hard enough. You can't really bounce to hard unless your a really big fella so just slam the bitch with your legs. (notice I said legs, your arms are just there to apply the throttle.)

Now if you can get this down to one smooth motion it comes right up everytime. It just takes a bit to get the timeing.

I'm by no means an expert but this is just what works for me on my '03 R6.

Wes
:werd: like a mofo, good advice Wes, that's how I do it too

Nekkid Bobby here's a video a friend and I made a while back as we were learning wheelies, watch it and maybe you can pick up some tips on doing yours.

http://host41.hrwebservices.net/~wacostr/temp/drew/sunday.wmv

lata,
Drew

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wes, great advice. I've been told too to use your legs. I think thats one of my problems is that I'm trying to push down with my arms AND twist the throttle as well. Also, I've been told that 6,000 rpms is too low. I should be doing it at more like 9,000.

Stretch, I've seen that video before. It's good stuff. I noticed at the beginning he's in first on the sit down. What gear is he in when he's doing the stand ups?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Nekkid Bobby said:
Stretch, I've seen that video before. It's good stuff. I noticed at the beginning he's in first on the sit down. What gear is he in when he's doing the stand ups?
thanks :) all the sit-down wheelies in the vid are 1st gears, all the stand-ups are 2nd gears

·
Registered
30 Posts
i have been practicing my sit downs forever now trying to get the balls up to try a stand-up.... I have a question about the stand-ups in the video... are those guys clutching to get them up or are they simply bouncing and then going hard on the throttle?

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
ok ok guys heres how it goes, in 1st on a 600 i could get my big ass (6'5" 285lbs) up in the air runnin on 3 cyl ill show you the pix in this post.....now that was sitting for slow shit.....standing you wont have to whack it as hard as your weight on the back makes the front come up a lil easier....once it comes up let it level off and control the throttle.....cover the brake...VERY fucking important....saying it is not important in 2nd gear is like saying a gun aint dangerous if your shot in the head with it at 75' vs 10' its just as big of a risk...i dunno about you but my bike is commin out of 2nd at like 95mph, now how many of you guys hit the rev limiter in a speedwheelie standup attempt?? exactly...you are gonna pay if you hit the ground at 55mph much less 95mph....does it help to cover the brake...well yes it does is the anwser....you will learn to NOT panic and SLAM the rear brake but to ever so gently touch the rear brake and itll level out again.....now if you do slam the rear brake count on replacing your SHORTS and more than likely your fork seals.....that is if you dont go over the front end and get run the fuck over by your bike ..lol sorry thats just damn funny to think about.....my BEST advice is this, learn SLOW take your TIME and DONT push your luck.....if you have a bad day STOP!! dont push it or you will pay......take it from a guy with more roadrash than i want to remember...ive been down that road...litterally....it hurts and it never heals right.....my motto was "id rather learn slow than DIE fast" live by that and youll be ok.

Peace

heres the bike that was runnin on 3 cyl i learned 12's on :lol

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
ECUr6 said:
i have been practicing my sit downs forever now trying to get the balls up to try a stand-up.... I have a question about the stand-ups in the video... are those guys clutching to get them up or are they simply bouncing and then going hard on the throttle?
you talking about my video? They are all bounce wheelies, I don't know how to clutch it up... yet... :)

·
RLPoloArgyleSweaters,Son!
1,272 Posts
My friend (04 GSXR600) seems to think you need to redline 2nd and let out on the clutch; It doesn't take that much I showed him! Slip the clutch from 3500-6000/5000-7500 or so it'll come up...I like his GSXR they can stunt, best advice take it slow! Keep us posted on your progress and good luck man! Keep it off the public street!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts