Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Already got one on my bike ..... put it on in the begining of the year some time. Been thru about 4-5 oil changes with it so far and everything seems to be working fine.
Biggest issue I had was the earth magnet came out of the filter. I had to sand it and epoxy it back into place, it never got sanded at the factory so that's why it came off.
Also, the filter comes with the cup style filter wrench now, but they still give you the wrench with the filter.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
My only concern is cleaning it. If the filter's holes are THAT small, it seems they could clog up, and you'd never know it. Otherwise a cool idea.

Let's see... at what one of these cost, you'd have to do around 34 oil changes before you broke even (at $3.50 per filter). For those of us that do oil changes at 2,000 miles that would happen around 70,000 miles if you started at your first oil change. Anyone planning on keeping the bike that long? :eek:nfloor I don't think $$$$$ savings is a legitimate reason to buy this thing.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
crx81 said:
My only concern is cleaning it. If the filter's holes are THAT small, it seems they could clog up, and you'd never know it. Otherwise a cool idea.

Let's see... at what one of these cost, you'd have to do around 34 oil changes before you broke even (at $3.50 per filter). For those of us that do oil changes at 2,000 miles that would happen around 70,000 miles if you started at your first oil change. Anyone planning on keeping the bike that long? :eek:nfloor I don't think $$$$$ savings is a legitimate reason to buy this thing.
I've haven't seen any of the filter holes get cloged yet & I check every time I clean. Plus that's the point of the earth magnet. It collects any metal bits or dirt from the oil before the oil goes thru the filter and back into the engine.
For a little magnet that it is it's got one hell of a pull to it, there's usually more dirt on the magnet then in the filter holes.
And where the hell to you get filters at $3.50!?!? I've always had to pay around $14 for a filter. For me the price of the Scotts one comes out to about 8 paper filters, and at the rate I ride I do about 10 oil changes a year at 2500 miles a change.
My bikes only 16 months old ... give it about another month and I'll have 30K miles on it already. So going with the Scotts filter is going to save me $$$ in the long run since I promised myself when I got the FZ6 it's 5 years till I start looking for a new bike. But that time I'm guessing I'll have very close to (if not over) 70K on the odometer.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
greatzippy said:
And where the hell to you get filters at $3.50!?!? I've always had to pay around $14 for a filter.
Wow. I could ask the same question... Where the hell do you get filters at $14?!? More importantly... WHY???
Yes, at THAT price, savings will come much quicker. What kind of filters were you using?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Mainly Yamaha OEM filters, but the Fram ones were about the same price.
That's the same price at the local shop and the stealerships.

·
me a "racer",i think not!
289 Posts
for 4 bucks from oreileys you can get a STP filter i think SMO-17 is the part number. thats what my beast gets.

·
me a "racer",i think not!
289 Posts
oh yea and with that 4 dollar filter. i was cleaning some crud of my engine with carburator cleaner and hit the filter, the black paint fell off, leaving it nice and shiny steel looking. but after my trip in the rain couple days back it has a small rust spot. cant win them all!

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
There has been a big discussion on one of the 12R boards about the Scotts filter. Basically a most all stock filters screen down to 10 micron size while the Scotts only filters down to 35 micron size. I dont think its really that good of a deal. I'll keep the stock oem filter.

·
Registered
222 Posts
ZXLNT said:
Basically a most all stock filters screen down to 10 micron size while the Scotts only filters down to 35 micron size.
Yes, but they also allow as large as 95 micron past. The thing about the scotts is 35 is the absolute smallest particle that will get through. Where the OEM fillter has holes that are from 10 - 95 microns big. So yeah, the OEM filter will catch some 10 micron dirt, but at the same time will allow stuff as large as 95 micron past.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
That's a valid point. OEM and paper filter makers state that thier filters are capable of screening down to a particular micron. While this is a true statement it is not to say that larger items can still get thru. It's basically a numbers game, kinda like GPS units that say "capable of syncing up to 1' accuracy". Just because somethings "capable" of it doesn't mean it's going to happen.
The Scotts filter is 35 micron absolute ..... meaning 100% of the time all the time. And anything smaller then 35 microns gets picked up & held by the earth magnet.

·
Super Nibber
501 Posts
If your changing your oil at 2500 what's it really matter how well the filter filters, the oil isnt really getting dirty at that interval anyway -- unless your offroading a street bike.

·
Registered
127 Posts
FZ6 said:
If your changing your oil at 2500 what's it really matter how well the filter filters, the oil isnt really getting dirty at that interval anyway -- unless your offroading a street bike.
I disagree.. I just changed the oil after roughly a 2800-mile interval and it was pretty beat. I'd guess if you rev your 600 hard the oil will break down pretty fast.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Or if you get stuck in traffic :rolleyes That's the worst. Took a trip out to PA with some people, one of the guys had a route planned for where we were headed to. I figured it's PA, it'll be some nice back roads, steady pace, nice easy ride. Uhm no ..... he took us thru local roads, traffic lights, the state capitol. So you can imagine the amount of time spent idling or riding at really low speeds. Took us 7 hours to get 150 miles .... not exactally sure how or why but have a decent clue.
Know I wasn't near 2500 miles on that batch of oil but changed it anyway when I got back home from that trip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts