Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been on the boards long and have been reading on here to get a good idea about what to expect and what to get when I get my first bike (btw I have decided to with a ex500 or gs500)

Reading through the threads I often read the term squid from what I have deducted it means somewhat noob riders with a big ego and no skill to back it up

Basically I wanted to know what exactly is a squid?? I know this may seem like a stupid question but im just wondering exactly what its supposed to mean and where the term came from

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hah, this should be in the FAQ. 'Squid' has quite a few meanings, really - but mostly
a) Someone who rides without any gear (excludnig oakleys, flip flops and shorts)
b) Someone who rides recklessly/endangers others (usually while not wearing gear)

Either way, it's something you want to avoid. There are new riders who are definitely NOT squids, getting an EX-500 would set you on the right track for sure, I love mine. Get some gear and take the MSF and you'll never have to worry about being called a squid :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
heh thanks for the info after seeing my bro start on a ZX-6R and reading on the forum I decided an ss would definatly be a bad choice for me so Im just gonna start small and work my way up like everyone suggests better to be safe then to be sorry or dead

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
The original meaning (from what my dad tells me) is what the Harley riders of the old days called the new generation of people riding non-cruiser type bikes. SQUID = SQUirley kID

·
Registered
260 Posts
Squid

A young motorcyclist who overestimates his abilities, boasts of his riding skills when in reality he has none. Squid bikes are usually decorated with chrome and various anodized bits. Rear tyres are too wide for their own good, swingarm extended. Really slow in the corners, and sudden bursts of acceleration when a straight appears. Squids wear no protection, deeming themselves invincible. This fact compounds intself with the fact that they engage in 'extreem riding'--performing wheelies and stoppies in public areas. Squids wreck alot. Derived from 'squirly kid'

also see stunta

Urbandictionary.com

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
the great ESKIMO said:
i like chrome! that makes me a squid!
No, it makes you slow. Anyone who wants to put chrome on a sportbike shouldn't be riding a sportbike, get a Harley. Sportbikes are made for performance, adding weight is the LAST thing you should want to do.

·
Registered
308 Posts
firefighter81 said:
No, it makes you slow. Anyone who wants to put chrome on a sportbike shouldn't be riding a sportbike, get a Harley. Sportbikes are made for performance, adding weight is the LAST thing you should want to do.
that's pretty narrow minded dude.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Then I must be an squid among squids!!!

I bet you that the 4 "gorditas" I ate yesterday will add more weight on me than if I had chromed the entire bike! :twofinger

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Hahahaha, you're not a squid, you are a fatass. Lay off the Gorditas! :lol

·
Registered
731 Posts
Squids.... SQUIDS, EVERYWHERE !!!
My area is full of 'em :( Everywhere Posers, Squids & Know-it-better

·
Registered
706 Posts
firefighter81 said:
That is not true!!! It just means you need a b***** shot of nitrous. :twofinger

·
rectal rooter
482 Posts
i asked this question the first time i got a sportbike and frequented svrider.com. They gave me two very good definitions.

1) S)tupidly Q)uick U)nderdressed I)minently D)ead
2) also, most squids ride like the sea creature in question, haul ass to a turn, slow down to make said turn, then shoot off quickly in another direction, like a squid swims.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts