Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I didn't even know this was legal. It's stunning honestly. I really hope he made it home okay and in one piece...

Sent from your wife's bed using my Motorcycle.com Free App.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Helmet laws vary from state to state. If you took that picture in CA, it is not legal. It is legal to ride without a helmet in many states.

It should be legal to ride without a helmet in all 50 states. IMO, it's stupid as hell to ride without a helmet, but it's up to the individual to make that dumbass choice.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I consider anyone not wearing a helmet a squid, but to each their own. I just hope he has a good heath insurance plan and life insurance.

It should be legal to ride without a helmet in all 50 states. IMO, it's stupid as hell to ride without a helmet, but it's up to the individual to make that dumbass choice.
I agree with this statement, it should be your choice to wear a helmet or not, but I think there should be some kind of check on it like required health insurance, life insurance, higher car insurance limits or something. I don't think people should leave behind a pile of debt because of a very irresponsible decision. But then it just becomes a big issue on allowing one choice and forcing other things from people with no good solution.

·
Registered
848 Posts
depends on what level a rider is considered a squid... only missing a helmet? then yes. personally, he's missing a lot of stuff... a jacket, boots, gloves, riding pants, helmet.... but recall, this is just my thoughts. I'd never try to enforce people to wear everything, and likewise, i'm not gonna shed a tear when he has to have spendy skin grafts or worse... a pine box for a new bed. it's their choice. as long as they don't try to push their crap on me.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I consider anyone not wearing a helmet a squid, but to each their own. I just hope he has a good heath insurance plan and life insurance.

I agree with this statement, it should be your choice to wear a helmet or not, but I think there should be some kind of check on it like required health insurance, life insurance, higher car insurance limits or something. I don't think people should leave behind a pile of debt because of a very irresponsible decision. But then it just becomes a big issue on allowing one choice and forcing other things from people with no good solution.
This is a slippery slope though. Just riding a motorcycle is much more dangerous than driving a car, regardless of the gear you wear. Would you submit to the government telling you to buy health insurance, have life insurance, and raise your limits just because you're on two wheels? I sure as hell wouldn't want the government doing that. I do in fact choose to have health insurance, life insurance, and high limits on my auto insurance on my own because I like to think I'm a responsible adult, but I don't want govco telling me I have to do those things.

Nah, I'm in Philadelphia. & I honestly did not know. I thought everyone was required to wear one.

Sent from your wife's bed using Motorcycle.com Free App
Oh. Your profile says you're in LA. In PA, you don't have to wear a helmet... But there are several stipulations to this. I'm not 100% sure on what they are because it doesn't matter to me; I wear gear regardless of the laws. In my neck of PA, those without helmets definitely outnumber those of us who do wear them. It's an absolute rarity to see another rider fully geared up.

In fact, a local group of riders I ride with thought I was a 'street racer' when I first met them. They thought this because I always showed up in full leathers. Boy were they disappointed when they found out I ride slower than pretty much all of them!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Oh. Your profile says you're in LA. In PA, you don't have to wear a helmet... But there are several stipulations to this. I'm not 100% sure on what they are because it doesn't matter to me; I wear gear regardless of the laws. In my neck of PA, those without helmets definitely outnumber those of us who do wear them. It's an absolute rarity to see another rider fully geared up.

In fact, a local group of riders I ride with thought I was a 'street racer' when I first met them. They thought this because I always showed up in full leathers. Boy were they disappointed when they found out I ride slower than pretty much all of them!
I live in California, just in Philadelphia at the moment to see my sister. She said she's surprised when she sees a rider wearing a helmet (most of PA maybe?), which is a disgrace. They got so much shit going on in north Philly though, that I figured the jakes just looked the over way lol.

Sent from your wife's bed using my Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
13 Posts
In Pa you have to wear your helmet until you're twenty-one, and then you can legally be a squid.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I hate that my motorcycle insurance has gone up over 500% since PA repealed the helmet law. Some of that is natural inflation, but the majority of it is spreading the cost across all motorcyclists in the state...

·
Registered
151 Posts
In maine you have to wear one till you're 18.

A girl once said to me "ugh I'm so happy I turned 18 because I don't have to wear a helmet anymore!! : ) "

I just smiled and nodded my head.... *facepalm*

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
If you u really want to feel out of place go to a bike rally (Sturgis, myrtle Beach, Daytona....) and wear full gear. Everything from head to toe. You'll get your fair share of "rude" comments.

The only reason why I agree with mandatory helmet law is because of bugs... And other flying debris. If you get smacked in the eye with a June bug or a bee your reaction is to close both your eyes and grab the one that got hit. Now the bike is traveling where ever it wants to and your along for the ride. Most of the time you'll be able to recover b4 something happens. But that one time a kid is crossing the street and you don't recover you might kill some1. Just my 2 cents.

Don't fall victim to the majority of riders and the peer pressure they'll give you. Ride smart and ride safe. Remember it only takes a 1/4 of a throttle to launch you into a tree or a wall.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
170 Posts
I concur.

Mandatory law for eye protection because if your eyes get taken out by bugs/rocks/etc. you become a danger to others.

Helmet? Your choice.

Will many people think you're an idiot if you don't wear a helmet? Darn straight.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
I say Squid. His body position and outfit is the key give away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Texas does not require helmets. The only requirements one needs is a safety course and 10,000+ in coverage for personal injuries. If you think that picture is a big deal. You should see the stunters down here. Doing wheelies and stoppies with no equipment what so ever. But you can't blame them. These mofos have some bad ass skills.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Slamming the throttle and the brake doesn't take skill. That's called blind idiocy.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Lots of people say that using safety equipment in/on vehicles should be one's own 'dumbass' decision. Problem is that a physically/mentally disabled person can become a burden on their family (do they deserve this?) and health care system, and lost productivity for that person's life. I'd like to see Mr no-helmet in a t-shirt kiss the pavement just once to see if he will change his mind.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts