Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I saw the first other FZ6 (blue) in the Bay Area (San Rafael).
Unfortunately sitting on top was a squid in shorts, tshirt and no helmet.
Who are you, you fool?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
wasn't me, I've seen a lot of the shorts and tshirt around the bay area but never seen the no helmet thing before. No helmet in the bay area is not a good idea.

·
Registered
850 Posts
everyone in south bay wears tshirt and shorts for commuting and heading to the beach, but when I am out "for a ride" eveyone's got gear on. I hate to say it, but I have never been one to not wear gear, even if I am going a mile up the street, but recently - with the weather so nice here and the everyone else is doing it... I have to say that I have had a few days this past week with shorts and a T and all under 30 mph areas.... I know I know... but it soooo tempting and feels soooo good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, in my opinion, all the fancy riding gear is just great, especially if you have a low speed spill.

However, any accident at high speeds, your injury seriousness / survival is pure luck, random chance. If you are really worried about your safety, the first mistake you just made is to getting on a motorcylce.

Ride safe, always keep learining, that will improve your odds tremendously. The gear is OK, and it will certainly help make you feeeeel better about this terribly risky business of riding a motorcycle, but it shouldn't be your primary safety plan.

·
jess wanna ryd
315 Posts
:fiddy my blue one is in san jose... :lao

ceek

·
Street Warrior
143 Posts
I saw my first blue FZ6 in town a few days ago.. We both looked at each other like it was a mirror.
Same color helmet and coat.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Bob McCluskey said:
However, any accident at high speeds, your injury seriousness / survival is pure luck, random chance. If you are really worried about your safety, the first mistake you just made is to getting on a motorcylce.
I disagree. What about the racers that go down at 100+, and then pick their own bike back, and walk away without even limping?

Ok...so that's on a racetrack you say. Nothing HARD to hit.

3 wrecks I know of....1 hit a guard rail at ~60 mph (without any gear other than a helmet). Picked his bike up, after dragging it from under a guard rail, rode it home, and went to the hospital shorty after (Semi-major road rash, wrist broken in 6 places, helmet saved his life).

The other guy - Went down at ~90 mph (full gear), through a ditch, walked away. Next day he was sore, but no injuries what so ever.

3rd person...a chic - Lowside at around 40 mph (in full gear). Landed on her shoulder, broke her shoulder blade. NO other injuries.

Surviving a high speed crash is a little more than luck. Gear does work, and can save you SOME broken bones, and lots of road rash.

The only thing that is pretty much a guarenteed death is either a: Hitting something hard (wall, tree, etc), or B: getting run over by a car.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Here's the most important tidbit of safety info. I've gotten so far: Remember that on the roadway, you are Invisible to most automobile drivers. Never AssUme that the vehicle next to you, infront of you, behind you, or at the upcoming intersection - has seen you. Expect them to do something stupid. :beer

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FZ6nIT said:
Here's the most important tidbit of safety info. I've gotten so far: Remember that on the roadway, you are Invisible to most automobile drivers. Never AssUme that the vehicle next to you, infront of you, behind you, or at the upcoming intersection - has seen you. Expect them to do something stupid. :beer
I agree, every time I am passing a car, not just on the roadway, I am
fearing that he will move into my lane just as I am next to him.
Even more when the driver is some idiot on the cell phone or doing
make-up.

However proper gear will prevent roadrash and other injuries. Some of the
roadrash injuries I have seen, such as scalped skin and "degloved" limbs
are enough to make me wear gear every time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
TRaGiK said:
The only thing that is pretty much a guarenteed death is either a: Hitting something hard (wall, tree, etc), or B: getting run over by a car.
In my humble opinion, concerning high speed motorcycle crashes, this is more often the case.

Oh well, at any rate, we each need to weigh the risks and decide for ourselves.

Safe riding.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
"First, about half of all serious motorcycle accidents happen when a car pulls in front of a bike in traffic. These accidents typically happen at very low speeds, with a typical impact velocity, after all the braking and skidding, below 25 mph. This was first revealed in the Hurt Report but has been recently backed up by two other studies, a similar one in Thailand and especially the COST 327 study done in the European Union, where people have fast bikes and like to ride very quickly on some roads with no speed limits at all.

Actual crash speeds are slow, but the damage isn't. These are serious, often fatal crashes. Most of these crashes happen very close to home. Because no matter where you go, you always leave your own neighborhood and come back to it. And making it through traffic-filled intersections—the ones near your home—is the most dangerous thing you do on a street motorcycle.

The next-biggest group of typical accidents happens at night, often on a weekend, at higher speeds. They are much more likely to involve alcohol, and often take place when a rider goes off the road alone. These two groups of accidents account for almost 75 percent of all serious crashes. So the accident we are most afraid of, and the one we tend to buy our helmets for—crashing at high speeds, out sport riding—is relatively rare."

http://motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/hatz/ This article is apparently pretty controversial, and lost them some advertisers. Snell posted a rebutal: http://www.smf.org/response.html

I don't understand the ins and outs of impact testing helmets, but I don't argue with the stats on crashes. I don't go to the store in a t-shirt and shorts, and I am very cautious riding at night.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Safety first and speed second.
Not speed first and safety second.
Its all in your priorities.
Mindset is key...

I never ride alongside or in rear quarters of cars. Pass'em and ride ahead in their full view. There are many ways not to make yourself a target.
We all have been(or are) new riders... Getting through that is the most crucial part to a lifetime of enjoying motorcycles.
Wear your gear, be safe and have some fun!

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
We all must ride "defensively" to survive in public roadways. One thing to bear in mind is that no matter whose fault it is, when it comes to an accident, the motorcyclist gets hurt."

·
Registered
9 Posts
ok so I am one of the guys that bought the fz6 and now regrets it. I wish I had a cbr600rr so my opinion my be bias. i think everyone here is acting like little babies. " I went in shorts in a tshirt, but only at speeds of under 30mph" " I would never ride without wearing all my gear", blah blah blah, pussies. I am alway riding in tshirt and shorts, it feels great. I don't go do high speed twisties like that, but if I am going to work or around town (and I will hit over 80 in these situations) I prefer to be "dressed down". I never ride without a helmet, but will always enjoy the feeling of the wind rushing onto me while cruising in shorts and tshirt. If you guys would loosen up about riding, take some of the gear off sometimes (never the helmet) and quit spending every second worrying about crashing, you might have some fun. Or maybe I just shouldn't have an fz6 and be lumped in with such goldwingish type riders. If there are any cool riders out there on FZ6's, stunting, knee dragging etc. drop me a line

·
Registered
132 Posts
Daeron said:
pussies. I am alway riding in tshirt and shorts, it feels great. I don't go do high speed twisties like that, but if I am going to work or around town (and I will hit over 80 in these situations) I prefer to be "dressed down".
What you NEED little boy is to get "smacked down" :bitchslap

Wanna guess which age group has the highest motorcycle fatalities??? Sorry, the "cool" guys you are looking for are not here. You will find them in my Emergency Room awaitting skin grafts. The ones that lived, anyway.

Keep wearing t-shirts and shorts. You will be easily identified by skilled riders as being inexperienced and stupid. It's like a big flashing sign that alerts the rest of us: Danger. Creature from lower end of gene pool approaching. Avoid at all costs. Be on lookout for big splat in road.

Do us all a favor and buy that cbr 600rr BEFORE you start breeding. :rolleyes

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have to agree with Blu Devil. I myself am guilty of wearing shorts and a t-shirt, but it is very rare that I do that. You definitely should wear your gear because even though "it feels good" while your up on your bike, if you fall if it isn't going to "feel good" then. If it's too hot for you to wear your gear leave your bike parked. I haven't been down yet, and it's been 6 yrs. but I have been down racing motocross and gear definitely helped. I can only imagine how bad it would be on asphalt as opposed to dirt. SO it's not about being a pussy it's about being alive and having your body functioning.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Daeron said:
ok so I am one of the guys that bought the fz6 and now regrets it. I wish I had a cbr600rr so my opinion my be bias. i think everyone here is acting like little babies. " I went in shorts in a tshirt, but only at speeds of under 30mph" " I would never ride without wearing all my gear", blah blah blah, pussies. I am alway riding in tshirt and shorts, it feels great. I don't go do high speed twisties like that, but if I am going to work or around town (and I will hit over 80 in these situations) I prefer to be "dressed down". I never ride without a helmet, but will always enjoy the feeling of the wind rushing onto me while cruising in shorts and tshirt. If you guys would loosen up about riding, take some of the gear off sometimes (never the helmet) and quit spending every second worrying about crashing, you might have some fun. Or maybe I just shouldn't have an fz6 and be lumped in with such goldwingish type riders. If there are any cool riders out there on FZ6's, stunting, knee dragging etc. drop me a line
Mate!!! Grow up! you acting like a little kid! Everybody has there opinions on ridding and gear, but just because some people have more respect for there loved ones than you do and don't want them to have to a) attend a funeral b) wipe your ass for the rest of your life c) pay for your ignorance, doesn't mean we are having any less fun or take any less enjoyment out of ridding. Each to your own, but you seriously sound like a waist of space!

just my .02

·
Registered
291 Posts
BluDevil said:
Keep wearing t-shirts and shorts. You will be easily identified by skilled riders as being inexperienced and stupid.
OK, we're back to generalizations. I have 20+ years riding street bikes and I find myself wearing a t-shirt and shorts occasionally. Someone else looking at me and thinking "f---ing newbie" is about as far off base as can be. It would be like saying everyone who rides a cruiser is an a--hole. Do I really care what other people think...no, but I do believe we should NOT spread generalizations as a way of thinking.

I enjoy the open airedness of it. As I said in a previous thread discussing much the same, it's all about mitigating risk. Every time you climb into a vehicle (car or cycle) you assume some level of risk. Hell, nowadays breathing is a risk :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts