Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so here in idaho there is no helmet law and i dont know about you guys but it makes me so irritated to see a TON im talking 3-4 Tons of squid with no gear at all. they all ride around with t-shirts and shorts flip flops you name it ive seen it. i just usually shake my head and think whell atleast im not stupid.

then these guys try and ride with me and i dont want to be seen with people like that especially ones that mess around and do stupid crap.
i know its hot and there probably to poor to buy gear now that they paid for all that bling around there neck for all the girls to see on there bike but what gives really?
One guy last week came up and told me real men dont wear helmets i turned the bike off and fell over laughing.
I would much rather sweat and get heat stroke than ride with no gear what about you guys.
i have a joe rocket textile/ olympia carbon fibre gloves/ hjc cl12 helmet/ steel toed riding boots that are tripple stitched/ carhart doubble duty jeans for around the city and leather w/pucks for serious riding i need to get a leather jaket soon and a back protector too but im good for right now.

·
Registered
813 Posts
It doesn't bother me.. I'll ride with anyone (except the ones that might endager me..)

to each his own.. it's their life - their decision

·
Registered
623 Posts
JedoubbleSe said:
so here in idaho there is no helmet law and i dont know about you guys but it makes me so irritated to see a TON im talking 3-4 Tons of squid with no gear at all. they all ride around with t-shirts and shorts flip flops you name it ive seen it. i just usually shake my head and think whell atleast im not stupid.

then these guys try and ride with me and i dont want to be seen with people like that especially ones that mess around and do stupid crap.
i know its hot and there probably to poor to buy gear now that they paid for all that bling around there neck for all the girls to see on there bike but what gives really?
One guy last week came up and told me real men dont wear helmets i turned the bike off and fell over laughing.
I would much rather sweat and get heat stroke than ride with no gear what about you guys.
i have a joe rocket textile/ olympia carbon fibre gloves/ hjc cl12 helmet/ steel toed riding boots that are tripple stitched/ carhart doubble duty jeans for around the city and leather w/pucks for serious riding i need to get a leather jaket soon and a back protector too but im good for right now.
He has a point, real men don’t wear gear. We have helmet laws here in NYC but I refuse to abide by such laws, I wear a beanie hat and cops don’t even care.

·
Registered
426 Posts
real men are tough enough to handle roadrash. ok j/k

I don't really care. If I get on the freeway I wear gear, but if I'm going to the gym or to the local store to pick up a movie or something I wear just a helmet. Call me a squid whatever:p

·
Registered
501 Posts
I don't care if others wear gear or not, it doesn't affect my ride. the real men comment was used to try to belittle you, but it doesn't take too long to go from a helmetless squid to a drooling idiot with no memories and needing someone else to wipe your ass. Real men actually put up with the inconvenience of wearing gear because they realize their own mortality.

anyway, I see this as turning into a "real men" thread, I'm out.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah im just a gear nut i guess i always wear my gear doesnt matter how far im going its as much of my routine as putting the kickstand up before i hit 1st gear.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
irratated, not really. just think their fools.

no, i won't ride w/ peeps who don't at least wear a lid. they get hit in the head by something and the veer into my path

no jacket/gloves i try not to ride w/ either. wearing it show's some semblance of responsibility.

·
Registered
488 Posts
JedoubbleSe said:

Nah doesnt bother me at all.. I 99% go with gear, sometimes I dont.. I always wear a helmet, never wear shorts or anything other than hightops or work boots with jeans. Everyone that rides a motorcycle is doing something stupid, so judge not lest the be judged yourself :neener ..I will ride with anyone unless they pose a clear and present danger to myself or others.. But I do pull the occasional wheelie, and I most certainly take turns too fast in the eyes of the law..So if that makes me a "S word" then so be it..

As for not being a real man with a helmet.. Lets see him talk all that shit with his jaw bone flappin around off his face..It's gonna be mighty hard..And its somethin I would pay to see.. :popcorn :phatyo

·
Registered
498 Posts
I think riders in gear look cooler than those without. As RacerX says, gear or the lack thereof says something about a rider's inherent sense of responsibility. If they don't even want to be reasonable for the safety of their own skin, what does say about their approach to riding in general? Not to say that geared-up riders don't suffer from moment of squidliness but the ungeared calamari way outnumber the armored kind in most of the dumb shit I see.

At worst, I shake my head. It only becomes a problem if they get in my face about it. That's a strange characteristic of the young squid, this penchant for getting in other rider's faces and giving THEM crap about wearing gear. Talk about bizarre behavior. I've had it happen. It boils down to "You ride your ride, I'll ride mine. What I choose to wear when riding is none of your f-cking business.".

I personally feel that an ungeared or minimally geared rider is a fool. The level of foolishness decreasing as the gear increases. I have no problems with someone in a helmet, riding jacket, gloves, boots and jeans. The jeans may be Draggin' Jeans for all I know. Even if they aren't, the lack of good pants is often a function of choice or ignorance. As long as the rider acknowledges their choice is dangerous and can get them hurt, wear what makes you happy.

Of course, the flip-flop crowd carries the belief that "I'm not wearing gear because I don't plan to fall today.".

"Hey asshole, they call them 'accidents' for a reason! You don't plan for them!".

They shrug. So be it. If the fall arrives and it does happen to them, assuming they survive, I've met very, very few squid afterward who continued to ride and not wear gear from that point forward. The few that continue in their old ways either have magical skin regeneration formula hidden away, enjoy pain or have a serious death wish. Those are the ones to avoid.

I focus on myself and get to choose who I ride with. If you ride like an idiot, gear or no gear, and I simply don't ride with you. But tend to choose to ride with those of likemind and thus don't find myself in the presence of many ungeared riders. I guess the young are more resilent. With age comes the recognition that pain and scars suck and I prefer to do anything to avoid them.

·
Registered
243 Posts
linuxbikr said:
At worst, I shake my head. It only becomes a problem if they get in my face about it.
ha ha ha. . . Just Hit them. . :eek:nfloor .your fist with carbon fiber knuckles is gonna do more to their corona Tank top and Nikes than their bare hand is gonna do to your armored jacket, helmet. . . . . and when your done, just go ahead and plant your joe rocket boot in their backside, and tell them to suit up next time

·
Registered
498 Posts
H2Omax1 said:
ha ha ha. . . Just Hit them. . :eek:nfloor .your fist with carbon fiber knuckles is gonna do more to their corona Tank top and Nikes than their bare hand is gonna do to your armored jacket, helmet. . . . . and when your done, just go ahead and plant your joe rocket boot in their backside, and tell them to suit up next time
LOL, true. But I'd rather not crack a good pair of gloves and I really don't feel like extracting my Sidi's after they've been inserted sideways up some squid's anus. The boots are never the same after that.

·
Banned
2,680 Posts
I think the ones without helmets are crazy, but Its their head not mine. It does kinda piss me off when I see guys riding around with their girls on back with no helmets, especially if the guy they're with is wearing one, though. I don't know, this thread reminds me of the guy that comes outta no where and starts riding next to me yesterday, he didn't acknowledge me at all, just sped up from behind and starts cruising with me, 2 feet to the side. All the so called "squid" attire: shorts, beater, no helmet, no nothing, didn't see his feet though, i mean really, how often do you look at anothers guy's feet. His girl on the back was the same, tank top, skirt, no helmet, no nothing. I just let off and let him get out in front of me...I should thank him or his girl, for the nice view on the way home, though :)

·
Banned
2,680 Posts
njssli22 said:
Nah doesnt bother me at all
Thats gotta be the best avitar on the entire site, Thats friggin awesome right there :lao :eek:nfloor :)

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
I could care less if they wear gear or not. If asked if my jacket is hot or something, I'll tell them my thoughts, but I don't preach. If they don't want to wear gear, so be it....their skin, not mine...

·
Registered
163 Posts
I used to get all worked up over people wearing gear but finally I realized it was their choice. I don't think it is a particularly good one to not wear any gear at all but it isn't worth my time and the effort to get all pissed about it.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Ever see a fully geared rider with a squiddly pillion? I saw one just today on the way home from work. I thought it was hillarious! This guy was fully armored, replica leathers with race patches, and the pillion was wearing a white tube top, white shorts and white sandals, all white. I thought it was funny.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
it does not irritate me, just makes me wonder what they are thinking.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts