Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We, I decided to go against the flow. I replaced the front sprocket on my FZ last week. I went up a tooth to a 17T and I love it! It is a gearing increase of only 6.25% but I think it works really well. Reduces the speedo error and makes the the bike feel like it has longer legs. I rode a couple hundred miles this weekend and I'm sold. The sprocket was only 30 odd bucks and the single tooth difference means no change in the chain length, just a simple adjustment. I know everyone is lowering their gearing but I'm looking for something that'll be better for longer distance cruising. I know I'm never going to do a track day so the taller gearing is fine and once the revs are above 5,000 you can't tell the difference in acceleration anyway. My only complaint is that the aftermarket sprocket doesn't have the rubber insulation on it so there is more chain noise. Oh well, small price to pay! :dblthumb

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Shadow_Can said:
We, I decided to go against the flow. I replaced the front sprocket on my FZ last week. I went up a tooth to a 17T and I love it! It is a gearing increase of only 6.25% but I think it works really well. Reduces the speedo error and makes the the bike feel like it has longer legs. I rode a couple hundred miles this weekend and I'm sold. The sprocket was only 30 odd bucks and the single tooth difference means no change in the chain length, just a simple adjustment. I know everyone is lowering their gearing but I'm looking for something that'll be better for longer distance cruising. I know I'm never going to do a track day so the taller gearing is fine and once the revs are above 5,000 you can't tell the difference in acceleration anyway. My only complaint is that the aftermarket sprocket doesn't have the rubber insulation on it so there is more chain noise. Oh well, small price to pay! :dblthumb
Keep us updated on fuel mileage.

·
Registered
419 Posts
You should of try'd going down on the rear sproket 2-3 teeth. That way you keep the front rubber sproket, loose weight on the ass. Yes maybe you'd have to take a link of the chain, but atleast in my case Id rather do this than hear the chain that much!

I also heard that raising teeth in the front sproket (for achieving higher speeds) hurts the motor a lot. Don't know how many teeth you'd have to raise for this or if it even is true, but it kinda makes sence since the engine has to struggle more in the low end to get you going.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
FAZtER said:
I also heard that raising teeth in the front sproket (for achieving higher speeds) hurts the motor a lot. Don't know how many teeth you'd have to raise for this or if it even is true, but it kinda makes sence since the engine has to struggle more in the low end to get you going.
Raising the teeth in the frong is kinda like trying to start out in second gear, but I doubt one tooth would hurt anything. I also would be interested in any differences in gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
04Fizzer said:
Keep us updated on fuel mileage.
I don't know if the difference I find will have much meaning. I know it should be better but the actual miles travelled per gallon will have changed since the new sprocket removes some of the error in the speedo and odometer. I'll keep an eye on it and report back.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FAZtER said:
You should of try'd going down on the rear sproket 2-3 teeth. That way you keep the front rubber sproket, loose weight on the ass. Yes maybe you'd have to take a link of the chain, but atleast in my case Id rather do this than hear the chain that much!

I can easily change the rear and put the stock front back on. I went for the front first because it was an easy way to see if I like the difference. Now, if I want, I can change the rear and mess with chain length. I'm not at all concerned with hurting the motor because of the extra load when starting off. It took me about 3 launches to get used to it and its not that drastic. This should actually make the chain last longer since it doesn't have to wrap as tight around the smaller front sprocket. :)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jcaesar said:
Raising the teeth in the frong is kinda like trying to start out in second gear, but I doubt one tooth would hurt anything. I also would be interested in any differences in gas mileage.
You are right, 1 tooth made little difference in starting off. It only took me a couple of launches to get used to it.

I'll be sure to post any differences I see in the gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the gas mileage seems to have increased marginally but, like I said the speedo/odo has changed too. Kind of hard to tell for sure since most of my riding has just been in town the last few weeks. I'm heading down to VA in 2 weeks and I hope to get to spend some time riding the Blue Ridge and that area. It should give me a better idea about my highway mileage.

Anyone know how to change the speedo from metric to imperial??

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Heavy FZ6 said:
Anyone know how to change the speedo from metric to imperial??
I'm guessing you mean KPH to MPH :lol

Page 3-4 of the owners manual;

1. Turn key on :neener
2. press select until you reach the odometer
3. Press & hold select for 2 seconds

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
greatzippy said:

Yup, kph is metric and mph is imperial. :rolleyes

OK, you got me on the second part. I can't believe I was lazy enough to not even look at the manual. For shame, for shame. :spank

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
227 Posts
im confussed!! explain this one to me!!

I changed my sprockets to 15-48 and also stuck a speado-healer on so am now almost 100% accurate...and guess what...my mileage has increased. Before the change was getting around 110-120 miles on a tank(up to flashing reserve), since then I am getting close to 140-150 miles before the flashing starts. Only thing I can think of is that I am now in top gear 60 meters after i start off and pretty much stay in top gear the whole time now as there is plenty of acceleration and speed through the rev range in top gear.. anybody else had the same experience?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Silver Six said:
sorry to ask any update on gas milage after the change better of worst ?
No need to apologize, I should have posted some info long ago. Actually, I kinda forgot this thread. I would have to say the gas mileage has improved. I keep a spreadsheet to track fuel use and I'm usually above 50 mpg. I really feel the longer gear has improved my bike (for my riding). It will still wail and go like stink when you get the revs up but it feels like each gear is more useable when riding normally.

Thanks for asking.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mwellbel said:
I am now in top gear 60 meters after i start off and pretty much stay in top gear the whole time now
Cool, you almost have the first automatic FZ6. :)

Is it possible that some of your increased mileage is a result of the bike breaking in? How many miles did you have on it when you switched the sprockets? I did mine at the 1,000 km service (600 miles) and I noticed the range per tank changed very little. This works out to about a 6% increase in fuel economy (increase sprocket size by 6% with no speedo healer). Since then my mpg has risen to a peak average of around 55 mpg.

·
Registered
227 Posts
nah...just done it now and am at 10k miles at the moment, so think i am all run in already!!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
greatzippy said:

What am I doing wrong?

I tried this and the speedometer continued to read "0 kph".

Has anyone actually tried this, and got it to work?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
skeleton said:
What am I doing wrong?

I tried this and the speedometer continued to read "0 kph".

Has anyone actually tried this, and got it to work?
You need to be moving for it to read anything over 0 kph.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
04Fizzer,

OK, ok. I tried it again and it still is locked on metric.

I think I am doing it right?
1) Turn key to ON
2) Tap SELECT repeatedly until ODO is found; then release SELECT.
3) Hold down SELECT for a few seconds.
... But display still reads "0 km/h". Never goes to mph or whatever

Does it switch over for you?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
skeleton said:
04Fizzer,

OK, ok. I tried it again and it still is locked on metric.

I think I am doing it right?
1) Turn key to ON
2) Tap SELECT repeatedly until ODO is found; then release SELECT.
3) Hold down SELECT for a few seconds.
... But display still reads "0 km/h". Never goes to mph or whatever

Does it switch over for you?
I tried it once...though I don't remember how I did it. Whatever was in the manual is what I did, and it worked.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts