Sport Bikes banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Go-faster
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read a forum on sprocket changes, but I didn't see anything posted about the mod I had in mind, ie. down one in front up one in back. Has anyone tried this? I want more torque and easier wheelies. My primary concern is that this mod would require me to shift too quickly out of first in city driving. Maybe I wouldn't need first? A performance tech suggested going up four in back and down one in front for a really noticeable change. I thoght that sounded nuts. :popcorn

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
-1 front and +2 rear has been discussed a few times. Try a search on it. I know this is the set up than FAZR6 uses. If I do it, it will most likely be that same set up. I know a few memebers have done -1 front +4 rear as well.

·
Sperm bank loan officer
375 Posts
I have never played with the gearing on my FZ6, only my track bike. With a -1 +4 set up the spedo error would be HUGE. Remember 1 tooth in the front equals about 3 in the rear.

·
Yeah it's fast...
913 Posts
I went -1 +3, and the off line acceleration didnt increase as much as I would have thought, but rolling acceleration(especially in higher gears) was dramaticall improved. Gas mileage has only seemed to drop off alittle bit and the higway RPMs are very liveable. If I were to do it over or re-do it I would only go -1 +0, or maybe even keep it stock.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
phxtravis said:
I went -1 +3, and the off line acceleration didnt increase as much as I would have thought, but rolling acceleration(especially in higher gears) was dramaticall improved. Gas mileage has only seemed to drop off alittle bit and the higway RPMs are very liveable. If I were to do it over or re-do it I would only go -1 +0, or maybe even keep it stock.
HUH??? It seems that you really had nothing bad to say about the change... so why, if you were to do it over again, would you either go -1 +0 or stay stock? You lost me. :confused:

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
bulldogr6 said:
I have never played with the gearing on my FZ6, only my track bike. With a -1 +4 set up the spedo error would be HUGE. Remember 1 tooth in the front equals about 3 in the rear.

Say it with me now... "SPEEDOHEALER".

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I went -1 front +4 rear a few months ago and I think it was worth it. Off the line didn't change that much but once you hit 2nd you can feel it. It also improved top gear roll on which is what I was really looking for.
This set up does make you shift outta 1st pretty quick though, but you can ride in 2nd below 10mph without a problem as well. The speedo error was huge after I did this .... I'm talkin a good 20mph off. The first day I had this set up I was doing 90mph on the speedo on my way home down the highway and the GPS was only around 70mph. Once I saw how large the error was I ordered a speedo healer the next day, Now I'm -1mph at low speeds and +1mph at high speeds on the speedo vs. GPS. That good enough for me ... granted since I optomized for speed reading my odometer is reading a little less milage then I actually ride. But I figure it'll make up for all the time I spent riding around -1 front +-0 rear and the odometer reading more then I rode.
Gas milage hasn't changed all that much either. It's a little less but not by much. I'm still getting 46-50 mpg from what I can tell. Still better then my cage at only 32mpg.

·
Sperm bank loan officer
375 Posts
crx81 said:
Say it with me now... "SPEEDOHEALER".
Ok then, spend another $100.

·
Yeah it's fast...
913 Posts
The cost vs benefit was to high in my opinion, since I did the 520 conversion. I had to buy both front and rear sprocket, a chain and a chain breaking/riveting tool.

·
Go-faster
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What's the benefit of the 520 conversion? If you'll excuse my ignorance.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Bill W said:
What's the benefit of the 520 conversion? If you'll excuse my ignorance.
Without changing the size of your sprockets just changing to a 520 setup doesn't have any real benifits at all.
All the talk about the conversion has been with a sprocket size change, usually -1 front and +2to4 rear. Not sure if anybody went +5 or more in the rear yet.
It's probably best to do when the time comes to replace your chain anyway. I had about 24k miles on the stock chain when I replaced the stock sprockets with new ones. But I stayed with the 530 setup, wasn't willing to loose the 530 strenght to save a few pounds.

·
Go-faster
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to Heavy FZ6 and Greatzippy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts