Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by the local Triumph dealer for their Open House yesterday. Tucked away in the back of the showroom is a (new) leftover 2006 Sprint ST in Sunset Red. It's been drastically reduced to $8,499 and they are throwing in the factory panniers and two years of service. It fits me very well. The bars are a little lower than I'm used to, but that can easily be changed if they aren't a good fit for me for touring. I think I'm in love. I'm on a Bandit 1250 now and it does very well, but something with more style and performance would be really nice.

So while I'm reading reviews like crazy, I thought it would be good to post on some of my favorite message boards asking for feedback on this bike. Any known problems? What's good? What's not so good? I've read that the panniers are a PITA to close and engine heat can be a problem. Does the price on this bike seem as amazing to you all as it does to me?

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
9,239 Posts
Na, not to many fans around here, but I sure like the Sprint ST as well. That would be on a short list of bikes if I were in the market for one.

I can't help you out with any helpfull info though. Good luck. :cheers

·
Registered
523 Posts
Wait a minute!! My boyfriend and I have 6 Triumphs - two of them are 2006 Sprint ST ABS's. I've got to say that in my opinion, The Sprint ST is the perfect bike!! It's sporty, yet comfortable. The torque is AMAZING!! I love the triples!! No more searching for gears to get into the power band like the four cylinder bikes.

What's especially nice about the Sprint ST is that it's ready to carve up twisty roads at any given moment, yet comfortable to do so for four hours or more. It's naturally great on long distance rides. The suspension is forgiving in all the right places and reactive enough for optimal performance riding in the twisties.

Lately I've ridden all types of bikes (BMW's to Hondas), but for me nothing is better than the Sprint ST. It fits like a glove and is very responsive. I recently had the opportunity to be an official Triumph USA Team rider at our local bike shop for their yearly demo days rides. I rode all but two of the current Triumph models available (I'm not into cruisers). The most comfortable and fun bike was still the Sprint.

As for any issues with the 2006 model, there was a problem with heat coming out of the right fairing, but Triumph came out with a fix for that. Just make sure the bike you're looking at has the heat fix kit on it. Reputable dealers will already have it done. Other than that, you're good to go!!

As for the panniers, my boyfriend has them on his bike. The only problem is that you cannot fit a helmet in them. I have the Givi V46 top case and I love it because I can fit two helmets in it. They changed the bar height in 2007 to make it more comfortable and came out with a refit kit. I had the bar kit and the new windscreen installed and find it much more comfortable than the stock version. Considering the new cost on that bike is well over $10,000 I would say the price you posted is a great deal.

Good luck and I hope this helps!!

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
The 2007 bars are higher, and are a typical mod. You can also buy Genmar risers.

I actually took off (and sold) my 07 bars to go with much lower 2000 bars, but that's what works for me.

Style is great, I get compliments everywhere I go. I have people telling me it's the only bike they "lust for"

Best board I've found for Sprints - Sprint Forum - TriumphRat.Net

Significant issues: not much. Some folks find inconsistant brake action, where the 1st lever pull is a bit longer. Fixes include going to Daytona coated pistons, or buying take-off calipers for $50 off ebay and fitting those (hence, my 6 pots mod). Some folks bitch about the lights, since they have a sharp cutoff like european lights have. I did HID's, but I was pretty happy anyway. YMMV

Typical mods - exhaust, windshields, bar raisers, Corbin seats, drop a tooth up front

Some folks make them more touring, some like me go more sporting.

Engine and exhaust heat were complaints over years, and every year is pretty much better than the one before. I don't have an issue with either, I'd say by 06 they had that problem licked.

Panniers are fine, you just have to learn how they work.

Best bike I've ever owned, and it's a ton of fun. Torquey 3 cyl engine, but good top end punch. Feels like it could rev another 2000 rpm. 160 mph with my heavy load on there.

Single sided swingarm is sexy, and makes chain adjustments and wheel removal incredibly easy.

Triumph does demo days, if you want to test ride one first.

So, for the more sporty look and feel:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fantastic information. Thank you very much vtimm and F4sSprintST. I'm trying to schedule a test ride and as soon as the weather clears, I'll try it out and let you guys know what happens. The sales manager hasn't given me the warm fuzzies so far. They won't take a trade-in on this bike since "it's been marked down so much already". This makes no sense to me. You'd think they would be motivated to sell a new 2-year old bike that they've been paying interest on for over 2 years. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
97 Posts
When I'm ready to get rid of my FZ6, the Sprint ST will be my next bike. Man is that thing comfortable! Not to mention, it is sexy as hell. I love that single sided swing arm.

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
I Wish it had USD forks..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks like Triumphs aren't too popular around here...
They're not. Try this: Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

Look me up!

BTR01

Oh, and for the record, This (the ST) is one of the few bikes that I'd trade my trusty RS for. Sporty when you want or need it to be... a long range missile when you need it to be. This is a bike that you won't get tired of finding things that it can do. Will even handle track days... but if you lay her down, like any faired bike, you'd better take out a loan! 'Cause that plastic's gonna break da bank! ...but that's to be expected.

Also, I agree with what F4sSprintST said! The only thing that I think that I might like on an ST (besides myself) is some type of brake setup like the equilever type that activate both ends, but that's not really a show stopper. ABS, on the other hand, for me, is! If you get an ST, go for the ABS. Technology's finally gotten to the point where it can make things that much better. I don't have ABS on my '01 RS, but I was thinking about doing the mod. Until I spoke to the dealer and he...well... sniff, sniff... he hurt my feelings! LOL

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
What are the usual issues with the sprint?

Brakes, Suspension?

I want a bike that does not require me to mod the hell out of it. It pinches my pocket too much. I sometimes feel like I am done with my modding frenzy already with my current bike. Maybe I overdid it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts