Sport Bikes banner

Sprint RS Questions

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  TTopher 
#1 ·
Saw a '01 Sprint RS with ridiculously low miles (~2k) and am thinking about it.

I've never owned a Trumpet. I rode a Sprint ST once from the same time period (had the 955i motor) and thought the motor was great. The RS looks even a little better.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any common issue with this bike to look out for? The condition is excellent.

Seller is asking a little under $5k.

Comments? Thanks

#2 ·
Get it!!

Got a '00 Sprint RS, i have yet to see another RS around and it sounds like nothing else (get a two brothers pipe). Great all around handler, good for riding around town/commuting and more than able to cut up the backroads. A relaxed seating position that will allow you to put on some serious miles.

I had it for almost a whole season, no problems at all, except for not enough time to ride it

#3 ·
Thanks for the comments. I agree, the triple does sound really cool. It has an interesting mechanical sound too, maybe the valve train. Sounds kind of like gear driven cams but I think they're actually chain driven.

Glad to hear its been reliable too.

And welcome to the forum! :cheers

#4 ·
Good bikes. I prefer the looks of the later models that come with the single sided swingarm... can't remember what year they added it.

Nothing really to worry about mechanical-wise. I have five triumphs and have never really had any problems with them. Aside from little stuff like my battery going dead (it was old and a new battery fixed it).

Go for it!

#5 ·
That "mechanical sound" i believe is actually the alternator. My friend has a Speed T ripple, also with the 955i engine but with smaller alternator, and he doesnt have that sound.

If the bike doesnt have a belly pan, get one.....it really completes the look of the bike....do a goolge image search to see what i mean.

#6 · (Edited)
I have an '01 Sprint RS that I bought back in 2006 with just over 2k on the clock. It's been 2 years now, and except for me wrecking it, and then paying to have it repaired (miles were still too low to let it go...), it's been stellar! The only problem is figuring out which dealership to go to. Great bike all around, corners like a dream (once you get rid of the stock BT-020 tires) and will not shock you with the power delivery. ...and the sound that you get when you push it through 5k on the tach, is addictive! For more info, check me out or DaveM out on Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

So what I'm saying is...if I had to do it all over again... the only thing that I would change is the model year and that it had ABS. Yeah, I'd buy it all over again, without even a moments thought! Sport Tourer with enough power to get you out there and let you enjoy the experience of being on something that you won't see every Tom, Dick & Harry on. What's that... that doesn't matter to you? Yeah, you can say that now, but when you're out riding and you see another Triumph (because you know what they look like, now) and people are giving you a thumbs up as they drive by you in thheir BMWs and things of that nature, you'll realize one thing. You not only appeciated as a motorcyclist, but they actually seem to accept you more. Maybe it's because that most that ride Triumphs are more adult drivers...besides... what's not to like about an original! ;0)

Go your own way!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.