Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seeing more and more reports and such that seem to believe that soon all sports will be on paid channels only. This is something that I dont see as a good thing for sports. In my opinion most sports are already to expensive to go watch in person more than once a year or so at least on a professional level. I cant bring myself to pay a subscription to watch sports. I usually have to settle for highlights of MotoGP if I cant find it the next day on regular channels. I love to watch football but even that would be cut out if I could not get it on regular channels. I have to believe that the loss of viewers would be huge to most if not all sports that go the paid channel route. Then on top of that for sports like MotoGP that really need to grow their popularity this hurts that growth a whole lot. I would love to see the sport grow in the US but fear that in the end this kind of a move will make MotoGP fail in the US. What do you all think?

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
torrents. Motoamerica is talking about it too and good luck with that. I already want to boycott them for not doing mid-ohio...which always had good turnouts.

but I agree popular stuff is one thing, football already has tons of viewers. fringe sports will be hurt. But frankly I already consider motogp a failure in the US because only people with sportbikes care about it. It doesnt appeal to many people beyond that unlike in every other country.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think with proper advertising and showing it on local channels that you could increase the fan base in the US a whole lot. It just isnt known enough. Throw some adds in on other racing and sports events that are being watched. Some great highlights and such with great passes and all compressed into 30 seconds or so played during some of the popular sports. The fan base can be built but not if you make it pay per view.

On the other sports. I dont think the popular sports can afford to loose the number of viewers that they would loose if they went to pay channels. Even football would suffer I think.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Well the millionaires playing for the billionaires need more $

Actually, it's probably because less people are watching sports

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
or maybe sports fans are pushing it? if it's pay per view then no commercials. what's more fun than watching a race and you miss 12 laps of a 23 lap race? FUCK network TV coverage and it's 8min long commercials every 4 mins.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
or maybe sports fans are pushing it? if it's pay per view then no commercials. what's more fun than watching a race and you miss 12 laps of a 23 lap race? FUCK network TV coverage and it's 8min long commercials every 4 mins.
Exactly. As always, this is not a shift in supply - that's a shift in demand. More and more people prefer to pay extra and to have an enjoyable experience in front of their TVs/PCs rather than watch the free crap that pays itself through the plethora of shit that they throw at you throughout the broadcast.

I watched motogp on cable one single time and I bought the motogp pass on the very next day. I've been buying it every year since 2006 or 2007 if memory serves me right and I'll keep on buying it until I'm alive.

This applies to any sport for me. I wanted to see a bunch of soccer games when the world cup was on so I bought video passes for the games I cared about. I wanted to see a boxing match I was interested in and I bought a video pass for that as well. If there's a sport that I follow on regular basis like motogp - I just get an annual subscription for a better price. I really enjoy the quality of paid coverage and to me the pay-per-view system makes all the sense in the world.

P.S.

I don't think the pay-per-view thing is unique to sports. There's a global push to this kind of viewing experience with all these websites and services that offer on-demand video content.

Nowadays there's a lot more precise and efficient ways to engage your target auditory than to destroy the viewing experience of millions through an expensive ad in the off chance that maybe 10% of the people that now hate your guts may actually be interested in the product you advertise.

So in a few years time cable will be a thing of the past just like cassettes and CDs and you won't even have the option to view the shitty free coverage because everything will be paid individually and not as a global package simply because less and less companies will be willing to spend crazy money on TV ads so consumers will be the ones replacing the revenue from ads and exchanging it for better coverage ... which is a good thing.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The thing is that you have the option to pay for the coverage you want while not taking the sport away from those that will not pay. I understand some people want the full experience and have the money to make that happen but then some people are more casual about the sports and would never pay extra for it. This all seems to be a bad deal if you want to grow your sport. If your ok with no viewer growth or even a drop in viewers then I guess it works out but the numbers would go down as people who currently pay for it die.

I have never purchased a pass for any sport and never will. If there is no other way to watch the sport then I will simply not watch it. I might hit up the highlights after the game is over. I guess in the end it would be good because that would be less time I spend in front of the TV anyway.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
you should be used to catching the highlights someplace else because that's all network tv coverage is pretty much.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You see much more on network tv than the highlights even with races. With other sports like Football you dont miss anything at all but they are able to stop the game and all. I am just saying that I believe they will find that going paid only will loose more fans and that is not something I think they can afford in just about any sport and even less in motorcycle racing.

Let me ask this way. Why do factory teams exist? I believe the factory teams that are in MotoGP are there because they believe it will help bike sales. Do you think that the factories will stay if the viewers drop by say half? Maybe I am wrong about this and they really dont need new viewers and dont mind loosing a large portion of viewers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts