Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday on my way home from work I tried something different. SPEED LIMIT.

Now some of you are saying good you should be. And thinking I was doing 5 or 10 over the speed limit. But no.. I did speed Limit 55mph.

I ALMOST DIED!!!

For about 10 miles of the ride home I did 55mph. in the right lane. Trucks where passing me, cars where buzzing me and riding my ass! Talk about being at a unsafe speed.

After that I moved up between 5-10 over. What is still SPEEDING. However its 60-65mph. Trucks still passing me!!! Left lane looks like the raceway. Now the trucks are not passing me as fast but they are still passing.

Move to 70mph. Trucks are now at the same speed. Sometimes I run into a few that are a tad slower. Maybe about 65+ - SPEED LIMIT IS STILL 55MPH!

Left lane is still going at a very good clip 80-85mph. Sometimes you have the speeder doing 90-95mph. But mostly I see people doing about 80-85mph. Guys this is still 25-30mph over the speed limit. 21mph in IL is a huge ticket and sometimes considered wreckless driving! And these are cars and SUV's!

So lets put this in a easy chart

55MPH - No one was doing that on 294 Tollway - SPEED LIMIT

60-65MPH - Rare 1 Truck at same speed but most trucks passing slowly

70MPH - Trucks Average speed I noticed

75-80MPH - Middle Lane Average speed

80-85mph - Left Lane Average Speed (25-30MPH OVER THE SPEED LIMIT)

90-95mph - Heavy speeders you can tell they are in a hurry :)

So my point to all this.. EVERYONE IS SPEEDING. Not just sportbikes. But just cars. Everyone is breaking the law.

Why do we get pinned? Well Lane splitting between traffic at 110-120mph avg speed. Yup thats double the speed limit. But no matter how you look at it. EVERYONE is breaking the law.

Back when I was learning to drive I was told 65mph on the tolldway 55mph zone was a ok speed to go at without getting pulled over. Now I see people pressing the 70-75mph mark. Is it becuase our cars are more stable and comfortable at these speeds? I dont know.

But I just wish people would stop picking on Sportbikes when everyone is speeding. Ohhh well. Just thought I share

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
while i can empathize w/ what your saying

here's a recent thread 'run or stop'

http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=283103

now if you were in the car, would that thought ever enter the thought process, prolly not. but since we have a 'superior' machine many think and act on it.

unforn. i think we deserve the rep. we have. :(

·
Registered
496 Posts
They pin point us because there are a lot less bikes then cars and it gives the "law" an excusse. Not to mention the amount of retards riding ss bikes that give us all a bad name! I can name a few! It's just something you have to learn to deal with if you ride. Cops around here pretty much just pin point big groups of bikes, I ride alone a lot, I very rarely even get looked at.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
one thing i get sick pleasure out of is actually doing 30 mph in those 30 mph zones that i come across on those country roads i frequent.

you should see the cars pile up behind me at that speed.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I tend to do roughly 10 over the posted speed limit on city streets here in lexington. And i tend to get passed by about 40-50% of the cars on the road. Most of the speed limits range from 45-55 depending on the road and its 65 on the highway, and that is a different story all together. The cops are pretty lenient on bikes here in the city as long as your acting like a retard you should be okay. What pisses me off though is i was driving my truck for the first time in a few weeks and i get pulled over for doing 53 in a 45 and i was moving with traffic on probably one of the bussiest roads in lexington.

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
RACER X said:
{snip} unforn. i think we deserve the rep. we have. :(
Something you and I can agree on finally...

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Totally unfair. However, playing the Devil's Advocate here, sportbikes are some the fastest things that are licensed for street use. Almost any SS can take out even a Ferrari Enzo. Point being is that SS are going to get picked on because of their performance potential, unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
When I take interstate, my usual trip is about 80 miles one way. Durring that 80 miles I MIGHT get passed once or twice by the usuall "off the wall" speeder that is going way faster than anybody else. I usually go just fast enough to keep passing cars, and fast enought no to have them sneak up behind and tailgate me.

·
Registered
912 Posts
What's really sad is, had a cop rolled up on you and you were doing the speed limit with everyone stuck behind you he woulda pulled you over for impeding traffic, or at least on suspicion of doing something else...

·
Registered
813 Posts
Sportbikes look fast.. usually riden by under 25 crowd.. just like ricers get pulled over all the time.. anytime a sportbike is on the news, it's for something bad.. anytime sportbike are in the movies, they are going mach 1..

But.. I do speed more on a bike than my Jeep... I'll go 10 mph over the speed limit on my Jeep but go 10-20 over on my bike.. mostly for the reason you've stated.. it's just safer.

·
Fitshaced
1,888 Posts
See I'm more the opposite. When I'm on the freeway I have no problem sticking 5 over even if it is in the slow lane. If people are riding my ass I'll let them pass or speed up a little and try to get somewhere I can cruise. On the streets though I find my self having a much harder time going 35 mph down the road. Without realizing it I'll be at 45-50mph.

·
Registered
323 Posts
yeah people here in idaho are crazy too ill be doing the speed limit on the freeway and people will be flying past me. then if i do about 83 then there are still cars and suvs passing me but we have way to many cali reject cops with a chip on there shoulder for me to speed around i also have a very clean record so if i do speed around its usually around 3 in the am out by where i live its all country roads and everyone is asleep then im lucky if i see 2 cars the whole night.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I do the speed limit a lot of the time . . . even at midninght. I cant be going over 65 and still do a wheelie, so I'll stick to 65 :lol

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Justin726 said:
When I take interstate, my usual trip is about 80 miles one way. Durring that 80 miles I MIGHT get passed once or twice by the usuall "off the wall" speeder that is going way faster than anybody else. I usually go just fast enough to keep passing cars, and fast enought no to have them sneak up behind and tailgate me.
I'm exactly the same way. I feel much safer that way. I'm not hauling ass on the highway (yes hawaii has highways) but i try and stay a few miles faster the fastest car out there.

Funny thing out here is not too many go crazy on speed. It's so congested most of the time you can't get up to speed. At night however the weirdest thing happens. EVERYONE slows down to crawl speed. Speed limit is 55 and people are doing 50. I'll be doing 60 and be passing people like they are sitting still.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
Rascus said:
I'm exactly the same way. I feel much safer that way. I'm not hauling ass on the highway (yes hawaii has highways)
i think the joke is Interstates...not highways...

:bitchslap :lao

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
You know what's funny..is that H1 (our main highway) is considered part of the Dwight Eisenhower "Interstate" system

·
Official E-Thug
1,689 Posts
I think that little research project shows a good point... when people talk about not wanting to get a ticket or not deserving one... and some jackass talks about being a "man" or taking your "medicine" when it is UNSAFE to do the speed limit....

Sticking to the speed limit, and never ever "speeding", is not safe and not prudent, and that is a fact. So a cop pulling you over for 10mph over and someone on the board bitching about it is more than reasonable.

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
hanglowejohnson said:
I think that little research project shows a good point... when people talk about not wanting to get a ticket or not deserving one... and some jackass talks about being a "man" or taking your "medicine" when it is UNSAFE to do the speed limit....

Sticking to the speed limit, and never ever "speeding", is not safe and not prudent, and that is a fact. So a cop pulling you over for 10mph over and someone on the board bitching about it is more than reasonable.
You've got 1 thing going for you, you're consistently a moron. If you want to cross reference posts, at least follow the topics accurately. Our posts about being a “man” and talking the “medicine” is about RUNNING FROM THE POLICE. Not speeding. Nice try Einstein.

·
Official E-Thug
1,689 Posts
You are funny, I wasn't talking about you. Someone likes to be the center of attention! :banana :gheyfight

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I can't imagine going that fast. I got pulled over in my truck the other day by the ISP for going 62 in a 55 and was given a written warning for it :rolleyes

1 - 20 of 22 Posts