Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
I resemble that remark!
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's ugly, that's for sure. But, on long trips I think it would be nice. I took a Givi hard case and bolted the mounted plate to a RiceRocketRack.

What do you think? Ugly but useful on weekend trips? Or, just plain ugly? :)

Attachments

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
Who cares what it looks like if it gets the job done.

No need for those rear pegs anymore :)

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
I give it my seal of approval! :dblthumb

I'm building a rear luggage rack for my girlfriend's bike as a christmas present, so I really have no room to comment.

MUCH better than a nylon tailbag.

·
So what?
1,134 Posts
Can't they be aken off whn not in use? Tey do their job. I've turned a sport standard into a tourer before. It didn't look nearly as good as yours I bet thats waterproof too. Nice!

·
Speed Racer
1,650 Posts
You'll notice a bunch of weight up high if you really load that thing up,,, which can mess with your twisting tearing.

I had the ventura bag on my VFR and hated it for that reason. It can help cause low speed/0 speed tip overs too.

I perfer saddlebags and tankbags for that reason.

·
I resemble that remark!
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes, thank goodness you can take this rack off and put your stock rear seat back on in 10 seconds flat. It snaps right into where your passenger seat goes so it's a piece of cake.

If I go anywhere, I will take the small passenger seat and put it in the Givi case so I can switch it out when I get to the hotel.

And yes, 100% waterproof :)

Oh, and my bike has a plastic tank so tank bags are out of the question. For straight long haul trips, I wouldn't really be concerned with handling issues. Once I get to the hotel and put the rear seat back on, then I can go out and nail some turns :)

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Yes, thank goodness you can take this rack off and put your stock rear seat back on in 10 seconds flat. It snaps right into where your passenger seat goes so it's a piece of cake.

If I go anywhere, I will take the small passenger seat and put it in the Givi case so I can switch it out when I get to the hotel.

And yes, 100% waterproof :)

Oh, and my bike has a plastic tank so tank bags are out of the question. For straight long haul trips, I wouldn't really be concerned with handling issues. Once I get to the hotel and put the rear seat back on, then I can go out and nail some turns :)

Actually, my tank is plastic and I can use a tank bag just fine. It's not quite as convenient as the magnetic ones, but it does the job.

My bag DOES have magnets in it as well, though. But yeah- I just strap it down and go. Takes maybe three minutes to get it on there and about 30 seconds to remove.

I've done a few 500+ mile days with it on there, and it has never wanted to fall off or anything. Makes a nice chin rest, too. The only problem is that fully loaded my bag is so tall that I can't see the gauges without standing up, lol.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
So the plate is universal, but the mounting hardware is model specific and snaps in like the passenger seat? Or is there any screwdriving required?

Their website is a little nondescript.

·
I resemble that remark!
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yes, exactamundo! Same slab of aluminum for all bikes but the mounting hardware is specific for each bike so it mimiks the hardware on the underside of your passenger seat.

The rack snaps right onto your rear exactly how your passenger seat does. It's that easy.

Put it on when you need it, take it off when you don't.

Sure, he could have done a better job at making it look nicer. But, the idea and concept is excellent.

Yeah and his website sucks :)

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I'm all about hard luggage so I won't criticize how it looks; function over form ya know.

Are there no Givi tail racks available for your bike? A proper tail rack that mounts the top case behind the pillion is bit more practical because you can (a)still carry a passenger, (b)if no passenger, strap more touring gear to the bike, like a tent & bed roll.

·
I resemble that remark!
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm all about hard luggage so I won't criticize how it looks; function over form ya know.

Are there no Givi tail racks available for your bike? A proper tail rack that mounts the top case behind the pillion is bit more practical because you can (a)still carry a passenger, (b)if no passenger, strap more touring gear to the bike, like a tent & bed roll.
I haven't been to Givi's site to see but I've had many of their racks on other bikes. This bike is too small for a passenger on long trips. I'm already 6'2". A passenger for trips up and down the beach are okay, but they would die on anything further.

However, the extra storage space would be nice.

The thing about the Givi rack is that it is permanent. You can take the hard bag off but the rack would still be sticking out. The nice thing about this rack is that I can remove it in 10 seconds for a nice clean sporty look.

So, I guess the Givi rack would have its good and bad points.

·
rebel litre
3,748 Posts
1 vote for "best hood technology". it gets the job done. i like it.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I dig it, man. I'd consider that for myself since it pops on and off so easy. May I ask how much that ran ya?

Oh, and my strap tankbag works just fine. I can pop it on in about thirty seconds and get it off in about five... click, click, click of the buckles and you're on your way.

Nice bike BTW! :dblthumb

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't think it looks bad at all, and it gets the job done. Does it throw off your center of gravity much? Did you adjust suspension for when you load it down (I imagine it would be much like riding a passenger often)?

·
Gianticus Squidicus
2,831 Posts
fackin sweet.

done a bit of distance on my last bike and i wouldn't give a shit what it looks like, if it works.

being able to take it off quick and easy is HUGE I would love it.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts