Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the similarities and differences between these two. I've always wondered what it would be like to drive a car with either the BMW or Audi System. Does the BMW Sequential Manual Gearbox or Audi Dynamic Shift Gearbox require a clutch?
I know that the Audi is supposed to be the world's fastest production gearbox (in terms of upshift speed). How does the Sportbike gearbox compare shifting w/ or w/o the clutch.
And I haven't read too many articles regarding sportbike gearbox updates. Are we still generally using transmission technology from the 80's/90's?
This site is great for picking up info :thumbsup

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
i know motorcycle trannies are constant mesh, dont really know too much about the audi or bmw gearboxes. i clutchless upshifted on my R6 and it was way faster than any tiptronic gearboxes ive used in cars. although they werent an audi or bmw. :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
I know the BMW is a true manual transmission with an electronic, computer-controlled clutch. Even though, I doubt any is as fast as a proper, clutchless upshift on a bike. Do it right and it is almost instantaneous.

·
Registered
952 Posts
brentsR6 said:
i know motorcycle trannies are constant mesh, dont really know too much about the audi or bmw gearboxes. i clutchless upshifted on my R6 and it was way faster than any tiptronic gearboxes ive used in cars. although they werent an audi or bmw. :D

I wasnt aware of any other tiptronic gearboxes besides the BMW and Audi... maybe Ferrari....

Most tiptronic gear boxes are just automatics that let you control when it shifts... which is completely different.

·
DT is happy it snowed
1,582 Posts
I've heard the Audi box is supposed to be pretty revolutionary as it can actually be in 2 gears at one time. Sorta just switches between the two when it's time for a shift rather then moving everything. Or something like that...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts