Sport Bikes banner

Sport commuter or scooter

678 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  squids_R_slow 
#1 · (Edited)
If you can only get one bike, should I get a sport bike (commuter) or scooter? I have ridden both, a Suzuki Gladius and Burgmann.

With sport bike (commuter), it seems more fun since you can shift and more power than a scooter. And more sporty like in its name. More aggressive seating, but not geared towards comfort. It seems like a bike you can go for a weekend ride with a group.

With a scooter (600cc big scooter), it's easier to drive and don't really have to think much about it. No shifting which works well in stop and go situations or crowded areas. Also has cargo spaces to store stuff, sport bikes don't. Roomier seats for driver and passenger, more relaxed seating position. But then may be less fun if you got a big road with lots of turns. I don't know how fun this will be for a weekend ride or trying to ride in a group where people got more powerful bikes.

I'm trying to decide which will be a good first bike, maybe I can get both later on so I can have one bike dedicated for fun and one for purely commuting. I may move to LA for a new job if I get it so I'm trying to figure out which bike would be the best for the congested LA traffic. Because I plan on lane splitting.

See less See more
#3 ·
The scooter is more practical, and a lot better if you have to contend with bad weather. Being that you're in SoCal, that latter factor isn't so important.

As your first bike, though, neither of those is a great choice. Get a 250, either a scooter or a Ninja, first for a while.

PhilB

#5 ·
if i never had so much fun carving up canyons and track days, I'd go scooter all the way. and I'd wear full leathers. oh wait, that's bad. everyone knows that a crash at 50 on a scooter is not near as painful as a sportbike at 50. so, flip-flops and shorts for me.

I'm seriously kidding on the flip-flops thing. i'd wear gear regardless. i'm allergic to asphalt and concrete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.