Sport Bikes banner

Sport bike suggestions

5K views 44 replies 18 participants last post by  Jaxx 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know of any somewhat slow, yet track oriented bikes with a quarter mile time of around 12-13 seconds?

I can only seem to find 500cc bikes with 14+ second times, or 600cc bikes with quarter mile times of 11 seconds or less.

Acceleration wise the Ninja 500r or the Ducati Monster 696 are basically idea for me, yet both of the bikes have the riders seated in a cruiser position.

I want a track oriented bike that feels fast, yet can be driven somewhat hard within the city rather than reaching illegal speeds without even shifting out of first gear.

Thanks,
Canehdian

#40 · (Edited)
Thanks again for suggesting this Akumu. I was under the false assumption that this was more of a highway cruiser, but upon researching it actually looks very suitable for my needs. In general Vtwin sport bikes seem to be right up my alley.

I'm hoping to get your guys opinion on buying a used SV650 though. I will be looking to buy one that will not depreciate too much. My options are pretty much two ranges of bikes that seem to be popping up everywhere:

1. 1999-2003's with roughly 10-15K miles for around $3000-$3200.
2. 1999-2003's with about 30K miles for roughly $2000-2200.

Of the two decisions, which would be the most financially sound if you take into account the potential cost of repairs/maintenance as well as the bikes depreciating value? I will most likely ride the bike for 10,000 or 15,000 miles unless I upgrade sooner.

Keep in mind that these are Canadian bikes, so they will probably cost a bit more for the year and mileage then the same bikes in the USA.

Thanks a bunch

#7 ·
Check out this site and reply with what 'forward lean' you would like.

Motorcycle Ergonomics

Because, for the life of me I can't think of a Ninja 500 type (fairly slow) of bike that is that aggressive beyond some old 400s, which I would HATE to slide off down the track. $$$

Perhaps a Ninja 500 with clip ons? I guess, compared to a Ducati 1098 the SV650S is fairly upright, but not compared to something like an F4i. You could throw some Woodcraft clipons on just about anything... Rear sets, too.

#8 · (Edited)
Then you don't want a sportbike. Because they are intended for high-speed use (hence the fairings), they are all geared quite tall relative to other bike types, and their torque band is high in the rev range as well, which gives them all that power but compounds the problem.

The antithesis is a cruiser - which makes a ton of torque at low rpm and provides great acceleration at those speeds, but runs out of revs quickly and requires upshifting sooner.

So, take those as your endpoints and slide along the line. Generally fewer cylinders = more torque and less rpm. Generally less super-sport-ish = less speed in gears and less top-end-oriented.

Specifically, I would point you at something like a Street Triple or the BMW F series, but a lot of bikes can be taken to the track successfully. Supermotos. Moto Guzzi V series. FZ6. Triumph twins.

Your quarter mile criterion seems somewhat weird, actually.

KeS

#10 ·
Thanks a lot guys! Seems like the SV would be pretty suitable but I dont think what I had been looking for exactly exists. Idealyl what I had hoped to find was a bike that rides like a sport bike in every way when it comes to handling/rider positioning, but is more geared like the cruiser that kevin_stevens described.

That being said, I've never rider a SV 650 and by the way you all describe it it sounds like it handles really well while retaining it's ability to be used on a daily basis, so maybe that would be more suitable.

#16 ·
I want a bike with an aggressive riding position because I find it way more enjoyable to ride especially in the corners. I love the feeling of riding a sport bike, but I want one that I can drive to it's full potential without losing my licence. I recently rode a 10 second bike and as soon as I laid on the throttle, I pretty much had to slow down because I was over then speed limit. I'd rather have to shift a couple of times before getting to that point, as well as have to downshift a few times when coming up to a corner. I think it's more enjoyable to drive a slower vehicle to it's full potential, then be forced to timidly drive a fast vehicle.

#22 ·
Three of my last four bikes have been a ZX-14, a S1000RR, and a K13S - and the fourth was a 150HP 1125CR. I got to full throttle and/or rev limiter on each of them at least once a week and the only ticket I got was "failure to come to a complete stop" once when I didn't put a foot down.

On the flip side, my very first motorsickle ever was right in the middle of your spec - a 1977 GS-750B, good for 12.7 quarter miles in someone else's hands and somewhat less powerful and heavier than an FZ6. It would wheelie in third gear, run all day at 130mph (literally), throw sparks cornering either side, and if I recall correctly, first gear was good to 65mph. In other words, riding it to "full potential" was thoroughly illegal 35 years ago.

So quit wasting everyone's time. If you have your own special definition of "full potential", define it accurately and use it consistently. You can't have what you asked for in your original post. You'll have to pick a MUCH slower bike, probably the 250-300 you already rejected, or you'll have to man up and take actual responsibility for your right wrist.

:bfd

KeS

#23 ·
It is more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. Grab a ninja 250, redo the suspension, apply clip-ons, and enjoy.

#26 ·
Lol wow a lot of people seem to take offence to this.

Regardless, this thread was really helpful because I realize what I was looking for now, a low revving sport bike. A realize that the concept of a low revving sport bike is a bit of an oxymoron, and would be the equivalence to having a Ferrari with the same redline as a semi truck, but it is still the bike that I would have the most fun with.

Now that I know what to look for I'll be able to narrow it down a lot more, thanks. If anyone knows of any sporty feeling bikes with a sub 10K redline, I'd be more then open to suggestions, otherwise I have no problem doing some more research now that I know what to look for.

Thanks

#27 ·
Now that I know what to look for I'll be able to narrow it down a lot more, thanks. If anyone knows of any sporty feeling bikes with a sub 10K redline, I'd be more then open to suggestions, otherwise I have no problem doing some more research now that I know what to look for.
(It redlines at 9k, and is a good size for a new rider)

#28 ·
You know Rhetoric, after researching that sounds pretty sweet. I'm pretty happy with the speed of my car which will clock low 13's at a little over 100, this one will do roughly the same but at around 90-95 mph.

And Maverick: I recently had the pleasure of driving a 997 911 Turbo, a bit faster then a 12 second car, and without being on a racetrack or the autobahn it was waaaaaaay to much power. I guess I got a bit carried away, because that CBR500 does sound much more ideal for what I am after.

#34 · (Edited)
Reading this again, this really makes no sense. You want an uncomfortable, slow, bike. Seriously, what's wrong with a 250 or 300 with clip-ons? Why are you afraid of revving over 10k? There's a reason you have 250 club racing at any track.

Serious question, have you ridden before? Your questions seem like someone who hasn't - especially when you mention taking "full advantage" of the bike. If you're scared of a 600, you can't take full advantage of anything. Buy a 250 and stop trying to reinvent the wheel.

And learn throttle control. That's really the key. I can get a reckless ticket on my 250 just as easily as I can avoid the law on my Ducati literbike. Amazingly enough, the bike goes 0 mph without your right hand! Shock!

#35 · (Edited)
Looks like a 250 or cbr500 with clip on's is the best solution. Also can't complain about the MPG.

I've only ever briefly ridden any other bike besides mine though, so maybe I would have fun with a faster bike or a more comfortable bike. However I loved the feel of riding when positioned like I was on a cbr 929, but have more fun going through the gears on my lower revving bike, so I think I probably would really enjoy it. I do understand why this baffles you all though, and why you would want nothing to do with this bike.

Thanks again everyone, as confusing as this was for you it was really helpful to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.