Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how do you guys enjoy the social life of being a sport bike rider?

When I went to demo bikes at my local dealership, it seemed easy to strike up a conversation with a few people I met over there. I talked to him for a long time like we shared mutual friends even though we don't. It felt like the movie "I Love You Man" where you engage in a conversation with some guy you never met like you're becoming best friends. I think having motorcycles as a shared interest really helps meet people outside your group of friends because I feel lame I am still hanging out with the same people since high school (I'm 25 now, graduated college).

Also saw my MSF instructor there too who had a tent promoting his company. He remembered me and we started talking and he told me about his BMW motorcycle. He's an old man in his 50-60s and having this motorcycle as a medium of interest is the only way I can talk to someone twice my age like a friend.

Also a girl that was there let me ride her ninja 250 in the parking lot. She thought how funny it was she let a total stranger ride her bike.

This is how I plan to get into a serious relationship with a girl because it's the only way I can ensure I find someone who is willing to do more than just go hiking or sight seeing. Also to ensure I get into a relationship where the motorcycle can exist, especially when kids happen. I see old couples in their 40-50s riding goldwings and it seems to keep the relationship healthy and interesting.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
it IS something to do with your SO.

I haven't found one yet who rides, and it strains things, so it'd seem. mainly because it seems to be a passion one has when the other doesn't understand it. I had one start resenting the bike because she felt I was spending too much time on it and not enough with her. made no sense, I spent at least a couple hours a week with her. :D
also, for those of us with no game, yakkin about bikes is one great icebreaker.

Still, i wouldn't limit myself to someone who rides a bike. rather, I'd look for someone who, if they don't, understands it is a passion of mine and accepts that, or, is interested in perhaps starting to ride herself, but hasn't yet.

I generally don't spend much time in the "bike social life", I find it is mostly full of idiots.
but one on one, at a gas station or some such place, I'll start talking with just about anyone on a bike. it's easy conversation and you never know who you will meet.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
I don't. Bike nights and such are sausagefests. Most riders are great people but its no different than anything else...you meet good people here and there and life goes on. I dont see anything particular about sport bikes, or harley people (I know many) or any other sub-culture.

I'm hearing offline and reading online about a lot of people in their 20's getting into motorcycles for the social thing...I cant speak for that but it all sounds gay to me.

I got a really nice looking bike now and people go out of their way to compliment me on something I bought. Before that I had a bike I used n abused with great pleasure and never worried about, and not a peep from anyone. I give a rats ass about the popularity contest of it all one way or another and I think its a shame people identify themselves (or others) with something that can be bought.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
So how do you guys enjoy the social life of being a sport bike rider?

When I went to demo bikes at my local dealership, it seemed easy to strike up a conversation with a few people I met over there. I talked to him for a long time like we shared mutual friends even though we don't. It felt like the movie "I Love You Man" where you engage in a conversation with some guy you never met like you're becoming best friends. I think having motorcycles as a shared interest really helps meet people outside your group of friends because I feel lame I am still hanging out with the same people since high school (I'm 25 now, graduated college).

Also saw my MSF instructor there too who had a tent promoting his company. He remembered me and we started talking and he told me about his BMW motorcycle. He's an old man in his 50-60s and having this motorcycle as a medium of interest is the only way I can talk to someone twice my age like a friend.

Also a girl that was there let me ride her ninja 250 in the parking lot. She thought how funny it was she let a total stranger ride her bike.

This is how I plan to get into a serious relationship with a girl because it's the only way I can ensure I find someone who is willing to do more than just go hiking or sight seeing. Also to ensure I get into a relationship where the motorcycle can exist, especially when kids happen. I see old couples in their 40-50s riding goldwings and it seems to keep the relationship healthy and interesting.
I think you're way overthinking it. If you have a shared interest in something, than you've got something to talk about, regardless of anything else going on in your lives. If you were into stamp collecting and went to a stamp collecting convention, you'd probably find that you get along very well there as well.

Planning to find a serious relationship with a girl you meet at a bike night probably ranks pretty high on the bad relationship ideas list.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
planning on finding a serious relationship anywhere and thusly limiting yourself to that is a pretty abd idea in general.

Reactions: PCHbreeze

·
Skid Mark
1,294 Posts
it's just as much a crap-shoot trying to find a girl that rides as it is to just find a girl you can do anything else with. my wife always told me that it was her or a bike; my choice. when i came home with one, she changed her tune.

she went from totally against it, to being ok with me riding, to wanting to ride on the back, to wanting to ride it, to wanting one of her own, to not having much interest in riding anymore. now, she doesn't really think about it at all.

as far as sport bike social life? i see my riding friends at the track. i avoid bike nights and other "rider gatherings" like the plague; to me, that's not what riding's about.

s3aturnr

Reactions: PCHbreeze

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you plan to get into a relationship by biking, you gotta get into a MC. That way, all the ladies will get to see you rockin a sweet club vest. Nothing gets em hot like a vest. It proves that you can pay dues, AND that your torso is nice and warm. It's a good plan. Do it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
A motorcycle is simply what it is...a motorcycle. Not a status symbol and definitely not anything to brag "I'm the man" about. Some of the best/worst people I've met have been bikers. As far finding a mate who likes to ride, that's okay, but don't limit yourself. Suppose you find someone who rides but then later you decide you're done riding. Does that mean she has to stop riding also? Something to ponder about.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
As far as finding a mate, mother nature (God, Allah, Gia, whatever) will do the work if you let her. You'll know it's the one when she tears your clothes off and you start going at it like sex-starved weasels. You Will not be able to stop.
Here is a nice little tune about a girl who has to break up over her cell phone because every time she tries face to face they end up in the beast with two backs position;

You can fight mother nature but you will never win.:gavel

The part the motorcycle plays in this is getting you around so that ol' momma N. can run more suitable subjects past your visual receptors.
That is why Flossies have replaced T-backs.:curtsey

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
As far as finding a mate, mother nature (God, Allah, Gia, whatever) will do the work if you let her. You'll know it's the one when she tears your clothes off and you start going at it like sex-starved weasels. You Will not be able to stop.
Here is a nice little tune about a girl who has to break up over her cell phone because every time she tries face to face they end up in the beast with two backs position;
Andy Moor feat. Lianne Brookson - No more (Eelke Kleijn Remix) - YouTube

You can fight mother nature but you will never win.:gavel

The part the motorcycle plays in this is getting you around so that ol' momma N. can run more suitable subjects past your visual receptors.
That is why Flossies have replaced T-backs.:curtsey
Jumping Jesus H Christ on a pogo stick. :facepalm

·
Registered
329 Posts
Motorcycling in general is a great venue for many things.
I made a best friend (several best friends actually) and met my wife thru motorcycling.
Like any other venue there is good, bad and indifferent and it's up to you to sort thru the flotsam and the jetsam for what you need.
I've been in it over 40 years now (Yes...I AM that old) and have seen a lot.
Street riding, track days, project bikes, lots of ways to skin that cat!

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you plan to get into a relationship by biking, you gotta get into a MC. That way, all the ladies will get to see you rockin a sweet club vest. Nothing gets em hot like a vest. It proves that you can pay dues, AND that your torso is nice and warm. It's a good plan. Do it.
Don't forget the patches and the pins!
Gotta have the patches and the pins!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I wouldn't advise *looking* for a relationship at all - but if you are interested in meeting new people to expand your social circle, a shared passion is a great place to start. I have a few friends who ride, that I would have otherwise never met. (This includes my S.O. who, as fate would have it, is a far better rider than I.)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts