Sport Bikes banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Honestly I would ride safer on a 1000 than I do my 600. 600s are very fast but because of the torque curve and gearing, the only way to tap into the speed is to.. well... speed lol. The power doesn't start until you're over 50 and then only in first. On more torquey bikes though I tend to get my thrills at lower speeds. That said, a liter bike has much more ability to break traction and that is definitely a risk to think about.
Thanks for your input man.

You know what's funny is the first motorcycle I owned was a trade I did for my car. I never rode it but up and down the driveway. I was way too intimidated by it. It was a GSXR 1000. The throttle was SO sensitive, you just barely touched it and it would take off.

At that point, I hadn't taken the MSF course yet because my parents didn't want me to get on a bike. So I was trying to respect their wishes.

But like two months later, I took the MSF course and got my 250. I couldn't wait any longer.

After riding the 250 as a daily, I went to my friends house one day. He had a GSXR 750. I rode it around the block and the throttle response wasn't much more than the 250. The transition was easy.

The 1000 even sounded intimidating, haha. It had a full exhaust on it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I wouldn't be worried about the engine blowing up or anything but hesitate on higher mileage unless I've put them on(or depending on knowing previous owner)
Every part on the bike has the same mileage and is that much closer to the end of it's service life.Something to keep in mind anyway.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
May have to dip into my bike funds. I have a 12 valve diesel pickup, and it has an air leak in the fuel system.

Unless I can fix it in the driveway, I'm gonna have to bring it to the shop.

:bangdesk

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I think that 35,000 mile number might have applied to air-cooled bikes from the sixties and seventies but with water cooling, better machining and tighter tolerances that number no longer applies.
My old aircooled lump has around 90 000miles hasn't been rebuilt.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Mechanical pump or CRDI?
Its a mechanical P7100 pump.

Man I have been too sick lately to even work on it, so its still sitting in the driveway, and I'm putting all the miles on my car, that is sposed to be for weekends only.

I did some reading at the Cummins forum and I think I'm in the right direction where to look. Lift pump area, and tank area, and fuel lines.

Post lift pump would have a fuel leak from what I read.

I think its a pretty big air leak, but I'll have to wait till I feel better to get started on it. :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
As a mechanic I insist on a leak down test, which will tell you the condition of the motor if they don't want to allow you to be present when they do it. they really don't want to sell a bike. with things being tight you don't want to spend 3-6k and find out later you got a lemon. this will allow you to get a manual for that bike and find out the cylinder pressures as a parameter to judge from. I bought a cbr 900rr 96, a deal I couldn't refuse, before i bought it I checked the cylinders, for a bike with that old they were in decent numbers I think I have them written down and will post them when I get to the notebook, I did a valve job on it anyway it ran great. Take a friend who may have some insight on these things if you are a new guy to the sport it can save you a headache

41 - 48 of 48 Posts