21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I think that 35,000 mile number might have applied to air-cooled bikes from the sixties and seventies but with water cooling, better machining and tighter tolerances that number no longer applies.

Reactions: Brock

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
While bikes can go the distance I wouldn't buy a sport bike with that many miles on it unless I was damn good and certain it hadn't been abused.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I've got 74xxx on my 2003 F4i with little more than oil changes, chains, and tires. I haven't even checked my valves and I've had the bike since 42k. My buddy was the previous owner and he got it at 18k.

·
They call me a ride whore
1,387 Posts
There are two others with 6 figure machines, mine is the only one that hasn't had a motor rebuild.....but its got half (or a 1/3) of the mileage of the other two......off the top of my head.

Eitherway, considering that its a 15 year old bike, that is only 10,000 a year, it WAS my primary transportation for 8-9 years or so.
Mine hasn't been rebuilt either..... internal wise it's still all original. 287k now and going strong! :banana

To the OP.... if you get an F4i, you pretty much don't have to worry about mileage, as they're more or less indestructible, lol..... seriously they'll run foorrreeeeevvvvver

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Mine hasn't been rebuilt either..... internal wise it's still all original. 287k now and going strong! :banana

To the OP.... if you get an F4i, you pretty much don't have to worry about mileage, as they're more or less indestructible, lol..... seriously they'll run foorrreeeeevvvvver
Thanks for the advice. After reading through your build thread, I am pretty sure my next bike is gonna be an F4I.

I thoroughly enjoyed your build thread. Thanks for sharing it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I think that 35,000 mile number might have applied to air-cooled bikes from the sixties and seventies but with water cooling, better machining and tighter tolerances that number no longer applies.
While bikes can go the distance I wouldn't buy a sport bike with that many miles on it unless I was damn good and certain it hadn't been abused.
I've got 74xxx on my 2003 F4i with little more than oil changes, chains, and tires. I haven't even checked my valves and I've had the bike since 42k. My buddy was the previous owner and he got it at 18k.
Thanks guys, I'm feeling much better about wanting an F4I now!

Pretty sure that's my next bike. Just need to finish saving up the rest.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
So I think this would be my next question. If you find a nice F4I, 02-05 model with 30-40k on the clock.

In real nice shape, what's a good price?

What about in decent shape?

One I am looking at is around is an 04 with 38k on the clock, and they are asking 3k.

Another one is an 06 with I think 30k miles and 3800 asking price.

Don't quite have enough for either of those yet, so hopefully I can save through the holidays and pick one up early next year.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I don't know about prices, the market here is quite different, but I'd go for the one that looks better and it also would depend on how I feel about the previous owner. Everybody lies when it is time to sell a bike, if the seller says "I just did X, Y and Z maintenance to put it for sale", he is lying, unless there is proof of it.

And honestly, I rather buy a bike with more miles, that has been maintained well, than a bike with lower miles that has been neglected. The former was kept in running condition, the later... Who the hell knows.

·
Rider
101 Posts
My current 02 GS500 has over 100k miles on it now and it's air cooled engine was designed in the late 70's. I would expect a modern liquid cooled mc engine to go a lot further if properly maintained. Also had a 81 CM400 twin that went over 100k miles. My air cooled 80's Honda fours didn't do as well though.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
So I think this would be my next question. If you find a nice F4I, 02-05 model with 30-40k on the clock.

In real nice shape, what's a good price?

What about in decent shape?

One I am looking at is around is an 04 with 38k on the clock, and they are asking 3k.

Another one is an 06 with I think 30k miles and 3800 asking price.

Don't quite have enough for either of those yet, so hopefully I can save through the holidays and pick one up early next year.
Going to depend on the market. Out here in California you've still got people asking 5k for a pristine F4i with less than 10k on it. I've seen them 20k+ miles for 3k, and 20k+ miles for 2k. Depends on the condition of the bike and how quickly they want to get rid of it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Going to depend on the market. Out here in California you've still got people asking 5k for a pristine F4i with less than 10k on it. I've seen them 20k+ miles for 3k, and 20k+ miles for 2k. Depends on the condition of the bike and how quickly they want to get rid of it.
That makes sense man, thanks for the input.

I'll keep my eyes open, and see what's out there.

Hopefully with winter here, bikes will be generally cheaper as opposed to right before summer starts.

·
Registered
743 Posts
First bike I would aim under 20k just because you don't know what you're looking at. After owning and working on a bike you can pretty well tell the condition with a 5 minute test drive and look over. Stuff like are the front forks empty... is the chain kinked, are the engine covers epoxied together, has the chain been munching the swingarm, is the back sprocket the size of a medium pizza, etc...

·
Registered
8 Posts
OP... I'd kinda like to know what shop told you that 35k is the limit for a modern sport bike engine. The guy clearly doesn't know what he is talking about and I would not want him working on my bike.

Back in the day, when I was still in the Navy, I didn't own a car. All I had was my '87 Honda 600 Hurricane which I bought new. I put 45k on that bike in 3 years before trading it on a CBR1000F when it debuted in 1990. I put 60k on it before selling it to fund my last semester in college back in 1995.

I think there is plenty of evidence to debunk that shop monkey you spoke to.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
OP... I'd kinda like to know what shop told you that 35k is the limit for a modern sport bike engine. The guy clearly doesn't know what he is talking about and I would not want him working on my bike.

Back in the day, when I was still in the Navy, I didn't own a car. All I had was my '87 Honda 600 Hurricane which I bought new. I put 45k on that bike in 3 years before trading it on a CBR1000F when it debuted in 1990. I put 60k on it before selling it to fund my last semester in college back in 1995.

I think there is plenty of evidence to debunk that shop monkey you spoke to.
It is a local performance bike shop in town. I had dropped my truck off to get a new tail gate, and wanted to go see if they had stock bikes for sale. I went in the store and talked to someone who worked there, and we ended up on the subject of what I was looking for. I said I found a couple bikes with 30k miles. The guy told me it was a ticking time bomb.

He also told me that since I had a 250 for my first bike I could upgrade to a 1,000.

I guess everyone has their take on riding.

I'm not comfortable going up to a liter bike yet.

I had kinda thought that the sportbike motors lasted longer than 20k miles and such, but wanted to hear everyone's input.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, I did not mean to imply that a 1000 is proper for you anyway. That is a choice you must make based on your needs and skill level. Well, and budget as well.

After my 1000F, my next bike was a CBR900RR. Then I went a couple of years without a bike when I first started a family. Now, I am riding a 2008 Suzuki GSX-650F. I love it. It is a much more upright riding position than a GSXR, has plenty of power to get me in trouble and handles very well.

I am ashamed to admit this, but I have had this bike for almost 4 years now (it will be 4 years in March) and I have only put 11k on it. With 3 kids and a demanding job, I just don't ride as much as I used to.

I am, however, looking at a new Ducati Diavel. I don't need the extra power or performance. But, I LOVE the way it looks. Just gotta convince the Missus...

Good luck on finding your next ride!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Well, I did not mean to imply that a 1000 is proper for you anyway. That is a choice you must make based on your needs and skill level. Well, and budget as well.

After my 1000F, my next bike was a CBR900RR. Then I went a couple of years without a bike when I first started a family. Now, I am riding a 2008 Suzuki GSX-650F. I love it. It is a much more upright riding position than a GSXR, has plenty of power to get me in trouble and handles very well.

I am ashamed to admit this, but I have had this bike for almost 4 years now (it will be 4 years in March) and I have only put 11k on it. With 3 kids and a demanding job, I just don't ride as much as I used to.

I am, however, looking at a new Ducati Diavel. I don't need the extra power or performance. But, I LOVE the way it looks. Just gotta convince the Missus...

Good luck on finding your next ride!
Thanks man.

Haha to be honest man, I could get another 250 and not even be upset about it.

But I want something faster. I wanted to build a project car, for the track and the street, but I don't have the extra cash right now to dump into a project. I would need about 10k to get it where I want it.

Plus I miss riding really bad. Every time I hear or see a bike pass me I get kinda bummed because I don't have a bike. Haha

·
Registered
743 Posts
Honestly I would ride safer on a 1000 than I do my 600. 600s are very fast but because of the torque curve and gearing, the only way to tap into the speed is to.. well... speed lol. The power doesn't start until you're over 50 and then only in first. On more torquey bikes though I tend to get my thrills at lower speeds. That said, a liter bike has much more ability to break traction and that is definitely a risk to think about.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts