Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was just at a performance bike shop, and I stopped in to see if they sell stock bikes. FINALLY, I'm able to be in the market for another bike.

The guy there recommended to me that I not buy a bike with over 20k miles. He said 35k is about the life span.

I found two F4I's that look really nice, but they both have over 30k on the clock. One is 3800 and the other one I forgot.

I'm not ready to buy JUST yet, I need to save a little more, but just wanted to get an idea of what I'm looking at.

So what are your opinions?

Also, I went into the search bar and couldn't find anything on this. I'm sure there is, but I just didn't see it.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
My Speed Triple has 115,000(ish) miles on it. I had 20,000 on it when I bought the thing in 2002.

Reactions: Brock

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
It all depends on how it was taken care of. Look at other stuff on the owners property, is his garage tidy, house well maintained, cars not beat to shit. Test his knowledge on maintainance, don't ask "when did you check the valves?" Ask "what needs done besides oil changes?"

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
35,000 life span? You could PROBABLY get more miles out of a barely maintained bike... Properly maintained modern bikes go 100,000 miles and up...easily.

Maybe he meant most sport bikes don't make it to 35,000 miles because some obnoxious :gsxr squid has already rolled it down the interstate or wrapped it around a telephone pole before they roll over that many miles? (A quarter of that, really.)

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I know bike engines that have lasted longer than truck engines. . .

Reactions: Brock

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for your responses.

I was kinda thinking, and hoping at the same time, the answer was gonna be broad and have a bunch of variables.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My Speed Triple has 115,000(ish) miles on it. I had 20,000 on it when I bought the thing in 2002.
That's impressive man. I THOUGHT I had seen a member on here with over 100k on one of their bikes!

It all depends on how it was taken care of. Look at other stuff on the owners property, is his garage tidy, house well maintained, cars not beat to shit. Test his knowledge on maintainance, don't ask "when did you check the valves?" Ask "what needs done besides oil changes?"
Thanks a lot man, I'm gonna do this when I'm ready to buy.

I'm guessing if I ask and the valve adjustment doesn't come up I should walk away?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
That's impressive man. I THOUGHT I had seen a member on here with over 100k on one of their bikes!

Thanks a lot man, I'm gonna do this when I'm ready to buy.

I'm guessing if I ask and the valve adjustment doesn't come up I should walk away?
Someone on here has an f4i with over 250k miles on it. I wouldn't buy a bike with over 25k miles and no valve check. Most bikes need them every what, 10-15k? At the same time some bikes go 50k and never need a valve adjustment, so it might be a worthwhile risk if you find a really good deal.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
yamaha's are supposed to be checked around 25K and I've yet to see any need adjustment at that point. The only reason not to buy a bike with 25k+ is cause there's tons out there with alot less. It's still pretty low miles.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
There are two others with 6 figure machines, mine is the only one that hasn't had a motor rebuild.....but its got half (or a 1/3) of the mileage of the other two......off the top of my head.

Eitherway, considering that its a 15 year old bike, that is only 10,000 a year, it WAS my primary transportation for 8-9 years or so.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Really glad to here that there are higher mileage bikes on the road.

I'm gonna keep checking for a nice F4I. There is a nice yellow Katana on Cl right now, but by the time I have enough money, it will probably be sold.

I thought about a ninja 6r or gsxr 600, but those might be a little too aggressive.

I also need to finish my gear setup. Whatever bike I get, I'm only gonna ride and practice in the neighborhood until I have gear from head to toe. I need to order pants and boots. And I think I'm gonna upgrade the armor on my jacket.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
If you need gear I can get you good prices from AXO (compared to msrp anyway)

·
Registered
495 Posts
If someone buys a sport bike, does ZERO maintenance to it, just to run it until it grenades, then perhaps the 35k mile figure has merit.

Perform the oil changes, valve adjustments, and all the recommended maintenance, and today's modern engines should give near 200k.

Not from the sport bike world, I have bought and sold over 50 Goldwings, and guys from that space don't even blink at 100K miles. They do get quite a bit less expensive at around 80K miles. I know of two riders that have > 300K miles on their original engine.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Philb has over 250 on his m900 as I recall it also.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
My '99 ZX6R is 15 y/o with 223,727 miles on it with no problems with it at all. It depends on how well you maintain it. I think the only thing I've replaced besides maintenance items is the radiator......I took a rock in it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts