Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning. Been a while since I been on here but I've been talking things over with my wife and decided it's time for me to go back to the sport bike arena and sell my M109r. I looked at a couple bikes and rode a few but fell in love with only 2 and finding it hard to decide between both. My choices are the 2013 ZX14 and the 2013 CBR1000rr. Both are amazing bikes and have the looks that deserves a double take. I understand that many that buy the ZX14 is looking to try to prove a point with so much power just like the busa, and the CBR have a great reputation for reliability (so I been told). Both felt fairly comfortable to me and I feel that both would suit my purpose of using for cruises around town, down the coastline and occassional driving to work. Any of you own these or have any input on them? Just looking for inputs that could help push me towards one of these.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Hello. Both of them are great bikes, but I think for your stated purposes, the 14 would work better for you. It's a bit more relaxed and comfortable for cruising and commuting where the CBR is a bit more committed and better suited for hard sport riding. If you were looking to carve up canyons then I'd say go CBR.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I'd check insurance before you make up your mind. I'm assuming it's pretty high in florida being that there are more motorcycle deaths in the state than any other

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have checked with insurance and both are affordable for me (if there's such a word for a sport bike lol). I have tried canyon carving but I dont think I would be up for the task on a regular basis. I might have the urge to try it from time to time but not like some of the speed freaks i once hung out with. The motorcycle death issue is a biggie here. Since my short time living here in Jacksonville, I've seen more accidents here involving bikes than i have living in Tennesse, Germany, and Kentucky combined. I think it have a lot to do with flat straight roads. Alot of folks cant handle sharp bends i guess lol. I have no clue what the cause of them are but this place do have more motorcycle accidents than anywhere i can think of.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
You'd be fine with the ZX14 then. You may even like the concours (It's like the touring version of the ZX14.) I'd also check out the new VFR800/Interceptor if I were you. It's down on power compared to the CBR and ZX/Connie but it's a damn fine riding motorcycle. Great for touring and commuting.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
:majoreact

The 2013 is a ZX-14R

They're 2 different, but similar, bikes!

That said, any of the 'do-it-alls' would fit you. (VFR, Ninja 1000, ZX-14(R), etc etc) The CBR1000RR (or any race rep) on FL straight roads (with no track days) is a crime against those bikes and the supersport tires that the people like to put on them...IMO.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:majoreact

The 2013 is a ZX-14R

They're 2 different, but similar, bikes!

That said, any of the 'do-it-alls' would fit you. (VFR, Ninja 1000, ZX-14(R), etc etc) The CBR1000RR (or any race rep) on FL straight roads (with no track days) is a crime against those bikes and the supersport tires that the people like to put on them...IMO.
Really, we're gonna get this anal? I'm sure everyone knew exactly what I meant and yes I know what I meant as well. let it be.

·
Registered
10,734 Posts
Also, it sounds like you may want to consider sport touring tires that hold up bit better in commuter/urban riding where the most lean you get is the occasional clover leaf on-ramp.

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
I have a CBR 1000 and have nothing but positive things to say about it. However, for everything you mentioned in post #1 (lots of commuting), I'd go with the 14.

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
Of the two bikes the 14 would be the obvious choice for me. Based on your riding requirements I'd say it's the best choice for you to. I know both feel fairly comfortable at this point, but if you're going to be spending much seat time doing your coastal rides, you will end up appreciating the extra comfort of the ZX.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the comments everyone. I talked it over with the wife and this weekend we will be heading out once more to check them both out. I do like the points you all made on these choices and now i'm leaning more towards the ZX14R (I added the R for those that believe I made a fatal mistake). Will keep you all updated on this.

·
Registered
743 Posts
The 14 is massively powerful but it doesn't really have a manhood extender reputation (just look at the replies here). People tend to think of it as more of a sensible laid back sport bike with lots of torque, more comfort, lazier handling, and it just so happens to bend physics in a straight line. If anything, 1000 race replicas have more of that image.

·
Banned
4,497 Posts
No doubt, for your stated purpose the 14 would work better. I have spent time on both bikes, and the 14 is simply more versatile.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts