Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a 2008 Special Edition Eclipse back in June. Its a GOOD car just not a GREAT car. It has the upgraded suspension but its 165HP. My last car was a 300hp mustang gt. I loved everything about it except the awful MPG. I mainly do city driving now.

I was looking at the WRX STi and its 300HP and AWD but....IDK. I've never owned one or drove one. Also if the BRZ gets a good STI version with more power that could be an option.

I feel like options for cars is a lot less for me now than when I was 16 and every company had a good selection.

:dinorun

If I get a take home vehicle this fall (work) I think I wont care about MPG. I love Mustangs and I love the 370Z. Just Dreamin' here.

·
Eskimo Bro
2,053 Posts
I'd personally stay away from STI's, they are so common that it detracts from actually owning one. Get something that not everyone has.

I've been jonesing for a different car lately too. Unfortunately, currently living in AK makes me not want to get anything nice and kills the dream all together.

When I move back to the lower 48, I really want an older NSX or maybe a new model Z.

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
I don't remember the last time I saw an STi newer than 2004-2005, and I live in the city. They don't do it for me without a hatchback option, and the current Forester XT lacks a manual... Sigh.

My current car has ~89HP to the wheels, 108HP at the crank, and that's enough to get me to 100MPH without trouble and scoots in and out of traffic nimbly. Also weighs 2400lbs. Power isn't always the answer.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well you live in a place that the AWD would be a dream to have, so people get it. I like the idea of AWD because the roads do get bad where I live. I just cant get into SUV's never have and probably never will. And a Jeep is just over priced IMO

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
then they are driving it like a shitwad.

</that topic>

Kirby, why not rest on your laurels a while, not buy anything, and a) save some money, b) enjoy the car you have that you wanted a fair bit from what I recall, and c) not get something else that'll cost more money.

while I like the Scooby, and seriously doubt they just pop motors because fuck you (and besides, my anecdotal evidence disagrees with NCRs), it's still a high maintenance, terrible fuel mileage car.

Reactions: 06r6raven

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
If you look, you can probably find a 2012 Mazdaspeed3 that hasn't sold yet. There have been several people that have gotten them fully loaded (tech package and all) out the door for like $22k. 263 crank hp from the factory and can do 300 at the wheels with bolt ons and a tune. It's fwd so it will never launch but everyone says the torque steer isn't bad and makes it kind of fun. You'll also get mid 20's combined mpg if you don't drive like an asshat everywhere.

I don't know your budget but you could probably get a certified pre-owned 135i for under $30k. That's a very nice car. Very tuneable.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
One of my best friends had his STi blow a hole in the block last year randomly while driving on the highway coming back from a ski trip. Only mod he had was an exhaust.

They're really popular cars here so I know lots of people who've had them, many drive like total dickwads, some drive normal, some have lots of mods, some are stock. All have had engine problems.

My sister had a Forester where the wheels rusted out and body panels completely rusted through, neither of which they covered under warranty. I've enjoyed driving them, and I really like the Outback, but after seeing all these issues, I'd never buy one.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
I’ve tried liking subarus so many times. I have test driven new and used WRX’s and the most recent impreza. I really want to like them. I really do. On paper they are the perfect car for me, they just feel so shitty. The standard 2013 impreza was going to be the car for the wife. Literally the shortest test drive I have ever taken. Less than a mile, my wife started and drove a few blocks pulled over and told me to drive. I went two more blocks before pulling a u-turn and taking it back. The car really had an uphill battle though, I hated the interior so much I didn’t want to even take it out.

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
i don't know. the engine just had an unrefined feel and an unwillingness to rev (lacked torque too) that i just couldn't stand. also we wanted leather seats (dog sheds) and couldn't get those with a manual transmission, the 'limited' is only available with a CVT. and since this was supposed to be daily driver / commuter i didn't want to deal with the lower fuel economy of a WRX.

·
Skid Mark
1,294 Posts
i have a 2013 wrx that i bought a year ago and it's been a great car. not sure if it's the right car for everyone, but i've really enjoyed it...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
i don't know. the engine just had an unrefined feel and an unwillingness to rev (lacked torque too) that i just couldn't stand. also we wanted leather seats (dog sheds) and couldn't get those with a manual transmission, the 'limited' is only available with a CVT. and since this was supposed to be daily driver / commuter i didn't want to deal with the lower fuel economy of a WRX.
So you essentially looked at a WRX. . . when you did not want a WRX.

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
So you essentially looked at a WRX. . . when you did not want a WRX.
the standard gets ~10 mpg better and it would have still been cheaper than a wrx w/ leather. i have a fun car, i was looking for a commuter. but yes, if i wanted a subaru with leather and a stick i would have had to buy a loaded wrx

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
the standard gets ~10 mpg better and it would have still been cheaper than a wrx w/ leather. i have a fun car, i was looking for a commuter. but yes, if i wanted a subaru with leather and a stick i would have had to buy a loaded wrx
But you don't go buy a WRX as a commuter. . .

Seriously.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts