Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Professional Cat Herder
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine will be here today. Any of you guys received and installed one yet. I checked the info for installation on an R6 at their website. I'm assuming it's the same for the FZ6? I'm going by my GPS so I used their on line calculator and it appears to be straight forward. Yes?

·
Registered
149 Posts
It is not that tough ... need to do some soldering and run one wire (not supplied) took me about 2 hours start to finish ... I was in no rush

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Can one of you guys figure out what the offset is between the speedo and the odometer? The speedohealer website mentions it here (link won't take you right to question 16, but that's the one):

http://www.speedohealer.com/eng/faq.htm#16

Someone mentioned their odometer being off, too, but I'm curious if it's common and by how much.

Thanks,
Anthony

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
The odometer is off the same amount as the speedometer is. They both use the same data. Well take mine for example My bike says im doing 74mph. I checked this with my car and found i was only going 65mph. At 65mph on the bike my car says im actually doing 59. This says that my bike is off by about 10.5 percent averaging them together. So in fact out of my 3,200 miles so far, about 336 miles are on there that i didnt ride!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
They both use the same data source, but don't have to process them exactly the same. The speedohealer site claims that most production odometers are usually pretty close, while the speedometer is intentionally inaccurate. In that case, you can fix the speedometer with the speedohealer, but then the odometer will be inaccurate.

So, did you check both?

Thanks,
Anthony

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
It was my understanding that the speedo and the odo were separate because of resale and such. I can't remember where I saw this but it also only pertained to certain bikes. Certain newer bikes so it's safe to assume our FZ6 is a newer bike.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I got one but have not had the time to install it.
Anybody with pictures of their installation?

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
I just got my speedohealer today in the mail. I gotta install tomorrow. I think first im gonna check to make sure what the difference is between actual and reported mph and miles on the odometer. Ill post my findings and installation if my camera decides to work.( I dropped it and the battery fell out. Its on the charger right now.)

·
Professional Cat Herder
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally installed it under the seat and ran a temporary hot to the battery to test and program it. It's getting dark so I'll figure out tomorrow where I'm going to splice power... Any suggestions?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was doing "80" on the interstate and i reset the trip odometer from mile marker to mile marker. my odometer clicked over to one mile at the end marker while my speedometer was off. this proves that the speedometer reading gets different info than the odometer does

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
talzawd said:
I was doing "80" on the interstate and i reset the trip odometer from mile marker to mile marker. my odometer clicked over to one mile at the end marker while my speedometer was off. this proves that the speedometer reading gets different info than the odometer does
I'd be curious to see that after the speedohealer corrects your '80' to 72-ish, if the mile marker and your odo are still in synch.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
From reading their page, I doubt they will be:

---
21. Will the SH calibrate both my speedo and odometer?

Yes, but it is not possible to calibrate them separately, as one speed signal drives both the speedometer and the odometer.

You can get 100% accurate speedometer AND 100% accurate odometer only on those bikes, which have zero "speedo-to-odo" error ratio built-in (e.g. Yamaha FJR1300).

On most bikes, if the speedo is calibrated to be 100% accurate, the odo will register slightly less miles. While this can be annoying in certain situations, one can always calculate the real distance easily after a long trip.

Alternatively, of course, you can get the factory default indication regardless of the used sprocket ratio: accurate odometer and slightly more indicated speed.

With our on-line calculator, you can optimize the calibration value easily for either speedo or odo.
---

Anthony

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Just installed mine....pretty simple with a little hot wire help from my Dad. I just need to set it. Has anyone found an easy way to set it?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I tried to calibrate my speedo by finding the % my bike is off and am coming up with some crazy off % numbers. I tried to check the odo versus time to get the real world value and then get the % my indicated value was off versus the real world value. I've been getting numbers ranging from 7.2% off to 13.9% off. Those percentages are taken from different speeds and different time variables. I even got a number 4.2% off but that was a very low speed so not very accurate. What a pain in the ass.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts