Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that the speedo is off and that you can remedy this with the Speedohealer or GPS.

My question is why is the speedo off in the first place? It seems to me that it's fairly simple math to calculate the speed relative to gears and tire diameter and have it correct. For something to be off by 11% or more straight from the factory is just bad manufacturing.

Don't get me wrong, I love my FZ. But that little quirk drives me crazy.

Could this have been done intentionally to slow riders down? Is there another reason????

Bill....

·
Registered
111 Posts
From what I've read, it's illegal for you to have your speedo read less then what your actual speed is. I guess because of lawsuits, companies make sure that the speedo is reading more than your actual speed so that in the case of an accident, they can't be held liable as a mitigating factor.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I think it's that way on most, if not all, motorcycles. My DL650 speedo is off by quite a bit, so I don't think it's unique to the FZ6.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mine was off by 10%, so I got a speedohealer to fix it. My friend has a SV1000 and his is the same way. When his speedo was reading 85, mine w/speedohealer was reading 77. Also, mine was 10% across the board, so the faster you go, the more the difference. I got my speedohealer for $100 so I didn't have to do the math in my head to figure out how fast I was going. I set mine to a -9.5% so that my actual difference is .5%. If you are fine with knowing there is a difference then save the 100 bucks for something else.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
It's more or less to prevent lawsuits against the manufacturer. If the speedo reads slow, people are going to sue the company because they THOUGHT they weren't speeding. So to err on the side of caution, they set it up to read higher than your actual speed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, has anyone ever talked with Yamaha about re-calibration, or do you have to go with a Speedohealer?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts