Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 SV650S, 700 miles, stock sprocket and new tires.
Speedo shows 10 mph SLOWER then any other vehicle. Pace it with other bikes, -10, pace it with a Dodge truck, -10.
And the Stealer-ship says "That's within legal limits and all bikes are off.. BS!!!!!

Paced it with a BMW 1100, 2 - Yamahas FZ1's, a Yamaha FZ6, a Suzuki GSR, and a Harley.. All bikes said 60 mph, the 650 said 50.

To me this is BS!!! You're telling me they can't get it any closer then that? So what else is "close enough"? Wish I would have known this before I bought the bike!!!

ANd I thought the Stealer-ship was better then others, had actually heard good things about them, guess not, what crap, I guess all shops are the same. :pisson

Anyone have similar or different experiences?

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
I can assure you, this is not typical of SV's at 60 mph. Every rag I've read said at 60, the speedo was only 1mph high...NOT 10 low.

Gearing on the 650 has nothing to do with speedo either, as the speed sensor is located on the left side of the front wheel. Does the bike have a stock size tire on the front (120/60/17)?

If everything is good, and your dealer won't help you, go to a different dealer. 10 mph off is NOT acceptable at 60mph (mine reads very optimistic at 130, but at 60 it's dead on). If no one will fix it, call Suzuki corp.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I tested my SV speedo with a GPS unit last week.
60mph on the speedometer showed 56 on the GPS, and 70 was 65 on the GPS. It seems the faster you go the less accurate it got. At 25mph the difference was only 2mph slower on the GPS.

·
Registered
344 Posts
my sv650s is pretty darn close to the speed limit it says, its maybe 1 or 2 mph off but thats about it. at higher speeds its tends to be off a little bit more.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
TOPGUN$%^: said:
There is usually up to a 10% speedo error on most modern day sports bikes, especially on suzuki's.
Yes, but normally it's not that high at 60 mph. As I said, mine is dead on at 60.

Now at 120, it's WAY off... Per what the traps at the dragstrip say, I'm running ~108 when 120 is indicated.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
If the speedo is off, it will be a percentage. If 60 indicated is really 55, then 120 indicated will be 110. I've never heard of a bike speedo reading low either. I second the tire size question. A larger diameter profile 120/70/17 will be almost 17% off (read lower) than a stock 120/60/17 since the sensor is on the front wheel.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hmm, I was going to suggest the Yellow box, but it sounds like the SV's have a direct line to the front?

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
RayOSV said:
If the speedo is off, it will be a percentage. If 60 indicated is really 55, then 120 indicated will be 110. I've never heard of a bike speedo reading low either.
But it's also possible for a speedo to be dead acurate at one part in the range, and way off in another.

ex: I verified mine with one of those radar sign/trailer deals. My speedo said 60, sign said 60. Trapped speed at the drags was 107.xx, speedo said 120. Mine speedo is also progressively off. It's not 10 percent throughout the range. Starts at around 5 percent, then goes to around 10 percent off (varies with speed....at 75, it's roughly 5 percent, 120 is 10 percent....don't know how much it is off at higher speeds).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts