Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok....well it's obvious from an earlier post I saw (b4 the board crashed) that there is some error in the speedo reading. I had my wife follow me and I signaled her at various speeds, and it looks like about a 10% error (speedo reads too high). Is there a way to correct this? While it's nice to have a "margin of safety" from getting a speeding ticket, it's also darn near unsafe to be travelling slower than the limit/other traffic (especially here in California).

So - any way to change the speedo reading? Also - does this impact the odo too? I had a BMW Z3 that had about a 6% error in the speedo, but was right on for the odo.

Thanx for the help....

Bruce in Redding, CA

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
if you change your sporkets this will cause it to read wrong

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think this missreading is rather common for both cars and mc's.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I purchased a Speedo-Healer (around $90) that allows you to program in a correction percentage and it adjusts on the fly ... after install I put in 10% reduction adn thought I would adjust from there ... I notice now that it is much easier to ride with the flow of traffic and indicated speeds are much closer. I still want to find one of those roadside radar sites and tweak it a little closer.
I know $90 seems like a bunch, but a speeding ticket is $75+ and I feel better knowing what I am actually running.

·
Registered
49 Posts
http://www.speedohealer.com

Try the link above, they make a product that will correct the speedo. I plan to pick one up some time.

Sport bikes always seem to be off but the odometer is usually pretty close.

New cars are very, very accurate for the most part. I checked my FZ against my wifes 2003 Tahoe

Bike Tahoe
65 === 59
71 === 65

Of course it will get off more the faster taht you go.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
nogoshowboat said:
I purchased a Speedo-Healer (around $90) that allows you to program in a correction percentage and it adjusts on the fly ... after install I put in 10% reduction adn thought I would adjust from there ... I notice now that it is much easier to ride with the flow of traffic and indicated speeds are much closer. I still want to find one of those roadside radar sites and tweak it a little closer.
I know $90 seems like a bunch, but a speeding ticket is $75+ and I feel better knowing what I am actually running.
How was the installation? They claim to have a Plug'N'Go kit for Yamahas....is that what you purchased? Was it easy to get the margin of error off your particular bike?

·
Registered
205 Posts
FZ6_Rider said:
Ok....well it's obvious from an earlier post I saw (b4 the board crashed) that there is some error in the speedo reading. I had my wife follow me and I signaled her at various speeds, and it looks like about a 10% error (speedo reads too high). Is there a way to correct this? While it's nice to have a "margin of safety" from getting a speeding ticket, it's also darn near unsafe to be travelling slower than the limit/other traffic (especially here in California).

So - any way to change the speedo reading? Also - does this impact the odo too? I had a BMW Z3 that had about a 6% error in the speedo, but was right on for the odo.

Thanx for the help....

Bruce in Redding, CA
Purchase an inexpensive GPS like the Garmin emap ($75 on Ebay) and you will not only be witin 1 mph + or - you will also know where you are going or where you have been, as it saves your tracks in it's memory.
They also show you where the services, hotels and gas station are, plus various other points of interest.

For a few hundred you could get a Garmin Colormap and be in color also.

That's what I have done on all of my bikes.

Skippy

·
Registered
41 Posts
virtualt said:
Purchase an inexpensive GPS like the Garmin emap ($75 on Ebay) and you will not only be witin 1 mph + or - you will also know where you are going or where you have been, as it saves your tracks in it's memory.
They also show you where the services, hotels and gas station are, plus various other points of interest.

For a few hundred you could get a Garmin Colormap and be in color also.

That's what I have done on all of my bikes.

Skippy
I like that idea....A GPS unit has all kinds of advantages. I own a Garmin unit already, just would need to figure out how to mount it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Wasp Rider said:
I like that idea....A GPS unit has all kinds of advantages. I own a Garmin unit already, just would need to figure out how to mount it.
Go to www.cyclegadgets.com they have motorcycle mounts for most GPS units. Also, get the hard wire kit for your gps and wire it direct to the bikes battery, no more AA's to find.

Skippy

·
Registered
149 Posts
ZeuSeason said:
How was the installation? They claim to have a Plug'N'Go kit for Yamahas....is that what you purchased? Was it easy to get the margin of error off your particular bike?
Not exactly plug and go, but I was done in less than one hour. You have to splice the power line, but the plug'n'go was slick. As for correction, I cleared the factory settings (blanked) then flipped one switch pushed a button one time and then flipped the switch back and I am done ... also has a dandy recall of fastest time if you wish (I have never needed to use mine, nogo is my name) :)

I am glad I bought it.

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
Conehead said:
http://www.speedohealer.com

Try the link above, they make a product that will correct the speedo. I plan to pick one up some time.

Sport bikes always seem to be off but the odometer is usually pretty close.

New cars are very, very accurate for the most part. I checked my FZ against my wifes 2003 Tahoe

Bike Tahoe
65 === 59
71 === 65

Of course it will get off more the faster taht you go.
I rated my fz6 with my buddie driving my 97 sable and it came out exactly the same.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have compared my speedo to multiple roadside radars and found it to be almost 14% off at 80 mph. I have no problem with a few mph but 14% is crazey. And I will be damned if I am going to spend $90 to fix something that came wrong from the factory. Has anyone got with their dealer on this issue. I think I will and keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree with you DLM, here's the thread I posted a few days ago: http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2158
I talked with my dealer today, he called Yamaha and said the the speedo could be off by up to 10%. If it's off by more than 10%, they will probably try to fix it if you compain about it. The dealer said that Yamaha told him the most accurate way to check it is by driving a constant speed on the highway and count the time it takes to pass between the mile markers then do the math. They said you can't rely on a car speedo because the car could be inaccurate too. I don't think we should have to pay to correct this problem but unless its way off, I don't think we'll win that one.

·
Helicopter Inspector
186 Posts
Thread revival!!!! I installed a speedo-healer when I did the 520 15/48 conversion and the speedometer is dead on accurate with radar with something like a 16.8% correction factor. My concern is that when I've filled up the past few times, my mileage has been in the low 30's, when before I couldn't get below 42 even if I tried. Now I know I've been getting on the throttle more aggressively lately, but a 10 mpg loss??? I've read that the factory speedometer reading is off by ~+7%, but the odometer reading is accurate from the factory. Is it possible that the Speedo-healer is over-correcting the number of miles traveled while its doing its job of fixing my speed reading? Or should I synch the throttle bodies (which were supposed to have been synched when the dealer did the TPS recall late last year) and possibly adjust the map I have loaded in the power commander?

·
Keep It Kosher
1,038 Posts
spader said:
Thread revival!!!! I installed a speedo-healer when I did the 520 15/48 conversion and the speedometer is dead on accurate with radar with something like a 16.8% correction factor. My concern is that when I've filled up the past few times, my mileage has been in the low 30's, when before I couldn't get below 42 even if I tried. Now I know I've been getting on the throttle more aggressively lately, but a 10 mpg loss??? I've read that the factory speedometer reading is off by ~+7%, but the odometer reading is accurate from the factory. Is it possible that the Speedo-healer is over-correcting the number of miles traveled while its doing its job of fixing my speed reading? Or should I synch the throttle bodies (which were supposed to have been synched when the dealer did the TPS recall late last year) and possibly adjust the map I have loaded in the power commander?
It is likely that your odometer is off now since you did the speedohealer. Even though the speedo was off from the factory, the odometer is usually pretty accurate. Unfortunately, they use the same signal lead, so correcting one also throws off the other. Thus lowering the speedo to the correct speed also decreases the odometer reading, thus making it count fewer miles than you are actually traveling, hence the low mpg calculation.

·
Registered
663 Posts

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
One thing to keep in mind with the speedohealer:

When you adjust to correct your speedo, it'll cause your odometer to be off.

Which is more important to you? Correct speedometer or correct odometer?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts