Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, took my bike to work for the first time this morning... all was great until I got off it and noticed a long black cable hanging by my front tire!

I freaked until I saw where it led up to...my speedometer.

Rode the bike and yup speedo doesn't work.

How do I fix it or how much does it cost? Thanks! :)

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
Did it actually break or just come unplugged under the instrument cluster? Its pretty strait forward to replace. My Gpz550 speedo cable for whatever reason would come undone every now and then and drag on the ground.. lol...

·
Registered
910 Posts
You buy a new cable, take the old one off, lube the ends of the the new one, and install it in place of the broken one. Last year or 2 years ago, I replaced the speedo cable on my 87 FZR 1000. Took a few minutes, cost $8.91.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm I don't know jack about bikes... but it doesn't look like it broke just like one end came off.

and that end is super oily

how do you hook it back up? I think I need to take off the fairing? :)

·
Registered
910 Posts
If it's just loosened, then reattach it where it came off. There is a small gear housing at the front wheel hub with a threaded collar that attaches the cable. Clean and lube the end. It the cable is broken or frayed, just buy a new one. You should learn how to do the basic maintenance and repairs.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will see where it is tomorrow, my bike is at work still

do I need to remove the fairing?

thank you!

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
If the cable is loose at the tire end why would need to remove any fairings?? Just put it in back inside the speedometer drive. It should have small square end on it that fits inside the hole in the speedo drive. You may have to fiddle with it a little bit to get it lined back up.. The tighten the collar back down good with a pair of pliers or channel locks, vice grips etc...

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ZXLNT said:
If the cable is loose at the tire end why would need to remove any fairings?? Just put it in back inside the speedometer drive. It should have small square end on it that fits inside the hole in the speedo drive. You may have to fiddle with it a little bit to get it lined back up.. The tighten the collar back down good with a pair of pliers or channel locks, vice grips etc...
where is this speedo drive located?

I wish I had gotten a good look at the speedo cable when it was attached but now I don't know where it goes...is it near the front brakes?

thanks! :)

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok I looked at another bike it's a cruiser but I think the speedo cable attaches the same way.... it looks very accessible.

thanks! :D

·
Ducati 696 Rider
332 Posts
ZXLNT said:
Thanks for the help! I just did a search to find this thread and I fixed my own broken speedometer! It just got disconnected from under the front fairing and just needed a good tightening.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts