Sport Bikes banner

141 - 160 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Since the same officer made the charge of reckless and he has already proved to be lying about the speed then how can you trust the officers testamony of the reckless? Once a liar then all words cannot be trusted and you are always a liar.
--No, I disagree here. I already said the speeding ticket would be dismissed, but I think the reckless (or some form of it) will stick. Many reasons:
--for one, the guy was speeding WAY over the limit. No way the judge is going to just let him walk.
--The publicity brought puts the judge on the spot. He has to do something to 'make an example' or at least show that such speeds will get you punished. If he let old dude walk, the impression would be that you can go really fast and get away by fighting it.
--There is probably going to be some ego at stake for the 'establishment'. And that ego is going to take a big ding when the cop is proven wrong about the speed by a large margin. I think they already know that they screwed up, and they know the speeding ticket was wrong. So I think that they'll be going aftr the other charges much more forcefully.
--Reckless is going to be easy to win on. The same math that will show he wasn't going 205 is going to show that he was still traveling godawful fast. The cop may have been off by 40mph, but he wasn't off by 140mph.

Just my sh1thouse lawyer analysis

·
Registered
457 Posts
yeah Speeding is speeding.. but as solly says.. going 160 mph and going 70 mph is a different story. Its quite obvious its harder to control a bike at 160 mph than it is at 70 mph.

·
Registered
12 Posts
MaxOwner said:
yeah Speeding is speeding.. but as solly says.. going 160 mph and going 70 mph is a different story. Its quite obvious its harder to control a bike at 160 mph than it is at 70 mph.
Don't be silly, the increased gyroscopic effect of the wheels at higher speeds makes the bike more stable then at slower speeds so its not harder to control, just harder to steer :) And lets remeber kids Speed does not kill, the fast stops do.

PS Racer X sucks! :alky

·
Registered
6 Posts
A little bit of information. I am sure everyone on this board is from around the country, but you should all check out www.floodrun.org This is the event I was on when I received my ticket. If at all possible I recommend anyone that can to attend this event next year. The turn-out this year was roughly 12,000 bikes. I know it is nothing like sturgis, but it was still a blast. Also, this year they raised money for the Gillette's Children Hospital.

By the way, I may have some very intresting news for you all tomorrow.

·
Registered
586 Posts
205mph said:
A little bit of information. I am sure everyone on this board is from around the country, but you should all check out www.floodrun.org This is the event I was on when I received my ticket. If at all possible I recommend anyone that can to attend this event next year. The turn-out this year was roughly 12,000 bikes. I know it is nothing like sturgis, but it was still a blast. Also, this year they raised money for the Gillette's Children Hospital.

I got pulled over by a cop in LaCrosse, Wisconsin this spring - for having the visor flipped up on my helmet and no sunglasses - and he thought I was on this "flood run" When he told me there were like 5k bikes there I didn't believe him. I completely forgot there was a fall run too. Oh well, I'll have to check it out in the spring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey man!

Just wanted to let you know you've got my support man. I've been ticketed twice my aerial patrol and the tickets are crap. One stuck in court and the other I had dropped. I've got a very nice traffic attorney that I could set you up with if interested.

I understand that its nearly impossible for you to go 205mph. But, in MN it doesn't matter whether your going 31mph over or 165mph over. It's the same ticket and the same penalty. As a matter of fact I just got ticketed tonight for speeding in my girlfriends Saturn. :lol I looked at the fine schedule and the ticket for 31mph+ is $215, the Careless is $165, and I believe the no license is $85. So, $465 worth of tickets (if they all stick) and a lawyer. Pretty penny to pay.

I have taken my Camaro to 169mph (limited by ecu) and my 2001 F4i to an indicated 170mph. This was all done on 35E in Burnsville.

Hit me up on AIM sometime man. My AIM name is JohnnyLS1Z28. If you are into the car scene Im the one with the sickest Camaro. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh yea. I don't want to come off as Billy Badass or anything, but we all mistakes. I modify my car and my bike to go fast. I know the risks if I were to dump. I only take serious chances if the roads are CLEAR. I have a need for speed and Im sure the rest of you do as well.

I can't believe all the hipocrits on this site. HE isn't the one that gave you riders a bad image, it was the media. He got cited a ticket for speeding and THEY blew it up. If this ticket was for 170mph it wouldn't even make the local news. Its the "200mph" barrier that got the media's panties in a bundle.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Speedzilla said:
The media has over reacted to an over inflated speeding ticket, and now we might be seeing the consequences.

When I owned my RC51, I was paying $700 a year for insurance. When I bought my FZ1, the same company quoted $2200 for the FZ1.

When I questioned the difference in quotes, the agent said he must have misquoted the RC51 and told me I should have been paying more.

So, where is this story going? I guess it is possible, that this news story maybe opened the eyes of an insurance company or just an insurance agent that may have categorized the RC51 wrong in the first place.

Insurance companies are strange. When I had my Ducati, I was with an inurance agency that didn't consider Ducatis as sportbikes because they had only two cylinders. Then when I got my RC51, the same company quoted me $4200 MORE than what I was paying on the Duc.

Rather than sell the RC51, that guy should shop around for new insurance.
From my understanding about the difference between all the Ducs,MV agusta,ect,ect,ect is that every year the insurance companies compile all the tickets, wrecks and so forth and taley up which models and brands have done what. For instance how many 21 year olds do you know are running around back roads on MV Agustas? Or Racing around town on Ducatis? Ok now how many Hondas,Gixxers,Yammies and Kaws do you see do the same thing? About 90% of the people who buy the expensive sportbikes like to keep them in great shape and baby the shit outta them or run them only on the tracks once a month. There for rates are much cheaper on them. LOL just think if you saw some dumbshit taking a rubber mallet to the gas tank of a MV Agusta F4 so he can go stunting with it. :lol

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
From my understanding about the difference between all the Ducs,MV agusta,ect,ect,ect is that every year the insurance companies compile all the tickets, wrecks and so forth and taley up which models and brands have done what
Insurance companies use things called 'symbols' to determine the premium. Some companies use a few whjile others use a hundred or more for each vehicle. Progressive uses the most symbols.
Symbols represent some aspect relating to you, the vehicle, etc. So for a male driver, there is a symbol, for a sport bike, there is a symbol, a symbol for the displacement catagory, theft report rate, wrecks, color of the bike (affects theft), location, your record, etc. The list is huge and it's all plugged into a mathmatical formula by the computers.
This is why asking how much insurance costs on a BBS is dumb. Your premium is probably one of the most customer tailored product you can buy.

So to a point, you're correct.
but, those symbols like location- may represent total claims of theft of all vehicles (cars, bikes, anything) in that area. So it's not as specific as you may think. Also remember that insurance is shared risk. So M/C wrecks/thefts/tickets do not only affect M/C insurance rates. It's all the same pool of money to the insurance company. Car wrecks and theft affect your M/C insurance too.

It's overly complex. My wife worked for Progressive for years and is licensed in a bunch of states. Each state is different, and they add their own changes to that equation of symbols too. But it all boils down to an algorithm the computer crunches.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yea what he said. I knew it there was alot to it.I check on insurance for a 748 Duc once through Progressive and it was something like 348 a year.I then check on a 600f4i and turned out to be 1100 a year.SO i went with 1100 and a year later went to a new company and now pay 242 a year for the same f4i.Helps talking to all the riders around your area to see who has the lowest rate.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Corrections to the firearms know it all

The so-called "Assault weapons ban" has NOTHING to do with automatic weapons. These full auto weapons have been strictly controlled by the 1934 National Firearms Act. Owners must go thru an extensive FBI background check and are subject to State laws as well.

The "AWB" that just expired (thankfully) was a bill restricting COSMETIC features of guns that LOOK like the full auto versions but are not, but instead are SEMI-auto and fire ONE shot per tr***** pull. In almost every case such are difficult or impossible to make into a full auto weapon. The only other feature of the now expired law was a ban on the NEW manufacture or importation of over 10 round magazines. I can tell you, as a retailer of said items for the last 6 years that there were plenty legally left in circulation and almost any law abiding person that wanted such a semi auto weapon with a larger capacity magazine could obtain one legally, depending on state laws. The main effect of the expiration is lower/normal cost for normal/original capacity magazines.

Both of the above laws are/were utterly unconstitutional per the 2nd amendment to the US Constitution which FORBIDS any restrictions on citizens KEEPING and BEARING ARMS. ARMS is a pretty broad term but the founders were referring specifically to MILITARY arms. Who cares about that old yellow document, right? WE are smarter than the founders, yep.

As to the speeding ticket, it's obvious there was error/malice/grandstanding by the fuzz. And although the speed sounds fast in most circumstances, let's not forget the German autobahn, where that speed is legal. (As well as Montana) What's our problem in most of the USA? I'll tell ya: Incompetent drivers on the road.. it's that simple.. from reckless kids with no real driving skill/abilities, to 90 year old grannies who are unsafe at any speed. I don't profess to have all the answers but it's not to limit speed on a super highway to 70 mph.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm coming into this a little late and as a new member. I happened to be in MN on business when this happened and saw all the local press.

I'm not going to condone nor condemn. We all speed. If you don't, you're lying.

A couple observations. I wouldn't give the 'Today' show a fart worth of my time. They had Janklow's lawyer on the show and were commiserating with him on how tough it was for Janklow to be in jail, etc. They actually wanted you to feel sorry for the bastard, and didn't mention one word of the guy he killed or his family.

As a pilot, I'll say that you can easily trim up the plane to fly 'hands off' and do any number of things. Its done all the time. And if the plane had even the most minimal autopilot (wing leveler, e.g.), its even easier. Now how accurate you can time something moving on the ground is another story. Didn't see what altitude he was at, either.

As the bike was not impounded, a dyno run print out is as good as a letter from your fifth grade guidance counselor. There is no way to prove the bike wasn't 'unmodified' or changed after the ticket and prior to the dyno run. With regard to the RC211V, has anyone seen a top speed run done off a road course? The top speed on the track is usually limited by the length of the straight. It would be interesting to see how fast it would top out at in a couple miles worth of straight running.

Our local rag has a story almost daily about motorcycle accidents. I'd say they're 50/50 cager caused vs. self-inflicted. One recent story was about a guy on a sport bike stunting wearing only a helmet and sneakers being taped for a web-site who lost it on the highway and killed himself. That stuff doesn't help.

I agree with the comment on tiered licensing. A guy I work with never road before and wanted to buy a bike. Everyone who rides told him to start small and work his way up. Well, he got a brand new Hardley softtail and proceded to total it in about two weeks. Our secretary bought a 600F3i a couple years ago, never ridden before. Think it still has under 1K miles on it. She's scared of it.

Chris P.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
205mph said:

Is it tomorrow yet? :alky

·
Registered
10 Posts
segue00 said:
Is it tomorrow yet? :alky
Hey 205mph! Looks like you have a problem with time. What's the deal?

That was a month ago. If one day equals one month to you.....

Good luck today, you're gonna need it!! :alky

·
Registered
10 Posts
I seen the story tonight on Kare 11. Ya do what U gotta do...

I don't know how you can fight no licence though kid. I think the reckless driving charge is going to stick. Maybe you can win the 205 speed charge though. I was reading in the Wabasha county website and it looks like there is a fixed fine for 31+ mph over the speed limit. $210 dollars or something. Is going a certain speed over the limit a felony charge? Do they charge $10 per mph over the speed limit? :confused:

That would cost some serious cash if they make 205 stick....

141 - 160 of 167 Posts