Sport Bikes banner

121 - 140 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
CNN did a story on it. They said his court date is October 25th. So it's going to be a while before anything new comes up. Looks like 205 is being quiet for now...

·
Registered
109 Posts
TheSollyLama said:
Pretty much they have to toss out he speeding ticket entirely. THey gave him 205, in which 2 things can be proven- 1) he was not going 205 (so the 205 ticket is invalid) and 2) given that, we don't know how fast he was going, so no citation for a specific speed can be given.
That still leaves Reckless and stuff.But the actual speeding ticket should vaporize given proof that an RC51 can't do 205. One M/C magazine just profiles the Ten Kate CBR1000RR World Superbike and it just reaches over 200mph totally decked out and costing $36,000.
The publicity is going to go against the cops as well as bikers. Guesstimating speeds then fining people on it is bogus and I bet alot more people will fight tickets if they are clocked this way. So much has been made of it now that once it gets out the cop was ff by a good 30-40 mph, it'll prove embarrassing. Of course the media will still spin it however they want. But the fact is that the Rc51 wasn't going much faster than some specialty cars like a Viper are capable of.

Hit the nail on the head. Hopefully the public will be outraged that law enforcment has been fining the untold amounts of money on "guess-timated" speeding tickets for years now.

Luckily for us the officer had time to write the speeding ticket instead of looking for drug dealers, rapist, thieves and murderers.

·
Registered
459 Posts
It seems that everyone thinks this person did nothing wrong and he shouldn't be punished. Yeah, the offier f'ed up really bad and the ticket for speeding should be dropped, but the reckless driving charge should not be. Just think if someone going about 100 over the speeding limit hit one of your family members. Even if it was a bike, the other vehicle and passengers won't be in very good condition. It was stupid to do, plain and simple.

·
rectal rooter
482 Posts
i just read this on CNN and it waid it was an RC 51.

"Ever since a State Patrol pilot clocked Samuel Armstrong Tilley's 2002 Honda RC51 going a quarter-mile in 4.39 seconds on September 18, people in chat rooms, garages and biker bars from Sturgis, South Dakota, to Los Angeles have been buzzing about the alleged feat on Highway 61 near Wabasha."

thats even more bullshit. rc51's dont go 200. they dont even go 180.

·
Registered
457 Posts
http://speedzilla.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=32771&page=2

All right, I was the one who got the ticket and it is time to clear some things up. For one, I was riding a 2003 Honda RC51, "heavily modified" with 2 Brothers slip on pipes and, well thats all the mods I have unless you count the "I stop for wh***s" sticker. Next, the bike wasn't impounded, it was towed so it wouldn't be in the roadway. Ok, on to the tickets. 205...uh no. I am personal friends with the owner of "Hitman Motorsports" and tonight, Sept. 22, we did a top speed run on his dyno, in 6th gear, and maxed nearly 60mph slower than I was arrested for. The "no motorcycle endorsement" is because my licence was expired, I do have a motorcycle endoresement for all you people digging into me about that. The stop watch method may be accurate at times, but this is un-conceivable for my motorcycle to approach 205. Honda's RC211v, which is Honda's MotoGP race bike, 5 cyclinders and 268 horespower, just broke 200mph on the track within the last week. And we are talking about a 1/2 to 3/4 million dollar bike. And for you gear-heads, I had on Joe Rocket Boots, Shoei helmet, Leather gloves, Ballistic coat, and leather bottoms. Also, both of us were arrested, and no, the slower one did not get a warning, he was ticketed for 111mph on a F4i. I hope this clears things up for everybody, I am just sick of everyone saying things about what they dont know, making me look like this horrific person. People speed, and if anyone knows anything about the "Flood Run" (which was the ride I was on, which by the way benefits the Gillettes Children Fund) I would be a hell of a lot more concerned about the 7,000 bar-hopping motorcyclist out on the road. 99% of the people you hear things from are misinformed. If you have questions, I will answer them. And one last note, this is information you don't know, the pilot who clocked me, was clocking me, the F4i, and flying his plane at 110mph all at the same time. Think about that for a second.

TO answer some questions this happened about 5-6 miles south of Wabasha on 61 heading towards Winona. I haven't talked to the flood run organizers, however the officers did say they were there because they knew the event was taking place and they have had a history of "excessive speeders" on the last stretch down to Winona. And while we were on the side of the road, I would estimate 200-300 bikers passed us, but no one pulled over. And in response to Merlin509, there are some decent steches on that road, but even if my bike did do 205, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable. And the stretch down to Treasure Island you are talking about, one of my old roomates was killed on that road earlier this year.

And on the subject of this stopwatch calculation, you have to sit back and think, and believe me I have done a lot of this, about human reaction time, the fact that he was running two stop watches and flying his plane at the same time, his degree of angle on my when I crossed the hash-marks on the road, plus depth-perseption. I really do appreciate everyones feedback on this, and I will keep everyone informed."

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wabasha, MN

Hey everyone. I live in Wabasha, MN, so I have riden on this particular stech of road many times. The "Flood Run" that he was on happens twice a year. Third Sat in April and the third Sat in Sept. It started off many years ago from people riding up and down the river in the spring to help people devistated by floods in the river towns along the Mississippi river. It is now a bi-annual even where 1000's of motorcycle riders gather to get ther ride, show off and share in a great event. The ride, depending on where you start is 200-300 miles long, running north and south along Mississippi in MN & WI.

I purchase my 1st bike in '94, it was a CBR600F2 and my most recent '95 CBR900RR. I rode many times during the flood run, and back then this even used to be very wild. It all started going down hill about 7 yrs ago, after a couple individual were careless and got hurt in Minnieska. I haven't rode on it in serveral years becasue the Law was cracking down on all the fun. I have topped out both my '94 600F2 and my '95 CBR900RR along this same strech of rode. My 600F2 @ 154 according to the speedo and my 900RR @ I am guessing around 160, because of dropping a tooth on my front sprocket was throughing off the speedo (from where the speedo is registered on a '95 900RR.

The "ROAD" is HWY 61 about 6-7 miles south of Wabasha. It is a 4 lane hwy, that has a strech of road almost straight for 1-2 miles. What is special about this section of HWY is that for it entirety, their is a line of thick trees that seperates the N bound lane from the S bound lane. Not only is there a thick tree barrier, but the S bound lane is 50 ft higher up the hillside than the N bound lane, give all go fast driver free reign to speed and hoping not to get caught.

So. was he going "205" of course not and we all know it. Lets hope the judge realizes it too and gives the guy a break.

Was he going like a bat out of hell. YES! and if anyone has ridden this rode you will understand why he did it there.

Sorry man, I know I have done my far share of speeding through that same strech of road and not gotten caught *knock on wood*.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Too bad he wasn't riding a Harley. Then they would have done a sobriety test on the cop in the air!!
This is what gets me.

I was out riding this weekend along the Mississippi in Minnesota, and every riverside bar I went by had about 100 Harleys out in front and lines out the front door full of beer drinking hog heads. Why are they expending so many resources on the speeders, when the roads are full of beer swilling Harley riders, many who ride only occasionally on weekends and probably have trouble handling their bikes sober.

Most of the sport riders I know are very respectful of the power and handling of their bikes, and would not even think of drinking and riding. I'd much rather be passed by a sober sport rider doing 100+ than a group of drunk Harley riders on their way to the next bar.

·
Banned
176 Posts
Merlin509 said:
This is what gets me.

I was out riding this weekend along the Mississippi in Minnesota, and every riverside bar I went by had about 100 Harleys out in front and lines out the front door full of beer drinking hog heads. Why are they expending so many resources on the speeders, when the roads are full of beer swilling Harley riders, many who ride only occasionally on weekends and probably have trouble handling their bikes sober.

Most of the sport riders I know are very respectful of the power and handling of their bikes, and would not even think of drinking and riding. I'd much rather be passed by a sober sport rider doing 100+ than a group of drunk Harley riders on their way to the next bar.

:dblthumb i'm with you on that point 100%

·
Registered
1 Posts
i just registered to be able to do 1 post, i cant belive the IM HOLYER THAN THOU attitude in here... what the.. is it a christian "dont hurt yourself or others, praise the lord" sportbike forum ??? ffs you got nice SPORT bikes they are built for speed those hp's are meant to be put to use, if ye wanna cruise along at 60 go buy a touring bike much more comfortable, and seriously whats the fuzz about ? go watch ghost rider's uppsala runs THAT'S speeding on a bike

bet half of ye just own a rocket to show it off on the parkin lots and do the occasional 0-60 as fast as possible acclerations

bunch o pussies imho

and what about the .. cant make a xx go as fast as xx .. where i come from we build 70's mazda's doin 200mph+ , anything is possible with the right engine/parts/money/time/knowledge.. or are ye just kids with a neat lil tuning catalog in front of ye with big "mega POWER" text over the products and descritions like "will make yer bike fly!!" accompanied with a really cool dude in sunglasses ??

just my 2 cents and dont bother argue i wont read or answer just stated my opinion.

·
Registered
457 Posts
mighty_fc said:
i just registered to be able to do 1 post, i cant belive the IM HOLYER THAN THOU attitude in here... what the.. is it a christian "dont hurt yourself or others, praise the lord" sportbike forum ??? ffs you got nice SPORT bikes they are built for speed those hp's are meant to be put to use, if ye wanna cruise along at 60 go buy a touring bike much more comfortable, and seriously whats the fuzz about ? go watch ghost rider's uppsala runs THAT'S speeding on a bike

bet half of ye just own a rocket to show it off on the parkin lots and do the occasional 0-60 as fast as possible acclerations

bunch o pussies imho

and what about the .. cant make a xx go as fast as xx .. where i come from we build 70's mazda's doin 200mph+ , anything is possible with the right engine/parts/money/time/knowledge.. or are ye just kids with a neat lil tuning catalog in front of ye with big "mega POWER" text over the products and descritions like "will make yer bike fly!!" accompanied with a really cool dude in sunglasses ??

just my 2 cents and dont bother argue i wont read or answer just stated my opinion.

Welcome to SBN :D

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
mighty_fc said:

bunch o pussies imho

That's how we get you hooked. Hang around and educate us a little, this drive by posting stuff sucks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been flooded with mail/calls/email/instant messages etc. so I apologize for not responding lately. Nothing very new to tell you guys/gals, however I would like to say a few things. I enjoy reading everyone's responses, opinions, and ideas. Any more questions I will surely answer. (by the way, my AOL screen name is tdtki)

However, this is the only "bashing" I am going to do. One time, and one time only. I am so sick of the people saying "...he is giving motorcyclists a bad name.." etc. etc. etc. I apologize for the publicity, I did not do that myself. I was caught for speeding, wether it was 205, or 85. It is a misdemeaner/petty misdemeaner offense. Anyone caught speeding is guilty of the same thing. We all know everyone opens 'er up once or twice, does a wheelie/stoppie etc. . All I ask is not to be hypocritical. Thank you and if you have any more question let me know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am not an attorney. Proof is in the pudding. Unless the bike was really modified (which is reported to not be) then there is no way that this bike ran 205. The ticket was for 205. If the bike was not running 205 then it is up to the prosecutor to prove how fast he was going. Since it was definately not going 205 there is no other charge on speed and the judge should dismiss. Since the same officer made the charge of reckless and he has already proved to be lying about the speed then how can you trust the officers testamony of the reckless? Once a liar then all words cannot be trusted and you are always a liar. The judge would have to dismiss the reckless charge because there is no proof. This would then be a defense by others also caught by the same officer. IMHO.
nitridr

·
Registered
5 Posts
predator_zx10r said:
"if you'r not with us, you'r part of the problem." i see RACER-X as a pain in the ASS.

Alittle O/T, but while I do agree with RACER-X's ideas and opinions about m/c safety issues etc., when I find myself reading his posts I get pissed off at his holier than thou attitude and believe me you DO come off this way. I work in law-enforcement and see/stop (and occasionally ticket) speeding bikes/vehicles everyday, and I don't even give the BS lectures and stories to the operators that this guy does over the internet. Moral of the story, should we be achieving these sort of speeds on public roadways? NO are we going to continue to do it? YES. And like 205 is experiencing now, can you be caught and penalized for such actions? YES. I am in no way agreeing with excessive speeding, but simply stating the facts.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
i see this ticket easily going out the window once you show your proof to a judge with a lawyer.

121 - 140 of 167 Posts