Sport Bikes banner

101 - 120 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey 205! What did you get on your speedo? Lawyers said not to say? I'm curious to what the RC51's speedo said. Can you share more info on how the RC was modifed? Just a pipe? How about HP numbers? Gearing changes?

We still can't know if you are the actual person, even though it sounds like you are. I hope you can share your story after the shit is all said and done, like fines, and how much your mistake cost you.

I heard the cops weren't bustin' peeps under 100 mph...

·
Palm City Nice Guy
2,503 Posts
Too bad you got caught, it's all part of the fun we have, go fast, have fun, be safe, (hope you don't get caught). Racing, in the blood.

·
Palm City Nice Guy
2,503 Posts
Erebus said:
It's kind of like the assault weapons thing. If someone wants to go to the range and knock down 30 bottles with 1 pull of the tr***** fine. Just don't try and tell me you have an AK-47 for hunting or personal protection. It's so you can say you have an AK-47 and can go to the range and blow the hell outta some targets.

When you say you have an AK-47 for protecting your property you sound like a crackpot. When someone sites personal protection I picture some 16 year old kid cutting through a yard sneaking home getting blown away by some nutcase in cammies. There's nothing wrong with having an AK-47 cause you like to shoot one, it's just that people seem to think they have to assign some kind of great purpose to it. And come off looking foolish.

And for the record I am not at all anti-gun. But I am a realist.
I certainly hope your'e right, terrorist's never come here with their crap, if they do you might change your mind and want an AK. :hshot

·
Palm City Nice Guy
2,503 Posts
D.T. said:
Hey 205! What did you get on your speedo? Lawyers said not to say? I'm curious to what the RC51's speedo said. Can you share more info on how the RC was modifed? Just a pipe? How about HP numbers? Gearing changes?

We still can't know if you are the actual person, even though it sounds like you are. I hope you can share your story after the shit is all said and done, like fines, and how much your mistake cost you.

I heard the cops weren't bustin' peeps under 100 mph...
It might be just me but at those speed's I ain't got time to take my eye's off the road to try and focus on the speedo, looking through face shield and windscreen is a task in itself. :eek:

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think it's too bad that 205 didn't on any shows to tell the truth. It might open up the eyes of just how targeted sportbikes are by law enforcement! Talk about a shining case - it would be great to use it for a positive for the biking world!

·
Registered
1 Posts
It seems to me that if your dyno sheet, backed up by expert testimony, proves your motorcycle incapable of 205, you walk in court. You prove that the charge is impossible, they prove incapable of accuracy. I had a customer get a ticket for 95mph in a late model tractor (semi). His electronic engine's ecm indicated a max lifetime speed of 87mph. We thought it would reduce the ticket to 87mph, but the judge threw out the charges. The ecm doesn't indicate when 87mph occured, so it couldn't be used as evidence at the time the 95mph ticket was recieved. The argument is if 205 as measured by the officer is impossible, just how fast were you actually going, 55mph? Your word vs. theirs, and theirs has been proven wrong. I'd get a lawyer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Minivans Wreck at 55 mph and 5 people die all the time... To me the speed limit laws are written by people in horse and buggies for people in horse and buggies. Universal speed limits are unfair.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hey the actual ticket is posted up in the pictures department of this very website and all I have to say is that the fine for the actual speeding section is rediculously low in fact it is 10 Dollars less than a ticket that I got for 30 over the speed limit in Washington State

·
Registered
250 Posts
jeff kelland said:
It seems to me that if your dyno sheet, backed up by expert testimony, proves your motorcycle incapable of 205, you walk in court. You prove that the charge is impossible, they prove incapable of accuracy. I had a customer get a ticket for 95mph in a late model tractor (semi). His electronic engine's ecm indicated a max lifetime speed of 87mph. We thought it would reduce the ticket to 87mph, but the judge threw out the charges. The ecm doesn't indicate when 87mph occured, so it couldn't be used as evidence at the time the 95mph ticket was recieved. The argument is if 205 as measured by the officer is impossible, just how fast were you actually going, 55mph? Your word vs. theirs, and theirs has been proven wrong. I'd get a lawyer.

It would be interesting to see the outcome. On one hand, according to the dyno there is no excuse at all for an error in speed calculation that large. On the other hand, the officer correctly noted that the vehicle was traveling at such a great speed that the reckless charge would stand even if they didn't clock your speed.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I talked to someone today who got a $160 ticket for going 2 miles over the limit. Yes, you read that right. TWO. That would be 27 in a 25. Mister 205 here should consider himself lucky with whatever he gets.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What REALLY happened

All this BS discussion about 205 MPH is redundant. More than likely our guy was riding at the rate of least 150. That is it!!!! Should he have received a ticket for 150 (or thereabouts)?. Probably. The rider, whoever he is, must still go to court and allow the court decide the punishment.
At 150mph on a public highway he knew he was taking a risk. The rider's intelligence is questionable. He probably should have known the troopers were in the area. Possible it was just inexperience. Hopefully he will learn from his mistake before he dies an early death -- assuming he is under 30 years of age.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Forget the Today show, it would be a lot more fun for all if a call to "wind tunnel" would be accepted and Mr. Despaine would eat his words "idiot" and "waste of time" when presented with the facts! Come on Dave, I'll bet you read this. Are you humble enough to admit a mistake? You've done it before. Can you say ratings?

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Pretty much they have to toss out he speeding ticket entirely. THey gave him 205, in which 2 things can be proven- 1) he was not going 205 (so the 205 ticket is invalid) and 2) given that, we don't know how fast he was going, so no citation for a specific speed can be given.
That still leaves Reckless and stuff.But the actual speeding ticket should vaporize given proof that an RC51 can't do 205. One M/C magazine just profiles the Ten Kate CBR1000RR World Superbike and it just reaches over 200mph totally decked out and costing $36,000.
The publicity is going to go against the cops as well as bikers. Guesstimating speeds then fining people on it is bogus and I bet alot more people will fight tickets if they are clocked this way. So much has been made of it now that once it gets out the cop was ff by a good 30-40 mph, it'll prove embarrassing. Of course the media will still spin it however they want. But the fact is that the Rc51 wasn't going much faster than some specialty cars like a Viper are capable of.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
RC51 ?
Even with a pipe and sprocket change....No way!

101 - 120 of 167 Posts