Sport Bikes banner

81 - 100 of 167 Posts

·
Speed Racer
1,650 Posts
I heard on the radio today that his ride was impounded. I'm so going to that police auction. LOL

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
TheSollyLama said:
I think some media exposure would be beneficial if only we could get the producers to be fair. Highly unlikely.
For me, the key topic of the story should be the accuracy (or lack thereof) of police 'guesstimates' of bikers speed. If the cop in a plane could be that far off with an eyeball measurement, how many other tickets given that way were invalid? If i had gotten a ticket in MN by a plane, I'd be after the cops because this episode proves the fallability of such eyeball estimates.
That should be the focus of the biker rebuttal. Cops are taking stabs at our speed and writing tickets based on pathetic guesses. No way was an RC51 without a turbo or NOS and a regearing is gonna do 205.

So while yes, it is negative press for us because of the insane speeds on a public road (hey dude, the only reason I haven't done 180 on the road is because my bike wont do it, so no bashing from me) it gives us the chance to turn it around on them. They are painfully off in the speeds they try to pin us for (using that method, we're screwed with a laser or radar).

Here in CO Springs, the city passed noise laws. But they don't want to pay for noise meters, so it's up to a cop to guess whether you're too loud, and you to somehow prove otherwise in court. Yup, you read it right. THe cop can write a ticket if he THINKS your exhaust is too loud.
Didn't know cops ears (or eyes) were calibrated by US Weights and Measures.................
You don't need my approval, but that was a great post. Very well thought out and stated. Indeed, you are worthy of your name, oh wise one.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Good luck.Hopefully some of the people here would stop nitpicking your story.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Good luck.Hopefully some of the people here would stop nitpicking your story.
Another board I frequent has a poster who claims to have been on the run. He says the bike was CBR1000RR. So, I don't know who to believe now.

·
Ducatista
1,812 Posts
My only comment is a 2brothers pipe is not considered a "heavly modified" RC.

As far as these other pudnockers that are giving you shit about giving riders a bad name don't sweat it. Let he who is free of sin cast the first rock, we all speed and i don't want to hear that shit that "I have never done that"

Good luck, if you get a good attorney you can beat the VASCAR reading. In Florida many have beat it because it has been proven that something as small as a 10th of a second delay in reading the stop watch equals a 20 to 40 mile an hour error in the calculation. According to you he timed you and your buddy that would make his calculation way off.

Good luck!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Enjoy your 15 minutes of fame there, 205. In a couple of year, no one but you will remember. Make sure you save lots of clippings, videos, etc. You know... stuff to show the grandkids.

Your situation is kinda like how I used to play basketball: No blood, no foul!

·
Registered
68 Posts
RACER X said:
you think Gillette will keep sponsoring this event w/ antics like this on the record?

btw, good going, to giving sportbiking another black mark w/ the reg. public.......like we need any more.

Gillette doesn't "sponsor" the ride, and I'd be surprised if they were even officially invoved. It's simply a fundraising event.

·
Registered
68 Posts
mercutio80 said:
Another board I frequent has a poster who claims to have been on the run. He says the bike was CBR1000RR. So, I don't know who to believe now.

He was on an RC51.

However, I'm sure there were a few 1000RRs on the run.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Snowman said:
My only comment is a 2brothers pipe is not considered a "heavly modified" RC.

I'm sure that was intended to be sarcasm, as all of the local papers have printed that he was riding a heavily modified machine.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Found this on another board:

As a person who lives in MN and travels that road there isn't a place straight enough to hit that speed let alone 186. Also the local news stations are showing the guy was on a RC51. I just got a call from my insurance agent after this and he told me since I ride a sport bike they will not renew with me for next year. I'm getting quotes of 1800 dollars to cover my RC51. Needless to say the bike is going to be sold and I'm looking at a BMW R1100S or R1100R instead. I'm through.
So, at least one insurance company has already overreacted to this story.

·
Registered
68 Posts
mercutio80 said:
Found this on another board:

So, at least one insurance company has already overreacted to this story.
The media has over reacted to an over inflated speeding ticket, and now we might be seeing the consequences.

When I owned my RC51, I was paying $700 a year for insurance. When I bought my FZ1, the same company quoted $2200 for the FZ1.

When I questioned the difference in quotes, the agent said he must have misquoted the RC51 and told me I should have been paying more.

So, where is this story going? I guess it is possible, that this news story maybe opened the eyes of an insurance company or just an insurance agent that may have categorized the RC51 wrong in the first place.

Insurance companies are strange. When I had my Ducati, I was with an inurance agency that didn't consider Ducatis as sportbikes because they had only two cylinders. Then when I got my RC51, the same company quoted me $4200 MORE than what I was paying on the Duc.

Rather than sell the RC51, that guy should shop around for new insurance.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I’m late on this but I just wanted to say. I though MN cops were pretty cool. I ride in MN a few times a year and just a few months ago, we were riding on 61 on a Saturday afternoon just South of Wabasha… there is part of the road that you can easily speed on, there is hardly any traffic, no cross streets and you can’t see (and you can’t be seen either) the traffic going the other direction, since the other lanes are raised. I had already slowed down by the time the cops passed me, but they got three of my friends going 145mph, wrote them up for 95 in a 65 and all they had to do was send $150 in the mail. Cops in other states usually don’t let you get away with that.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I dont know about other areas but it is the stunters and the slower riders that seem to get in all the bad wrecks simple speed just isnt enough on a open road. It is not like a little twig in the road is going to cause you to crash.

·
Registered
1 Posts
205.....good luck.. we all ride like this ..you and I know it, and they know it to..anything over 65 you can get at ticket...have fun and ride to your best abilities. Jax Fl ---- Ti2X.com.. ----

81 - 100 of 167 Posts