Sport Bikes banner

3821 - 3840 of 4460 Posts

·
Taking my time....
536 Posts
Jimbo, glad to hear you'll be all right. Sounds like your ego took more of a hit than your body! :)

·
Sport Touring Rider
676 Posts
Glad ur ok man! Looks like u guys had a great ride all things considered! I hope to hook up with one soon!

Hey Drur.............Ur a Triumph fan right? Did u catch the article in CW on there new Rocket III? Sounds like a bada$$ bike. 140 cubic inch tripple supposed to be the biggest production motorcycle motor. Only 120 horse, but it has 140 lbs of torque! That is monster torque! The new VMax is 113lbs torque, and that is alot! And they say its under 14grand...... Sounds like a heck of a cruser(ish...lol) bike!
The 2.3L rocket 3 has been out for about 4 years hasn't it?

VMax=197hp and the engine doesn't look like it came from a John Deere. Rocket 3 has so much potential but as you buy them, they are pretty ugly.

That blacked out one looks pretty decent, though.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The 2.3L rocket 3 has been out for about 4 years hasn't it?

VMax=197hp and the engine doesn't look like it came from a John Deere. Rocket 3 has so much potential but as you buy them, they are pretty ugly.

That blacked out one looks pretty decent, though.
The Rocket II has been out for awhile, the III is brand new, they claim 10 or 15% more torque over the II. IMHO yes the vmax is faster in the quarter by 1 second, it is Hideous!!!!! Very ugly bike in my opinion. The Rocket has 120 ft/lbs of torque down at 1000 rpm's! That is just incredible! Your pretty much always in the right gear no matter what! I'd love to test ride one!

·
Taking my time....
536 Posts
The Rocket II has been out for awhile, the III is brand new, they claim 10 or 15% more torque over the II. IMHO yes the vmax is faster in the quarter by 1 second, it is Hideous!!!!! Very ugly bike in my opinion. The Rocket has 120 ft/lbs of torque down at 1000 rpm's! That is just incredible! Your pretty much always in the right gear no matter what! I'd love to test ride one!
Both bikes are pretty ugly in my opinion but I don't think most folks buy them for the looks. They are both engines that happen to have a bike frame and two wheels wrapped around them. Kinda like a Viper over on the cage side of things.

I really don't think that Yamaha is going to sell too many V-Max's with a sticker price pushing $20K. That has been the big gripe about the bike from it's introduction. If I am spending $20k on a bike, I'm buying a Victory or a Goldwing.

The Rocket III at $14K is a good deal. I like the blacked out version much better myself. Both bikes are very unique in a field of motorcycles that look more and more the same all the time and it is getting worse.

Their is very little differentiation between manufacturers anymore. Just about any model of Japanese bike has a performance/look that is comparable between manufacturers.

·
Haga's protege
501 Posts
I agree, a new helmet is in my future for sure.. as well as some riding pants.
Yea, I'm sore as hell today! Mostly my ribs, I had to roll out of bed today because I couldnt sit up. Work's gonna be a blast today.:banana HA!!!
we have a "turn down service" on SBN....did u not get the memo jim?

·
Sport Touring Rider
676 Posts
Rocket II? No, the Rocket III has been out for years. Triumph Rocket III - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I find the VMax to be way better looking than the tractor.

Photos do it no justice, we have two in stock and they are sexy!

·
Taking my time....
536 Posts
Rocket II? No, the Rocket III has been out for years. Triumph Rocket III - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I find the VMax to be way better looking than the tractor.

Photos do it no justice, we have two in stock and they are sexy!
OK, but how many have you sold at an MSRP of $19,500???? That is a hell of a lot of money for that bike. That is over $4k more than an FJR!

I agree it is a neat bike that defies being stuck in a particular class. You either love it or hate it but the fact is, it is a damn rocket with loads of HP and torque.

·
Sport Touring Rider
676 Posts
OK, but how many have you sold at an MSRP of $19,500???? That is a hell of a lot of money for that bike. That is over $4k more than an FJR!

I agree it is a neat bike that defies being stuck in a particular class. You either love it or hate it but the fact is, it is a damn rocket with loads of HP and torque.
One of the two we have is already sold just not yet picked up. This bike wasn't made for guys like us. It wasn't really made for Rocket III guys, either which is more of a cruiser than a big standard. It was made for the sport cruiser crowd who are looking at Victory Hammer's and HD V-rod's. In that market, the price isn't an issue.

·
Sport Touring Rider
676 Posts
Krid......i miss-quoted the article, its the Rocket III Roadster that is Brand New....
Ah, gotcha. I hadn't heard of that.... it doesn't really look any different (exhaust aside) than the standard Rocket III and 830lbs?! YIPE! :whiteflag

·
Registered
326 Posts
well guys, I might finally be getting my new sportbike!

If all goes well, I'm going to see about getting that blue 2001 Suzuki sv650s that I posted a while back for about $1,450. ( has salvaged title, but runs) and have it shipped to me for $450. so $1,900, + taxes, license and insurance... not to bad I don't think? :)

just has a few scratches and stuff. part of the upper fairing is broken, radiator has already been replaced, has a broken tip on the clutch lever, and shifter lever... sounds like simple fixes to me. and plan to later replace the upper fairing, and repaint the bike the same color ( I like that blue)

Link to bike pictures on my photobucket

·
Taking my time....
536 Posts
Tiger, some advice. Sport bikes can really take a beating and many times are not taken care of like they should be. This could very well be one of those bikes. Unless you can physically see this bike run and have a mechanic check it out, I wouldn't buy it.

Find a bike locally...

·
Registered
217 Posts
well guys, I might finally be getting my new sportbike!

If all goes well, I'm going to see about getting that blue 2001 Suzuki sv650s that I posted a while back for about $1,450. ( has salvaged title, but runs) and have it shipped to me for $450. so $1,900, + taxes, license and insurance... not to bad I don't think?

just has a few scratches and stuff. part of the upper fairing is broken, radiator has already been replaced, has a broken tip on the clutch lever, and shifter lever... sounds like simple fixes to me. and plan to later replace the upper fairing, and repaint the bike the same color ( I like that blue)
Make sure it is mechanically sound first! I had one just like it, but it was red when I got it. Fun bike! I'd just ditch the fairings, and do what i did. Pics below...... P.S. I bought it for 800, and sold it for 3grand when finished...

·
Registered
623 Posts
i agree tiger. it may be cheep but thats not all ways a good thing. you should look around local. there are bikes for sale every day in the paper. bikes sales are very slow right now and you should be able to get a good deal on a new ninja 500 from sappingtons. you haven't road over 100 miles at one time so why get a bike with a lot of power when you really only need a mid range bike that will last you for about 2 years. the 500 is a very good all around bike for a beginer rider. hell i know guys who have been rideing for years that can out corner me and i have a 1400cc bike. it's the rider and the bike. you need both to be good.

3821 - 3840 of 4460 Posts