Sport Bikes banner

3761 - 3780 of 4460 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry if my statement caused people to get upset. I sure did not mean to offend or take shots at anyone, but I realize that is how it came out. My intention was to get us all out riding together. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I didn't get the bike :( I don't have a truck, and the friend that agreed to go with me and use his had some other things come up. So I'm going to look for something local and try and sell my current bike.

If anyone knows of a good twin for sale in the 2,000-2,500 range, I'd be happy to store it in my garage :)
hey tiger in the future, you can call me if you need to pick up a bike. I have a truck. We need more younger riders in this group. Riding with all of these grumpy men can get old. lol jk. 314 591-7880. By the way, the fz6 is a better choice than the 650r or sv but thats my personal opinion.

·
Registered
623 Posts
well have you thought about a double bubble ben it's a lot cheaper and i bet it would fix the problem and save you 600 bucks in a long run. i really never had the problems you talk about till i hit triples numbers

·
Taking my time....
536 Posts
hey tiger in the future, you can call me if you need to pick up a bike. I have a truck. We need more younger riders in this group. Riding with all of these grumpy men can get old. lol jk. 314 591-7880. By the way, the fz6 is a better choice than the 650r or sv but thats my personal opinion.
Grumpy men? You must be referring to Glen....
:leaving

·
Taking my time....
536 Posts
Sorry if my statement caused people to get upset. I sure did not mean to offend or take shots at anyone, but I realize that is how it came out. My intention was to get us all out riding together. Sorry about that.
No need to apologize. The fact of the matter is, every trip we have taken has been either very close if not over 1000 miles in two days. That is a lot of riding and many folks wouldn't want to do that sort of mileage in a short period of time. Honestly, would you have gone? Did you have the time? Can you handle 15 hours of riding on two lane roads covering 600 miles?

It was tough on us and we've experienced it before.

Trips in the future will more than likely be covering even greater distances since we are trying to ride through as many states as possible.

·
Keyser Söze
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,766
yes and no

well have you thought about a double bubble ben it's a lot cheaper and i bet it would fix the problem and save you 600 bucks in a long run. i really never had the problems you talk about till i hit triples numbers
i think a double buble really wouldn't do the job i need. i would have to get one or those touring sheilds and i think they look kind of stupid on the fz1. i think if i was a little shorter i wouldn't have any trouble either. im in the middle mark. if i was a little taller i would be good and if i was shorter i would be good. i also really like the looks of a naked bike. from what i have read about this issue with the gen 2 fz1 there are a few fixes. none of them add to the look of the bike in a good way at all. so time will tell.

·
Taking my time....
536 Posts
i think a double buble really wouldn't do the job i need. i would have to get one or those touring sheilds and i think they look kind of stupid on the fz1. i think if i was a little shorter i wouldn't have any trouble either. im in the middle mark. if i was a little taller i would be good and if i was shorter i would be good. i also really like the looks of a naked bike. from what i have read about this issue with the gen 2 fz1 there are a few fixes. none of them add to the look of the bike in a good way at all. so time will tell.
You would be surprised at what a double bubble would do. I put a generic one on my Ninja and it actually does a better job than the ZG touring windscreen I had on it prior.

From my experience with owning three windscreen for one bike and also owing a cruiser, there is no panacea as far as a windscreens are concerned. You have to compromise at some point.

You also mentioned your mirrors. What makes you think the mirrors are causing a problem? They are off to the side and so small I doubt that is what is causing the problem. More than likely it is just the windscreen and the overall design of the bike (naked).

You want wind protection? Buy a full faired bike.

·
Keyser Söze
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,768 (Edited)

You would be surprised at what a double bubble would do. I put a generic one on my Ninja and it actually does a better job than the ZG touring windscreen I had on it prior.

From my experience with owning three windscreen for one bike and also owing a cruiser, there is no panacea as far as a windscreens are concerned. You have to compromise at some point.

You also mentioned your mirrors. What makes you think the mirrors are causing a problem? They are off to the side and so small I doubt that is what is causing the problem. More than likely it is just the windscreen and the overall design of the bike (naked).

You want wind protection? Buy a full faired bike.

i don't care about wind pertection. i don't want full full faired bike i want a naked bike and the mirrors do cause a problem. they cause turbulence which is what causes my helmet to wobble a little. some people on the fz10a forum have mounted the mirrors up side down and have had luck with that, but it looks retarded. i looked on line and i don't see any double bubbles for my year bike. only the gen 1's are listed. they do list a touring screen but i think it just looks like shit.

on my ninja i had a puig double bubble and it was a hell of a lot better than stock and looked good as well. now i have really gotten into naked bikes. just something about them i really like. i have a good helmet that flows in the wind really well. when i sit up really straight and put my head in the wind it's quite and smooth. which is better than what i have now. with my stock set up i can ride and deal with it, but i really like the fz1n and i'm pretty sure that's what i'm after.

·
Taking my time....
536 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ok, thanks for the offer! :smilierr

and hmm, fz6 is better... You ride an fz6... I wonder if that's a biased opinion?... Lol. Joking :p
I think I'm just going to look for any twin around that size that I like the looks of and in is good mechanical, and visual shape, for the right price, and not too old. Trying to keep it 2000-2004?

·
Keyser Söze
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,771 (Edited)
yes sir i have

Did you look at this?

Or this?

This?
\

yeah man i have looked at all of those. like i said i'm not wanting a touring screen. the zg modles dont fin on the fz1 very well at all and have to be cut so that they don't rub. that and the puig is really tall. i really don't want a screen at all. thanks for looking man.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I personally like the double bubble. I think it's all about what your trying to acheive and the height of the wind screen. i run a short double bubble.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just wanted to invite everyone to our ride night this month. It's next Wednesday June 9th 6pm and leave out about 6:15pm at Sappington's. it will be about an hour ride ending at Beef 'O' Brady's. We will have lot's of giveaway's and discount's on food and Beef 'o' Brady's will have giveaway's too and reserved parking for us.

·
Registered
326 Posts

·
Keyser Söze
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,776
thanks tiger

dj

i really like the looks of a double bubble on a full faired bike, but one like mine they just look plain goofy as hell. i had one on my zzr600 and loved the hell out of it. i just dont like the look of the fz1 with a double bubble touring screen. the nose of my bike stick out far and with a tall sheild they just look stupid

·
Registered
326 Posts
I figure same reason they stopped the naked z1000's in the US?

Wasn't it because they sold like crazy in Europe, so they kept production there, but the fully faired bikes WAY outsold the naked's in the US, and it was hard for dealers to get rid of their naked models. So the companies stopped sending them
to the US?

I don't know for sure, but just guessing, I think I read that on some website... That was the reason For the z1000 around 2003 maybe? [edit:it was 2005 the z1000 left] And some of the dealers talked kawisaki into bringing it back in 2007? [edit: it was the CA division of Kawasaki motor corp that wanted it back, it was here for 2 years, left again, and brought back in '10]

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ok, so I found the article again, I was a little off... The link that I found originally (an again) was posted on the forum a few pages back.

2010 Kawasaki z1000 unveiled
Alas, the nakeds see immensely larger sales volume in Europe than here in America, and therefore most OEMs are reluctant to either import them whatsoever, or if they do, they come in relatively small batches.

Kawasaki gave it the ol’ college try in 2003 when it created the original Z1000 and hoped riders in the states would take to it like the company knew the European market would, and indeed did.

However, it was a sales flop in America. Were it not for the devotion of the powers that be at Kawasaki MotorsCorporation, Inc, in Irvine, CA, the Z wouldn’t have seen the light of day in the U.S. in ’07.

Regardless of their zeal and stoic confidence that the American market would finally embrace the Z, it was dropped from the line after just two years due to lackluster sales. Shame, really.

Third times a charm, right?

The Z1000 returns for the American market in 2010, and once again we should be thankful that Kawasaki had enough to spare.

·
Keyser Söze
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,780
tiger has a point. naked bikes in europe sell like hot cakes. here in the USA not so much.

jim
i'm really going to try to get that fz1n kit this summer. i'm not sure what the wife will say, but as long as i put the carpet in the house and a little in savings the rest of my bonus should be mine

3761 - 3780 of 4460 Posts