Sport Bikes banner

3641 - 3660 of 4460 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm all about getting something inexpensive that needs a bit of "tweakiung". It gives you something to make your own & alot of experience in the process. Seems like a pretty good deal.

·
Keyser Söze
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,643
where did that from end come from on that ex500. i know it's not off that bike, but it looks like it fits perfect.

·
Registered
326 Posts
So I guess they replaced the front end after the fall? I noticed some scratches on the crank case, (think I called it the right thing) but the mirrors and fairings looked pretty good. Some scratches around the wind screen, but that's about all I saw. Didn't look it over that well.

·
Registered
326 Posts
And hmm, so that's an ex500, not the ninja... Glad I posted a picture here, lol.

What are the big differences in those?

EDIT: ok, so I was doing some reading, I guess the bike was called the ex500 pre '93. And after that, it had a name change to the ninja 500?

EDIT: well nevermind :/ I called them, turns out it's a 250... Lol. *sigh* they didn't have a size posted on the sign, and it looked like the 500's to me, I forgot that the 250's didn't get a desgn upgrade until 2008, and that the older ones did look like that :/

·
Taking my time....
536 Posts
And hmm, so that's an ex500, not the ninja... Glad I posted a picture here, lol.

EDIT: ok, so I was doing some reading, I guess the bike was called the ex500 pre '93. And after that, it had a name change to the ninja 500?
An EX500 is it's official Kawasaki name much in the same way that my Ninja 650r is an EX650. You'll see it listed on titles and insurance papers like that.

Since it has a completely different front end and only 600 miles, my guess is someone wrecked it pretty bad. Does that mean I wouldn't buy it? No, but I would take it too a good mechanic and have it checked out. If it is good mechanical shape, $1500 would be a steal. Find a motorcycle mechanic and pay him $50 to look at it.

Would it be a good bike for you in relationship to your age/experience level? You bet.

·
Haga's protege
501 Posts

yes but ninja 500r

dont forget the r :p

only difference from the first ex500 and the present day 500's
mirrors badges small changes to fairings 17 on newer 16's on older (rims) and gearing is different other than that same bike same carb engine....kawasaki couldnt improve what wasnt broken

·
Taking my time....
536 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ok, thanks for all the great info guys, I love learning new stuff! And yeah, I was gonna get the bike if it was mechanically sound, until I found out that it's only a 250 :/ I edited my previous post. If I can fine a decent 500, maybe 600 for a low price to learn on for the next 1-2 years, that would be great.

Not looking for anything fancying case I drop it. Lol.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ok, thanks for all the great info guys, I love learning new stuff! And yeah, I was gonna get the bike if it was mechanically sound, until I found out that it's only a 250 :/ I edited my previous post. If I can fine a decent 500, maybe 600 for a low price to learn on for the next 1-2 years, that would be great.

I'd look for a Kawi 650r, or a Suzuki SV650. They are powerful enough, without being crazy at all. They would capture your interest for a few years. You have had a intry-level bike, step UP to a good intermedeate(sp).

·
Taking my time....
536 Posts

Kinda weird that none of us caught that!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone going to the Biker Expo at Arena Park Saturday? It starts at 10 am. I don't know what to expect, but I'm setting up early in the morning, I'll have a S1000RR and a K1300S there with a few goodies like Sidi Boots and some closeout deals on Jackets.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'd look for a Kawi 650r, or a Suzuki SV650. They are powerful enough, without being crazy at all. They would capture your interest for a few years. You have had a intry-level bike, step UP to a good intermedeate(sp).
Ok, thanks, I was originally wanting a 600-650, and the ninja 650r really got my attention, but a few of you thought they would be too big, and I don't want to spend too much, since I'd probably upgrade in a few years...

I want to end up with maybe a ninja ZX6R, or a yamaha YZF-R6. Those both kinda catch my eye, but that's after I get like 3+ years more experience, because i would really hate to drop it, compared to my 200, or a ninja 500r. Lol.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Kinda weird that none of us caught that!
Lol, true, I didn't see any markings, and just assumed from the style that it was the 500, and you guys agreed. I don't know too much about bikes yet, but I think the ninja 250's before 08, look pretty similar to the 500's. I guess I just don't know the differences yet.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
As far as the sv650 goes i'm sure you wouldn't have much problem getting rid of it later on if you wanted to. Even if it got roughed up along the way, a lot of them get used as track bikes.

3641 - 3660 of 4460 Posts