Sport Bikes banner

3081 - 3100 of 4460 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
that guy was rideing the crap put of that bmw tj. maybe one day we will kick it like that with out dropping the bikes lol.

·
Registered
623 Posts
well today was ok weather wise, but now they are calling for 1 to 3 inches of snow tonight. man will summer never get hear. im going to get me a snow mobile suit this summer so i can ride all year round in good or bad weather

·
Keyser Söze
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,086
well i went out and shot the new savage today. it did what i hoped for thats for sure. i'm pretty sure this is going to be one tac driving son of a bitch. i got to get a stronger scope to shoot past 100 yards and a 20 moa mount and it's going to be on.

·
Registered
326 Posts
well today was ok weather wise, but now they are calling for 1 to 3 inches of snow tonight. man will summer never get hear. im going to get me a snow mobile suit this summer so i can ride all year round in good or bad weather
sounds good. I took the bike out for a ride yesterday, and it was still cold. Lol. I'm so ready for spring!

Oh, and I drove over to cape Friday, and looked around the bluff yesterday. I'm considering a new bike :) I found someone interested in my current one, so if he buys it, I hope to have a new bike march/April/may area, lol...

So far I found two I like, so what do you think?
2009 yamaha FZ6 - Black
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - Black, or Red

·
Sport Touring Rider
676 Posts
sounds good. I took the bike out for a ride yesterday, and it was still cold. Lol. I'm so ready for spring!

Oh, and I drove over to cape Friday, and looked around the bluff yesterday. I'm considering a new bike :) I found someone interested in my current one, so if he buys it, I hope to have a new bike march/April/may area, lol...

So far I found two I like, so what do you think?
2009 yamaha FZ6 - Black
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - Black, or Red
FZ6 FTW

I have a buddy with a 2007 FZ6 with scorpion exhaust who is trying to sell it. 6k miles and only $4,200 obo. Brand new Michelin Pilot Power tires too.

·
Registered
241 Posts
tiger you better hope on that deal, thats a good price for that bike. A great starter. Plus those scorpions make a big difference, i love em.

·
Registered
241 Posts
the 650r is faster off the line due to have more torque BUT the Fz6 is better in the higher rpms. around 7000 so if want that torque go with the 650r OR if you to fly past them down the road its the fz6 all the way.

·
Sport Touring Rider
676 Posts
the 650r is faster off the line due to have more torque BUT the Fz6 is better in the higher rpms. around 7000 so if want that torque go with the 650r OR if you to fly past them down the road its the fz6 all the way.
only if you ride both bikes the same way. If you both start at idle with the clutch out, yes the Ninja will beat it off the line. However, if you launch the FZ while holding the revs at 8k and slip the clutch, the horsepower advantage should make the difference right from the start.

The ninja has more low end grunt, the FZ6 has more horsepower.

·
Sport Touring Rider
676 Posts
how strudy is the clutch on the fz6 i heard with a good launch you can blow it out.
same clutch as a non-slipper clutch R6. Should be crazy durable. We have never changed a FZ6 clutch.

·
Taking my time....
536 Posts
My suggestion is a 06-08 650r...but I'm biased a little.
I kinda like 'em also. Good bang for the buck.

Krid, no offense intended but you are like any other person who is in the business in that you would defend/talk up whatever brand of bike you happen to sell.

The fact of the matter is that every major manufacturer of motorcycles makes a good product for the most part. Sure there are individual models that may have above average problems but every manufacturer from BMW to Yamaha experiences this. A little research can reveal which models have the most problems and all you have to do is avoid them.

Do some research and buy whatever appeals to you most. Make a list of potential bikes and check the insurance rates BEFORE you buy.

Either the FZ6 or the 650r would make a good bike to start with.

Considering your age (and I assume you aren't very large) I would look at the Ninja 250r. Insurance would be much cheaper and they hold their value VERY well.

·
Sport Touring Rider
676 Posts
Krid, no offense intended but you are like any other person who is in the business in that you would defend/talk up whatever brand of bike you happen to sell. ......

.....Either the FZ6 or the 650r would make a good bike to start with.

Considering your age (and I assume you aren't very large) I would look at the Ninja 250r. Insurance would be much cheaper and they hold their value VERY well.
Dru I know you really don't know me very well. I am not all about the sale, all about what the dealership I work for sells, and driven only by what is gonna make me money.

I work for a Yamaha dealership because I have always loved Yamaha. We also sell Polaris, KTM and Victory. I think KTM's are crazy cool but would not recommend them to someone wanting Japanese style reliabilty. Victory motorcycles are nice and I would recommend them highly because they are insanely reliable but do have a higher maintenance cost than a Yamaha Star motorcycle.

Polaris is my downfall. I really don't like Polaris ATV's. Their quality is ok but in my opinion not on par with the Japanese. Their clutching system on their cvt automatic atv's is quite outdated and seriously sub-par. They do have their strong points: their ride quality and payload is second to none, and for a serious work horse (aside from the clutch) it is quite strong. That said, I would rank atv's in this order for my ownership preference:
1. Yamaha
2. Honda
3. Kawasaki
4. Suzuki
5. Bombardier/CanAm
6. Polaris
7. Arctic Cat

So, Dru, no offense, but please don't discredit my statements based on a job I have. I will use my occupation to assist others but not to try to convince a buyer to buy "brand A" over "brand B" just because we sell "A" even if it is obviously the wrong choice.

All that aside, I agree with the last part of Dru's post. You will be happy with either the Kaw 650 or FZ6, but the Ninja 250 would probably be the best choice if you are inexperienced. And if you shop around for a used 250, you can usually buy one, ride it for a year, and make all your money back when you sell it.

EDIT: sorry, Glen just saw it was Dru

·
Sport Touring Rider
676 Posts
Sorry Glen, if you saw my reply to Dru, I mistakenly thought I was replying to you. Dru, I know you don't know me well at all, but I am not all about "the man." I like what I like regardless where I work. (Actually, I work where I work because of what I like.)

Edit: Also, I don't sell bikes, I work in service.

·
Taking my time....
536 Posts
Dru I know you really don't know me very well. I am not all about the sale, all about what the dealership I work for sells, and driven only by what is gonna make me money.

I work for a Yamaha dealership because I have always loved Yamaha. We also sell Polaris, KTM and Victory. I think KTM's are crazy cool but would not recommend them to someone wanting Japanese style reliabilty. Victory motorcycles are nice and I would recommend them highly because they are insanely reliable but do have a higher maintenance cost than a Yamaha Star motorcycle.

Polaris is my downfall. I really don't like Polaris ATV's. Their quality is ok but in my opinion not on par with the Japanese. Their clutching system on their cvt automatic atv's is quite outdated and seriously sub-par. They do have their strong points: their ride quality and payload is second to none, and for a serious work horse (aside from the clutch) it is quite strong. That said, I would rank atv's in this order for my ownership preference:
1. Yamaha
2. Honda
3. Kawasaki
4. Suzuki
5. Bombardier/CanAm
6. Polaris
7. Arctic Cat

So, Dru, no offense, but please don't discredit my statements based on a job I have. I will use my occupation to assist others but not to try to convince a buyer to buy "brand A" over "brand B" just because we sell "A" even if it is obviously the wrong choice.

All that aside, I agree with the last part of Dru's post. You will be happy with either the Kaw 650 or FZ6, but the Ninja 250 would probably be the best choice if you are inexperienced. And if you shop around for a used 250, you can usually buy one, ride it for a year, and make all your money back when you sell it.

EDIT: sorry, Glen just saw it was Dru
Dirk, I was hoping you would clarify your position and you did so quite nicely. You are certainly the exception and not the norm and I believe you would agree with me. :cheers

The local BMW dealership in Cape would have you believe that there is no other motorcycle worth owning besides a BMW. I truly believe the owner/staff would have the same position if they were selling Ducati, Aprilia, or any other European boutique brand.

There are very few bikes that work well for a beginner and the Ninja 250 certainly ranks near the top of that short list. Reliable, cheap to operate, fairly quick and gets killer fuel mileage.

Check Craigslist as you can usually find a ton of them for sale.

3081 - 3100 of 4460 Posts