Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for a person who never road before but wants to use his bike as daily commuter. How long ie months of practice riding around before you guys suggest they start doing the daily trek?

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Foto can answer that one better than anyone else

·
Registered
517 Posts
Just do it...if you think about it...how long before you started driving <cage> on the street?

·
Female Butt Lover!!
3,640 Posts
Yeah...just do it! Once you start, you will get into a pattern of the best roads to take and those to avoid...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i went to another website and they made it seem like i would be dead in days if i went to fast or something. I told them I was thinking about the cbr 600 f3 and some said starting on a 600 isn't bad if you respect the bike and do not become a speed freak. Others made it seem like you are bound to kill yourself on 600 unless you start on 500cc first

·
They call me a ride whore
1,387 Posts
When I first got my bike, it was my first and I'd never rode before on the street, and on my 3rd day with it I started riding it on my 50 mile/day commute in both morning and evening rush hour traffic. My friend who also rides was really worried about me cuz he throught I was moving way too fast starting in with traffic and stuff so soon, and he was probably right, but I felt comfortable with it and went my own pace, so I just took it easy and changed my route home (no I-95!). 8 months and 25k miles later, never did have a problem! :)

Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying everybody should just jump right into traffic as soon as they start riding, cuz I know a few people that definitely shouldn't!! hahah It just depends on how well you take to riding and everything... if it seems to come natural and you start off really good, more than likely you'll be fine and good to go in no time. But use your own judgement, practice for awile in an open area with no or little traffic just to get used to it and see how it goes and how you feel. If you don't feel perfectly comfortable going into heavier traffic yet, then just wait awile and get more practice until you feel comfortable with more traffic.

·
Banned
383 Posts
Start on the bike you like and take it easy, most important take the MSF course you will learn quite a bit.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am hoping to take the MSF course before summers end. I want to do this entire thing right, i mean i don't take riding a bike lightly at all so i figure do it, do it right.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HamG yeah i pmed him and no response (shrugs)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
For me it was like this:

Failed MSF (learned how to ride a bicycle only a month before)
25 miles of practicing on my Ninja on the quiet streets, then jumped into traffic
60 miles before my first night ride, this time with another rider
500+ before I got on the highway for a full ride - to South Beach on a windy night, no less, lol
2000 before my first passenger
30,000+ miles and still alive and frickin' kickin' :banana

When you feel up to it, you will know. DON'T push yourself and DON'T ride in a hurry - I was late for work a few times so I started getting up earlier to be able to take my time with no pressure. Now, of course, I'm back to leaving with 20 minutes till clock-in time, and I'm 15 miles away :phatyo

As long as you've been driving down here for a while, and don't let yourself get in over your head, you'll be fine. When you get your bike, let me know. I don't mind riding with a beginner and have helped a few people out with their parking lot practice sessions.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
foto,

good lookin out, i would appreciate it!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
chonch but don't you think thats a bit much for someone 100% new to the riding scene? I sat on a bike once when i was younger so id ont think that even qualifies ;)

·
Female Butt Lover!!
3,640 Posts
Chinygyal said:
Hello ! McFly!! I told him that already :bitchslap

Ummm...you didn't tell him that in this thread... :bitchslap

1 - 20 of 68 Posts