Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Making Horizons Vertical
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2006 Yamaha Road Star Warrior. I know its not a sportbike but it sorta is one. It has a 1.7 liter in it and is only 600 lbs. It has decent ground clearance too. I've only ridden a friends 04 zx6r for bout an hour. For the first motorized bike i ever rode that was a rush!

Now.. I know its a big bike n all but I want to get a bike i wont have to resell in 6 months and my father wants to commute with it because his truck gets horrible gas mileage. Being reasonable would it be possible to learn how to ride on that monster? The fact that it is so stable and cant wheelie if u try. Let me know if u think this is a bad idea and if u have any suggestion as to what I should get. Thanks

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
hell I wouldn't care....that bike is sssscccwwweeeeeeeeeeeeettttt!!!

·
Making Horizons Vertical
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea but it's a lot harder because of the long wheelbase.

·
Making Horizons Vertical
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its funny this bike can destroy liter bikes off the line... but once the liter bikes get into the hp range and tq doesnt matter anymore they start to catch up. Stock times are low 12's. 80hp and 100 lb/ft at the wheel. Yea the Midnight Black color is fuckin beautiful.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
My buddy has one. Sweet bike, but he claims that he only gets 90 or so miles out of a tank. If that's the case, you might need to come up with a reason other than saving on gas to justify buying it.

I wouldn't consider it a great beginner's bike either. If you want a cruiser style bike, good gas mileage, cheap insurance, and something good to learn on, you want to go under 1,000cc. On the other hand, for commuting (especially on the highway) you will want to be over 600cc for passing power. Honda 750 or a Suzuki Boulevard C-50 (800cc) would both be good choices. My Dad's got the C-50 and it's pretty nice. Get's good mileage, has decent pickup, and only costs him around $340/yr. for insurance.

·
Registered
994 Posts
You could do it, but it's not worth it.
If you make a mistake and that 600 lbs stars heading for the ground what will you do?
If you take a corner too sharp and slow and it falls in and you crack the throttle too much to pick it up, that bike will bite you.
If you make a mistake on a downshift, you will loose rear tire traction in a heartbeat.
It's safer than getting a GSXR750 for a first bike, but it's still not the best bet.

Make you dad ride the Katana, or get a beater for 6 months and then get the warior.

·
20,852 Posts
ohhh the C-50 is sweet also.

·
Making Horizons Vertical
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
very true ghost rider. Do you know if it is possible to take advantage of employee discount if a good friend is a mechanic at a dealership? Thats the deal at Yamaha. He says he can get me it for his price, but i dont know if hes telling the truth.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
OFFICER737 said:
ohhh the C-50 is sweet also.

Especially for the price. I saw them in pics on the net and wasn't tremendously impressed, but when he brought it home I had to admit that it's a sweet looking bike.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
I nearly traded in my SV for that bike. My buddy was buying his VTX1300, and I spent 4 or 5 hours in the dealer drooling over a new one, and a used one that had all the stuff I wanted on it, for half the price of the new one.

Thought about it (for weeks) and decided I wasn't old enough to own a cruiser yet. :)

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
TRaGiK said:
Thought about it (for weeks) and decided I wasn't old enough to own a cruiser yet. :)

I know how you feel. We might not be old enough to ONLY own a cruiser, but we're old enough to have one for a second bike! :D

·
Registered
377 Posts
I say go for it, my bike weighs close to 600lbs wet, and its a VFR, not to mention its a 86 and is a bitch to ride.

·
20,852 Posts
crx81 said:
Especially for the price. I saw them in pics on the net and wasn't tremendously impressed, but when he brought it home I had to admit that it's a sweet looking bike.

One of the other officers I work with is in the process of saveing to a new C-50. He is halfway there! I told him when he is ready to call me and I will drive him down to pick it up. The bikes look way better in person!! They are comfy too. I smell a 2nd bike.....LOL

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
That bike is DAMN sweet. I wouldn't mind having it myself.

As for starting out on it though, cruiser or not, a smaller bike would be more appropriate. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that its not in your best interest.

Get 500cc cruiser that's a few years old - it'll cost a lot less to buy, cost less to repair WHEN you dump it, cost less to insure, AND you're old man can still commute on it.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
That's not a beginner bike in any sense. Too heavy, too much power, and too much torque. Many will say it'll be ok if you control your right wrist, but new riders usually don't have throttle control down yet.

·
Resident Freak
1,637 Posts
I think you should go for it. I've ridden the Warrior and I found it to be very docile, well-balanced, predictable and easy to maneuver. It'll rip if you want it to, but in all it's a very easy bike to ride.

·
Making Horizons Vertical
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for your replies. Im gonna try one out sometime soon. My father's friend has an 02 warrior. When I read all of the reviews many of the magazines said exactly what you said Drifter. Its an easy bike to just cruise on, but has the power to go extremely fast. I've checked out some warrior forums and it seems how you ride it is in relation to the mpg you get. As with most engines. Some say they get 45mpg and some say they get 20. If you go fast all the time its gonna get shitty mpg but if u cruise around and twist the throttle every once in a while you can avg decent mpg.

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
That whole front end looks like its lifted from an R1.

Pretty cool concept for a cruiser... take some parts from a sportbike and drop a gigantic v twin in there.

·
It's good to B-King
3,290 Posts
dubbs693 said:
Thanks for your replies. Im gonna try one out sometime soon. My father's friend has an 02 warrior. When I read all of the reviews many of the magazines said exactly what you said Drifter. Its an easy bike to just cruise on, but has the power to go extremely fast. I've checked out some warrior forums and it seems how you ride it is in relation to the mpg you get. As with most engines. Some say they get 45mpg and some say they get 20. If you go fast all the time its gonna get shitty mpg but if u cruise around and twist the throttle every once in a while you can avg decent mpg.
Easy to cruise on is different than easy to learn on, especially coming from people who have ridden many hundreds or thousands of different bikes and have logged many 10's of thousands of miles on a motorcycle. It might be easy for them, but that's because they have experience and forget what it is like to be a newbie on a motorcycle.

For a newbie, that is a heavy bike. 600 lbs doesn't sound like much more than 400 lbs, but it is quite a lot - especially when you try to pick it up after you have dropped it. Why not let your Dad get his own bike and you get something smaller/used to learn on. That way you don't have to worry about him cracking it up and there won't be any fighting over it. Only one person can pilot the bike at a time.

And this bike is in no way 'sorta a sportbike' - it is a cruiser with a big engine.

If you think you are going to have to resell a bike in 6 months because you have 'outgrown it', it being your first bike and all, you are either a prodigous learner, or have a lot to learn.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts