Sport Bikes banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm aiming to buy a 2004 Ninja 500R for my first bike in two weeks when I move back to southwestern OH from Phoenix, AZ.

I'm looking into this as a primary means of transportation due to rising gas costs, and the fact that the 8600 miles I drove a little 120 cc scooter to school and back everyday this past year out here in AZ has made me want to graduate to a b***** (but not yet a 600cc) bike. I sold my towncar and got the scooter to save on gas, and I fell in love with riding something with two wheels.

My questions come in the form of restrictions on permit holders in OH. I'd call the DMV, but it's the weekend, and this is something I'm hoping to get figured out before Monday morning (so I can go ahead with the financing if I can).

My job will put me traveling to work around 1 pm and heading home 10 to 11 pm, and it is accesbile without highway travel. I've never rode a bike on the highway (my buddies have tempted me, but I've been to scared to hop on my friends GSX750, and rightuflly so). I figure I can't drive on the highway with a permit, but is there any law about riding at night with a permit? I've rode my scooter back every night after 10 pm, so night riding wouldn't be new to me, outside the bike being an actual motorcycle, which is a whole new thing to me. If there's a law, how sctrictly is it enforced?

I really want to hop on this deal and get this bike when I get back, b/c it's that or finance a car (and I can't add any debt that large to my student loans), but if night riding is going to be an issue, I need to explore other options as my initial vehicle purchase when I get back.

Can anyone give me any info or input? Is there a limit you have to have your permit before you can take an MSF course or the DMV test and get your endorsement? Could one possibly get around the no-night-riding deal?

Any help woud be apprecaited.

Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well the restrictions for having a temps license in OH, state that you cannot ride on the highway, you cannot carry a passenger, and you cannot ride at night. Anything else is fair game.

Best course of action to take is to go and get your permit and then do a MSF course. After those three days are up and you pass, you get your license and don't have to bother with those damn restrictions anymore.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Yeah dude, just go get your license and don't worry about it!`

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, good deal.

I was misinformed by a buddy, and was under the impression I had to ride with a permit for so long before I could get an endorsement. Now I just need to find an MSF course that's within reasonable difference that's not booked up for the next twelve weeks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
you could do that, or you could just go and get the bike, and then take the test..My buddy did that. Only took him one week of practice to pass the test.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah just go get your license. The MSF course is booked all the way till next february, at least where im at. So I say get some practice and get your endorsement. Thats what im working on now. U can always go to the MSF course later and get a discount on your insurance, which if U havent seen the prices for you should check out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What kinds of things should I practice for the DMV endorsement once I get my bike? Swerving, stopping, a continuous figure-8, what? Or would it be easier to take it a week or two after riding, see how I fair, and practice from what I bombed on the actual test?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would try after a week of riding or so..then you will have something to look forward to. But as far as I know, you have to do a few 90 degree turns, swerving, and stoping..

·
Registered
539 Posts
Any of you guys trying to get MSF in the military?

·
It's good to B-King
3,290 Posts
Are going to have a car for backup? Remember, we do get snow and ice here. Not good on a motorcycle. I've ridden in some really cold (10-15 degree weather) and that isn't fun either, even when it is dry.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got a little 91 Ranger as a beater for when the weather's bad. Believe it or not, it does get cold out here in the dessert, too (although there's rain like 10 days a year and you don't see snow or ice unless you head north to Flagstaff). At night riding home sometimes it was nearly 30 degrees; granted that's not as cold as an Ohio winter, but it's cold all the same. As long as I had the face shield on my helmet, and made sure my gloves were up in my sleeves and I had an extra windbreaker on underneath my jacket tucked into my pants, I was fine.

But yes, I have ocnsidered a backup vehicle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts