Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Someone please tell why I shouldn't get dirt bike gear

I really started thinking today about a jacket and pants for protection and I saw a commercial for Red Bull with Travis Pastrana doing all kinds of backflips and stuff and got to wondering, why not wear dirt bike gear instead of a jacket and pants with so so padding. I mean when I looked at some of the stuff....

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/Department.aspx?Department=208&Division=2

.. I got to thinking why not get a pair of elbow and knee protection that I can wear over my jeans and t-shirt and take off whenever I want.. and a chest protector that is made out of molded plastic.. I mean it really does look more protective then a jacket with CE armor in it... and I'm sure I would stay cooler also. And the stuff is way cheaper also. I can't think of one thing.. well.. except for the fact that I might look stupid wearing it? But that's about all that I can think of. Please advise.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
Look into Icon field armor. I've got the leg protectors. Great for under jeans. I only use it if I'm riding to the mall or the movies and don't want to be walking around with full gear. I will eventually get all of it, but mostly for under rain gear in the summer. It's just too hot to have my full gear on AND rain gear on top of that. The only thing Icon doesn't have is any type of arm protection, so I will most likely go the dirt gear route for that.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
You'll look stupid wearing it.

Also, it will take you ages to put it all on every time... which means, you won't wear it.

Did I mention you'll look stupid?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Dirtbike gear isn't rated to the abrasive "quality" of asphalt. Impact wise it would probably do just as good as road gear, but rubbing on pavement it would last about as long as jeans.........

Jay's got a good point as well :lao

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Heck, give me one good reason to not wear a BEAR SUIT on my bike?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Too bad no one has invented the Robotech Cyclone yet...

Here's a pic in case you guys don't know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Binary Jay said:
Heck, give me one good reason to not wear a BEAR SUIT on my bike?

Just like Taurus674, you would look stupid too...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
f5nix said:
Too bad no one has invented the Robotech Cyclone yet...

Here's a pic in case you guys don't know what I'm talking about.

Oh man talk about flashbacks.. that is my all time favorite Japanese anime.... better then transformers or Go-Bots ........ I remember those bikes being the coolest thing.. next to the planes of course.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
crx81 said:
Look into Icon field armor. I've got the leg protectors. Great for under jeans.......The only thing Icon doesn't have is any type of arm protection, so I will most likely go the dirt gear route for that.
http://www.rideicon.com/FLASH_index.jsp

I found the field armor and i think I'm going to get the armor vest and the armor leg. It is kinda weird that they don't have any arm/elbow protection. But the prices are right and it seems to offer more protection which I was looking for. Thanks CRX81

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Look into airbag suits. It inflates when you get discharged off the bike and gives you an air cushion at impact.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Just how fragile are you, with all of this talk of field armor and airbag suits I'm picturing Mr. Burns by now.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Safety, Gear & Experience.

The roads ARE a rat race these days. But with that said, it seems alot of people have a insecurity about riding their motorcycle. Talk about over geared.
Motorcycling is a risk. If you wreck your car on a regular basis, wreck your bicycle regularly or bust yourself up snow skiing, you are the one who knows how accident prone you are. COMMON SENSE is key. Defensive driving. Some people can go all their lives without getting in a accident, while others can't seem to stay out of them.
New motorcyle buyers are buying big fast motorcyles for their first bike without dirtbike experience, or any kind of motorcyle experience for that matter.
For a safe riding experience streetbike riding HAS to be second nature.
Learning on todays freeways & twisties with 100 horsepower is tough.
I believe riding dirtbikes is invaluable for competent riding skills.
Having to get my motorcycle endorsement again, I was amazed at some people dog paddling through the rider course. Scary stuff!

If your new to motorcycling, gear up. You'll probably go down sooner or later.
If your acomplished, a basic helmet, boots, gloves & jeans are sufficient.
I sure would recommend street gear for street & dirt gear for dirt-duh...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Binary Jay said:
Just how fragile are you, with all of this talk of field armor and airbag suits I'm picturing Mr. Burns by now.
The sound of skin grafts and broken bones scare me. I've laid the bike down before. It torn through my jeans, the thermals and sweat pants that I was wearing that faithful day in February of '02. and I was only going 15 mph in a turn when I hit some oil. My knee is kinda screwed up... a piece of my knee cap broke off, and I got a nasty scar to prove it. Hey I see people rollerblading get some nasty road rash just b/c they fell down. And they got elbow/knee/hand protection to boot. So am I fragile... not the least bit... but I am a bit paranoid tho.

·
Registered
853 Posts
taurus574 said:
The sound of skin grafts and broken bones scare me. I've laid the bike down before. It torn through my jeans, the thermals and sweat pants that I was wearing that faithful day in February of '02. and I was only going 15 mph in a turn when I hit some oil. My knee is kinda screwed up... a piece of my knee cap broke off, and I got a nasty scar to prove it. Hey I see people rollerblading get some nasty road rash just b/c they fell down. And they got elbow/knee/hand protection to boot. So am I fragile... not the least bit... but I am a bit paranoid tho.
That is exactly why dirt gear won't work. Dirt gear is made for impact and minor abrasion. Street gear is designed for the black cheese grater that awaits us if we screw up and after watching racers get up after a 100 mph slide I believe it works.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I concur on the dirt stuff for street... it just can't handle the abrasion and is a PITA to put on and off. It takes me 25 minutes to get suited up to ride off road. Of course I am wearing the whole nine yards. When I just bought my road stuff I leaned towards easy to wear. I bought a JR Phoenix mesh jacket and some solid pants. I just throw the stuff over my shorts and t-shirt and off I go... it is cool and comfortable and offers adequate, but not excellent protection. Other than the ursa suit, not much is going to protect you from broken bones if the fall is hard enough. Think abrasion resistance and bruise protection. When you start getting into broken bone scenarios you'd need too much protection to be practical. The exception might be your collarbones, which a little shoulder padding might save. I hope this helps.

Regards,
Ward

·
Registered
341 Posts
taurus574 said:
Oh man talk about flashbacks.. that is my all time favorite Japanese anime.... better then transformers or Go-Bots ........ I remember those bikes being the coolest thing.. next to the planes of course.
Better than transformers? SUCH BLASPHEMY!

·
Registered
341 Posts
In regards to this thread. Dont go the way of dirt bike gear. If you are going to wear anything, wear the jersey around. This gives you no protection though. I have full dirt bike gear and it is a pain in the ass to put on. I have the boots, pants, chest protector, jersey, gloves, and obvioiusly a helmet. If anything just get a good jacket to wear, thats what i did.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
Maxxacceleration said:
If your new to motorcycling, gear up. You'll probably go down sooner or later.
If your acomplished, a basic helmet, boots, gloves & jeans are sufficient.
Yes, because we all know that acomplished riders never go down. Even if they do, their bones are thicker and their skin is rash proof. Oh, and old ladies only pull out in front of new riders, because new riders are harder to see. :rolleyes

1 - 20 of 25 Posts