Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sharing the progress of the bike during this offseason. Last day it was ridden was sometime back in November for a brief street ride on a weird 50+ degree day with no salt on the road. Last time on track was the beginning of October. :-(

Parked Motorcycle Syndrome is real and in full effect. So in addition to doing normal maintenance stuff (changes of belts, oil, Engine Ice, and brake/clutch fluids), I've been doing mods that I'd meant to do over the last couple of seasons but never was motivated enough to buy/do. Main goal for this offseason is to make the bike as reliable on the track as it's been on the road. A few electrical and mechanical issues robbed me of a lot of productive track time this past season.

Stripped and ready to start:

Upgraded starter/battery wiring & connections from MotoElectric, upgraded voltage rectifier/regulator by ElectroSport, fresh NGK plugs and fresh OEM coils...

Cox radiator guard and oil cooler guard (installs with bodywork), with fresh RJL-XX pads..

PC Racing reusable billet oil filter...

Samco coolant hoses, Cox engine case chain guard, and CDT air runner..

Rizoma clear vertical belt cover with fresh belts/tension, and right side CDT air runner ...

Spiegler rear line with Galfer pads..

And then some random boredom stuff like painting the tail antidraft to match the reds on the bike, and hand polishing the stainless exhaust collectors and muffler piping...

With still less than 2 months before the first track outing of the year, bike is pretty much back together. Just waiting on the new rotors and track fairings. The return to COTA can't come soon enough....

-Christian

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
Sweet. I'm impressed that you can do all of the work yourself. How did you learn? I can change the oil and brake pads and that sort of thing, but installing new lines and bleeding makes me scared that I will do it wrong and end up in a hedge.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Haha you have been bored! Looks good. Still a few months until I can hit the track myself.
Lol, yep. Thanks, man.

Ugh, track withdrawals suck pretty bad.

Sweet. I'm impressed that you can do all of the work yourself. How did you learn? I can change the oil and brake pads and that sort of thing, but installing new lines and bleeding makes me scared that I will do it wrong and end up in a hedge.
Honestly never really did anything more than a few bolt-on mods to the 250R and GSX-R600 when I had them. Both were gone before I'd put enough miles/wear to need to do fluids or pads.

Model specific forums, YouTube, and the factory maintenemce manual have allowed me to do everything so far. Not sure I'd tackle an engine rebuild, but if I had the funds to have a good used engine waiting to go in just in case, I think I'd be willing to attempt a rebuild and/or DucShop 1040 kit on the current engine.

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
I would be terrified of doing that and blowing up the motor.

I really need to get something old, cheap and abuseable and learn to do this stuff on that. A Ducati would be to frightening to me because of the downside of screwing up and having to pay to get it right.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Old 2-stroke mopeds and dirt bikes are cheap and easy way to learn what to do and what not to do. At least that's how i learned how to break engines. Bleeding brakes is easy, Haynes service and repair manuals have good enough instructions about how to do it.

I'm jealous about that Ducati.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
As usual, your bike is quite the specimen...and you ride it like you're supposed to ride it.

My poor 999 is all depressed after I took the computer to the garage and showed it what it could be if I was a better owner...

:)

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Seeing all of this makes me want to take my bike apart right now and do some work on her. Lord knows that she needs it.

Edit: I really hope that you NEVER sell this bike. Because i don't know of any possible buyer that would take care of her half as much as you have.

·
Are we not men?
9,005 Posts
Jeez Christian, that's pure bike pron!

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would be terrified of doing that and blowing up the motor.

I really need to get something old, cheap and abuseable and learn to do this stuff on that. A Ducati would be to frightening to me because of the downside of screwing up and having to pay to get it right.
That's how I probably should've learned first, lol. The motivation to learn on this bike was some of the high dealer costs to bring it in.

Pretty sure I wouldn't do an engine build myself, now that I think about it. If it goes I'm definitely doing the big bore kit, and that's going to involve tolerences, timing, and tuning. I'm not quite that confident in my learn-on-the-fly abilities, haha.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Old 2-stroke mopeds and dirt bikes are cheap and easy way to learn what to do and what not to do. At least that's how i learned how to break engines. Bleeding brakes is easy, Haynes service and repair manuals have good enough instructions about how to do it.

I'm jealous about that Ducati.
^THIS. Cheap & easy to work on bikes plus the wealth of knowledge in various manuals is the best way to boost confidence in the nitty-gritty. As far as brake bleeding goes, if I make it thru T3 at BIR (T1 & T2 can be taken at/near full stick, so you're pulling out of 2 above 130+ and accelerating until your T3 brake markers) than the bleed was a success!!!

^_^

Kidding. I octuple (is that a word??) check brake lines before heading anywhere.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
As usual, your bike is quite the specimen...and you ride it like you're supposed to ride it.

My poor 999 is all depressed after I took the computer to the garage and showed it what it could be if I was a better owner...

:)
Ha! One of us two have an iconic bike (HINT: It isn't me). Yours is awesome as is, man. I just have to add a bunch of stuff to make it somewhat relevant. :)

I appreciate it! Can't go adding to the Ducati stereotype by blinging the thing to kingdom come and can't/don't actually ride it where it (and most of the added parts) were intended to be used in the first place!

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seeing all of this makes me want to take my bike apart right now and do some work on her. Lord knows that she needs it.

Edit: I really hope that you NEVER sell this bike. Because i don't know of any possible buyer that would take care of her half as much as you have.
I say get on it if the time/funds allow it, man. Nothing ups the confidence more than knowing the bike is as well maintained as it can be. :)

You don't know what that means to me. :,-) I've had a couple of close calls where I almost gave up on the bike and riding altogether. You all here, and freinds repeatedly let me know how big a mistake it would be to let this one go. Thank you!!

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jeez Christian, that's pure bike pron!
Thank you, sir!! Should be quite the 'understated' looker on track once the new fairings come in. Hopefully I don't freeze up and tool around at "first trackday ever" pace once the season gets here and I'm actually pulling up to pit entrance to go out, lol.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
As usual, I am spreading the KY-jealousy all over myself at your bike.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And sorry about the multiple replies. Tried to use multi-quote twice on the iPhixYourSentencesForYou5 and it crashed the page and blanked my replies out.

Also got something street related today. Went with a new taillight design from TST Industries, as my current Comp Werkes tail is losing LED's and I'm not that electronically motivated to replace the bulbs. :-/ Never heard of them up until a few weeks ago when they came on the .org forum to promote their new 848/1x98 product line. Had to bite, and glad I did. Thing is quality. Complete plug & play. Visually mimics the rear vents of the tail fairing.

-Christian

1 - 20 of 33 Posts