Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was in the paper this morning associated with Ducati releasing their new 999R ($30K msrp, 300 units/year) at Laguna Seca this weekend. :cool:

Total US bike sales (all makes) for 2003 were 996,000 units. 20% of those were in CA (I've been wondering about these numbers for some time). Ducati sells 6-8,000 bikes per year in the US, 25% in CA. Ducati's 3 largest markets are Italy, US, and Japan. They also have apparently made an offer to buy Aprillia.

On a related note, I've noticed from watching posts that some areas of the country don't seem to have the concentration of bike shops that we have here in CA (both dealerships and independent parts/service places). Honda lists 10 official dealers within 30 miles of where I work. A little competition never hurts.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think there are maybe 2 or 3 withing 30 miles of my work. I wish there was some competition around here. Maybe get prices a little lower

·
Premium Member
14,141 Posts
Ducati dealers here in chicago are hard to find.. i think there might be 2.. .. but it isnt the cheapest brand to go into either

·
Registered
646 Posts
Where did you get those stats from? I'd liked to know more about this.
AHHH...999R. yes sir, sign me up for one.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
isn't the 999R the one the one you have to be on a list for and that is only if you have bought a 749 in 04? if its the bike I am thinking of, it is going to be sweet as hell.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Flash6R said:
Where did you get those stats from? I'd liked to know more about this.
AHHH...999R. yes sir, sign me up for one.
The total sales numbers were quoted from the "Motorcycle Industry Council". The Ducati numbers came from them. Another stat from Ducati is that the US is 20% of their total world market (Italy must be "huge"). Bike sales numbers for individual makers are really hard to come by. I wonder what info the Council makes public?

Yes, I wouldn't mind a 999R either. A little out of my league in many ways, though.

·
Banned
730 Posts
There are few dealers in the immediate Dayton area for damn near any make. Probably none that can do real mods to ANYTHING besides Harley's. I'd like to find a shop that can do a REAL alignment (not just using iffy hash marks on the swingarm) and a proper suspension set-up. I can't find them if they're around. Around here, sportbike mods are flush-mounts and chrome. Anything else and they want to know if you think you're King Kenny Roberts. :rolleyes:

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
vuu16v said:
There are few dealers in the immediate Dayton area for damn near any make. Probably none that can do real mods to ANYTHING besides Harley's. I'd like to find a shop that can do a REAL alignment (not just using iffy hash marks on the swingarm) and a proper suspension set-up. I can't find them if they're around. Around here, sportbike mods are flush-mounts and chrome. Anything else and they want to know if you think you're King Kenny Roberts. :rolleyes:
We're really spoiled. In addition to tons of dealers and independent service places, there are at least 2 really good suspension shops in the area that I can think of - Lindeman and Aftershocks. Both keep really busy with fork and rear shock upgrades.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
jtoker13 said:
I think there are maybe 2 or 3 withing 30 miles of my work. I wish there was some competition around here. Maybe get prices a little lower
I am not so much worried about the prices. I care about service. Local service seems to be lacking expert at one Honda dealer. Doesn't help my Yamaha much, though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts