Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to title my truck in my name and get my own insurance policy. I made 1 small claim on my truck 3 years ago (put it in a ditch). There was no other vehicles, or police involved. I also wrecked a bike a year ago, once again, no other vehicles or police involved. Would a different insurance carrier know about those events? I'm not talking about lying to them, I'm just curious if it's something they need to know about since it was a claim for just my vehicle and it didn't involve anyone else. Is there a database on drivers for driving records, kinda like credit bureau's for credit? Trying to get everything figured out before I go for my own insurance.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
If you made a claim, then there is a record of it. The question of concern is - are they comprehensive or collision claims?

Comprehensive claims Should* not affect your rates
Collision claim will can and will affect your rates

*Should - meaning that this is an act of vandalism, or theft, or "my bike fell over while parked" type of claim. but they are not sposed to raise your rates for claims that are not "your fault" however, usually they find a reason to.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
You age is also going to hurt you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
comprehensive and collision claims can show up on your record, companies are now using databases to keep up with claims. Whether or not the insurance companies you use have decided to use these databases is the question.

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
At 20 years old you are probably going to take it in the shorts. Since you are going to have to pay a bunch you can either go to a cut-rate insurance agent - and save 10 bucks - or someone respectable in your own home town who will give you good service for your money.

Until I got my current job and left the area I grew up in, I used the same small town insurance company for years. It was great, they knew be by name and worked hard to get me the best deal. Later, when I would add or drop a vehicle, I could do it over the phone and then go in and settle the paperwork a day or two later. They were so decent to me when I go home I stop in and say "hi."

People bitch a lot about insurance companies but if you have a good agent things will go better.

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I did an online Geico quote, and under my name, with only listing the ticket, it was 1275 a year for my truck for the exact coverage I have with State Farm for 2600 a year. Now, my bike claim had ZERO affect on my rates, and my truck claim did 15% increase on my truck rate (it's gone in October tho, been 3 years). Do the math, I'm still paying more with the truck in my DAD's name and me as primary driver.

On a side note, anyone have experience with an insurance broker? How's it work? How much does it usually cost?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts