Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought you guys might be interested in hearing some of the more official rumors.... This was just posted by Eric Wood over on New England Streetriders. Eric is a very prominent figure in roadracing in the North East and a very reliable source. He's also the owner of Woodcraft, a terrific homegrown local company that supports riders/racers.

Many racetrack rumors floating around....I've been to a number of different sites in the past year.

NYST - Obviously this one is happening. Lots of potential. The progression to a facility with full infastructure will likely take at least 12 months. I rode the track and gave them suggestions for some small layout changes (that I think would make a big difference), ways to handle track entry & exit (which have not been addressed), and tree clearing / safety barriers.

Thompson, CT - There was a road course here in the 70's that they are looking into rekindling. I've been to the facility and offered input. Strong likelihood of this becoming a reality over the next year or so.

Lempster, NH - Approved road course ready to go, ownership group seeking funding to get things going. I've been to the facility and walked the course and offered input. They are halfway funded now, and the project is not crazy money - so I put it in the "more likely than not" category for the end of 2013.

Lempster and Thompson have been keeping things relatively quiet....which is a strategy I respect. No announcements until they are 100% sure that it's a reality. This is a refreshing change from some of the things I have seen in the past.

Loudon, NH - Possible updates to road course, expanding the present layout to 2.0 miles. My guess here is that this is a 50-50 chance. We could also be looking at a repave in the coming years.

Palmer, MA & Tamworth, NH - both projects look too expensive to be practical, and both have factors that may make it tough for bikes even if they do get built.

Lots of good stuff here on every front.

I'll be hitting up NYST next year with Motorcycle Track Days in NH and NJ. We're confirmed to have 4 days booked next year.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
I'm particularly interested in NYST as well. I've heard from a few people that rode it and they mentioned about the trees and lack of safety barriers so it's great news to hear that these issues will be addressed.

One more to add to the rumor list is Pocono. I know with the history of this track and staff's attitude it's left a sour taste to a lot of riders that have been there in the past but since the previous owner (Doc Mattioli) passed away last year his grandson who has now been left in charge has been making several improvements and plans for the future including repaving the full infield course. Hopefully the track clubs will come back to this one as it's practically in my backyard.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I just hope that one of these tracks actually becomes a race track (without a rediculous noise limit).

A little further south, there's the track near Reading, PA. It has the money to back it, just seems bogged down in litigation.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I just hope that one of these tracks actually becomes a race track (without a rediculous noise limit).

A little further south, there's the track near Reading, PA. It has the money to back it, just seems bogged down in litigation.
It's a shame all the red tape that they're going through to get this going. Me and Sandy (kirchnsr) took a tour of the grounds with Marco Sanna last year. It looks like it should be pretty awesome.

They have a facebook group that they update periodically (not that there's been much to update). Log In | Facebook

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NYST is hoping to be able to host race organizations starting in 2014. What the likelihood of that is, I don't know but I was under the impression that it's fairly good.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I've been following the progress at NYST, saw the videos on youtube and so far the track looks great! A very nice layout with a good mix of turns and elevation changes. I will hopefully go to the first motorcycle trackday there in the spring.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
I will be hitting up NYST a bunch next year as it's half the distance NJMP is for me. Thompson would be very interesting, as it's 45 min from me right now.

·
Registered
213 Posts
NYST is hoping to be able to host race organizations starting in 2014. What the likelihood of that is, I don't know but I was under the impression that it's fairly good.
They presented the track to the local planning board as being a safety training facility, that would operate three days a week with 10 to 20 riders a week, they would provide the 250-cc motorcycles, and there would be no race orgainizations. Of course this is all B.S., but they had the advantage that the excavation contract had been awarded to the vice chairman of the planning board. So they got their approvals with pretty much no questions asked. Good news for us NY riders, but it's amazing that projects that have much less potential for issues about noise and traffic get held up for years, and these guys sailed right through. More power to them.

Essential Information | Harpersfield Motorcycle Safety Track

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I heard part of what Jamie posted above. I read some place that they may end up with a ridiculously low noise limit. If you've priced a Buell exhaust, you can understand my concern.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
This is good news. I may not be in the NE currently, but may be looking at going to law school up there starting 2014!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts