Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this pisses me off. flew up to dc to see my girlfriend for the weekend. we went to the renaissance festival in maryland.

my girlfriend pulls out my phone to check the time, puts it back in her purse and 30 mins later when we walk out to leave, it's not in her purse.

i try to locate it on my icloud, it's not showing up, i call it and it goes directly to voicemail.

so now my options are, pay full price for a new phone, which will be at least $250, buy a phone off ebay or other vendor, break my contract, resign and get a phone at a discount price.

so what i did was pull out my old 3G phone, added that to my account so i don't have to come out of pocket for some douchebag thief.

i don't understand why someone would steal an iphone. it's obvious this person stole my phone, turned it off and either threw it away to be an asshole or is going to wait awhile before turning it back on to try and wipe it and sell it and hopefully i don't get the alert my phone was back online. but to my understanding, as soon as it's plugged into itunes, it won't work since i reported it as stolen and it will not go back onto the carrier's network.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Why? Because it's worth money. Anything worth money will get stolen.

Case in point: Thieves stealing copper lines and wiring out of abandoned houses and on build sites to sell for drug/alcohol money

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but from what i gathered from the at&t rep (who was very helpful and seemed to know what he was talking about) is that it can't be used again.

i don't know all the ins and outs of cell phones, nor do i care to, but if you steal a phone that can't be used again, what good is it?

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
somebody store states iPhone, she tracked it down to a house, cops rolled and asked for it back out they were going to get a search warrant. they gave it up, said they found it....out of net purse and tried to jailbreak it out something.

older couple even, not kids

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
At the very least? Parts. Some idiot will buy an iPhone off of craigslist if it's priced for $100 without checking first.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
understood.

it just pisses me off someone steals someone else's shit. i never understood it. damn punks.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Non-phone functions should still work. I thought those things were just iPods with phones in them. The iPod should still work fine, shouldn't it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
but from what i gathered from the at&t rep (who was very helpful and seemed to know what he was talking about) is that it can't be used again.
It can be. There is a database for stolen phones, but few carriers really honor it - espeically overseas carriers.

Smartphone thefts are driving up street crime, so NYC and other cities are pushing for manufacturers to include a non-overridable way to brick the phone if it is ever stolen - this would dry up any demand for stolen phones.

Unfortunately, it's not that easy and current methods of bricking the phone are easily defeated.

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
Please explain how? My sister in law lost her iphone and we were not able to track it...
We used someone's else's iPhone that had the app downloaded to their phone. You enter your phone number and follow the steps to finding it. But you had to use that app.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
It can usually be activated on an overseas network. Also the glass front and back alone are worth at least a hundred to a shop that repairs broken iPhones.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
We used someone's else's iPhone that had the app downloaded to their phone. You enter your phone number and follow the steps to finding it. But you had to use that app.
That's exactly what I did. And since she had never set up the app, it didn't work...

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
It can usually be activated on an overseas network. Also the glass front and back alone are worth at least a hundred to a shop that repairs broken iPhones.
Nope, if the IMEI is blocked it is useless. I bet it will be used for spares.

Why would anyone steal it? Money.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
The real reason is because you let them-assuming your friend did not simply lose the phone. There's an asshole out there who will steal anything if you let them. Think about vandalism, which serves no purpose at all and yet occurs all the time. At least stealing something might make a few bucks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts