Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had to let the bike go. Buying a house and after I took the dive from getting my last bike stolen money was getting to tight.

Anyway, this kid and his dad come up from Virginia to North of Baltimore where I live. Dude is driving the top of the line Infinity and it was obvious the dad was buying the bike for his son. He asks if there is a parking lot to take it around in and I ride it over to one. The kid gets on it and it's clear he has never had any seat time on a bike. He could use the clutch but couldn't turn or lean for shit. Oh and get this, the dad asks the son if it's fast enough for him and the kid says "yea for a beginner bike, I'll get something b***** after I ride this one a little". We work out price and I take what they offer.

Then I'm like well now what? You’re going to pay me and leave the bike here or something? Nope the kid is going to ride it down 95 to 495 (one of the busiest roads in the country). It gets better. He gets on the bike and I give him the helmet, jacket, and gloves. Gives the jacket to his dad and gets on with sneakers and a t-shirt. Me and my buddy are just sitting there with our jaws dropped like your next ride is going to be to the morgue.

I hope he made it. I called him last night because I forgot to give them the bill of sale and he hasn't called back yet.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
I actually remember hearing about a motorcycle accident yesterday on the traffic report. I don't remember where but I hope that it was not him. That would truly be sad. It's not your fault however.

·
Registered
600 Posts
An R6.

For someone that's obviously never ridden a motorcycle before.

Such a beautiful little bike, almost certainly in 400 or so pieces by now. It's a sad day for that poor little Yammy.

Let's hope the kid made it... but then again, if he made it, he might have a chance to propagate. That doesn't seem like a very good thing, judging from his choices...

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the record I wanted to say something but the guys dad is right there and that's his job. I told them that I don't even like riding on 95 and I can ride pretty good.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
The dude must seriously want to get rid of his son. For the life of me, I can't comprehend buying an R6 for my young inexperienced son as his first bike and letting him jump on and head for the highway wearing no gear. :chair

Squid begets squid.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
PJFZ1 said:
I agree that it's not your fault (didn't want you to think I was insinuating that). It's just that I've seen too many good bikes sold to people that I just knew were goping to crash and ruin a perfectly good bike!
Forget the bike, for all we know, that kid is dead or in a hospitial but hopefully he is out enjoying his bike right now as I type. But honestly, who cares about the bike, they can be replaced, I hate seeing posts with people saying oh, that squid should have died if he hit my new car, or that poor bike. Stop being SO focused on the replacable machine, who REALLY CARES if the bike is ok when there is a dead rider, one of us, regardless if they were a squid or not with a sheet over them?

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
It is silly for the Dad to do that - but how many people comprehend the physics of driving thier own car, let alone a motorcycle - they think it's the same thing and little Johnny will do just fine!

So - contact this kid and let us know what happened!

Oober - I hate to see someone die, especially on a bike.. But it's unavoidable and there's not much you can do about people being ignorant.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wanna say your bike was a beauty...wish it were closer or I'd have bought it.

As far as the kid, more then likely since he thinks that its just a "begginers" bike that he'll ride for a few hundred miles then start stunting the crap outta it and completely destroy it.....thats what is really sad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
oober said:
Forget the bike, for all we know, that kid is dead or in a hospitial but hopefully he is out enjoying his bike right now as I type. But honestly, who cares about the bike, they can be replaced, I hate seeing posts with people saying oh, that squid should have died if he hit my new car, or that poor bike. Stop being SO focused on the replacable machine, who REALLY CARES if the bike is ok when there is a dead rider, one of us, regardless if they were a squid or not with a sheet over them?
Its called appreciation for a fine piece of machinery. Just like every time they crash up a beautiful collectors or exotic car in the movies. Makes me cringe.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I didn't know how to ride when I bought my bike.

Then again I took a friend with me to test ride it, trailered it home, then took msf before taking it on the street, and it was an 86 500...

Hope the kids ok, can't really blame yourself though, you needed the money and they wanted a way to get rid of the kid.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
JoeRider said:
Its called appreciation for a fine piece of machinery. Just like every time they crash up a beautiful collectors or exotic car in the movies. Makes me cringe.
Don't you think that I feel the same way when I see a exotic crashed, movie or not. It makes me sick, but it seems like there is a large portion of people here on the forum that are so obsessed with the material posessions that they are loosing sight of the big picture.

Yes there are several arguments here:
that guy is going to cause MY ins. to go up.
that guy is going to wreck MY car.
that guy is going to distroy that bike that I admire.

Me Me Me.... it seems that is all a lot of people on this board think very selfishly. Honestly who cares if a nice bike or car is wrecked as long as all parties involved are ok.

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
oober said:
Me Me Me.... it seems that is all a lot of people on this board think very selfishly. Honestly who cares if a nice bike or car is wrecked as long as all parties involved are ok.
Please be careful about stereotyping. I love my friends and life - I beleive we're here to enjoy it and not to amass material things. I detest the senseless loss of life.

I also realize that no matter what we do, it would be impossible to protect the ignorant from themselves, short of taking away all of our rights. Maybe we need to outlaw motorcycles so that ignorant people can't get hurt?

I hope the kid learns and does well, becomes gear-conscious and a great rider, maybe doing some trackdays and helping others learn to be good riders (I've lost count of the people I've helped).
But the odds are that he will damage the bike, possibly hurt himself, raise your insurance, make people think that bikes are bad, screw up other people's days, etc.. etc...

If you really want to make a difference, lobby your lawmakers for tiered licensing, harsher penalties for riding outside those limits or without an endorsement, etc.
Otherwise, accept that these people will keep getting to dispalay thier ignorance.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
PJFZ1 said:
Please be careful about stereotyping. I love my friends and life - I beleive we're here to enjoy it and not to amass material things. I detest the senseless loss of life.

I also realize that no matter what we do, it would be impossible to protect the ignorant from themselves, short of taking away all of our rights. Maybe we need to outlaw motorcycles so that ignorant people can't get hurt?

I hope the kid learns and does well, becomes gear-conscious and a great rider, maybe doing some trackdays and helping others learn to be good riders (I've lost count of the people I've helped).
But the odds are that he will damage the bike, possibly hurt himself, raise your insurance, make people think that bikes are bad, screw up other people's days, etc.. etc...

If you really want to make a difference, lobby your lawmakers for tiered licensing, harsher penalties for riding outside those limits or without an endorsement, etc.
Otherwise, accept that these people will keep getting to dispalay thier ignorance.

I agree with you post, and I admire that you are helping others learn to ride. You are correct in that we can not help the ignorant that don't want to be helped. My comment about many of the people on the board are selfish. I did not say everyone for a reason.

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
oober said:
I agree with you post, and I admire that you are helping others learn to ride. You are correct in that we can not help the ignorant that don't want to be helped. My comment about many of the people on the board are selfish. I did not say everyone for a reason.
Good to see that we're in agreement - It hits close to home because last night MotoMinx met a kid on an R-1 first bike, temp tags, entering the Dragon at Deals Gap, admitting he was going wide in the turns... She offered to lead him through at a safe pace, and he said no, his dad was doing it on a Harley...
Of course 5 minutes later he went wide in a turn, hit a delivery truck driven by a friend of hers, and got hurt.

We try to help people, but too don't understand what thier getting into. I wouldn't go try to perform heart surgery without the appropriate trining, but it's way too easy for people to get on a bike and THINK they'll be fine. After all, it's what thier granpa did on his Harley!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts